Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F1X or Triumph?

kpair

I've been trying to buy a 2006 HO Truimph 65inch with double venom bindings from boarder's paradise but they're having trouble finding it. I've also heard good things about the 2006 Connelly F1X with double stokers. Should I continue to hunt for the Triumph or should I audible to the F1X?

kpair

I can't speak specifically about the F1X but I have a Triumph and I am very happy with it. I'm far from a great skier but I can get pretty aggressive on it and it can handle it with ease. I have heard good things about the F1X so my thought is you would be happy with either ski. I would let you come try my Triumph out but it is a 71" with XXL bindings, I am guessing that is a little too big for you.

2 different skis, but for similar abilities - what kind of a skier are you? weight, height, mph, line length, course, how often do you ski, etc...

I've never skied on either, but from what I hear the F1x is a great advanced-course ski for the money and probably more advanced than the Triumph with less shape to it. the triumph may be a bit wider and more forgiving. Easier to get up on and slower to turn.

I just started learning to cut about a month ago and decided I needed a ski to fit me. With input from the "Crew", I bought a '06 Triumph 65" with HO Animals from Wiley's and I'm extremely happy with it. Some of the "Crew" spent a week @ Coble's Ski School so I went for a day to meet them and ended up running the novice course by the end of the day. My wife just learned to slalom 3 wks ago on a Connely SX widebody and the second weekend she was doing deep water starts on the Triumph w/ no problems.

Easy deep water starts and very agile. The additional width of the ski is very minor compared to a traditional shape. I'd say less than 1/2".

Edited by sliver
2 different skis, but for similar abilities - what kind of a skier are you? weight, height, mph, line length, course, how often do you ski, etc...

I've never skied on either, but from what I hear the F1x is a great advanced-course ski for the money and probably more advanced than the Triumph with less shape to it. the triumph may be a bit wider and more forgiving. Easier to get up on and slower to turn.

I am an aggressive skier although I seldom have access to a course. I weigh 140. I'm 5'5" and ski at 32mph at 15 off. I'm lucky if I can get all 6 buoys.

I ski a Connelly F1 and I am very pleased with it. I have been very happy with their products for a long time. I have only skied on Connelly and Goode skis, so I really can't comment on others.

I heard once that once you get used to one manufacturer (in my case HO) you should stay with that manufacturer. Is there any truth to that or would I be just as happy switching to Connelly?

I am an aggressive skier although I seldom have access to a course. I weigh 140. I'm 5'5" and ski at 32mph at 15 off. I'm lucky if I can get all 6 buoys.

I'd go for for the f1x over the triumph if I were you. More aggressive ski and you don't need the extra width of the triumph to help get you up being 140lbs. its also a cheaper ski.

hope this helps Biggrin.gif

I heard once that once you get used to one manufacturer (in my case HO) you should stay with that manufacturer. Is there any truth to that or would I be just as happy switching to Connelly?

maybe a little truth, but it depends on what you ski like. I know guys that don't like connelly because of the different tunnel design they had for years. It seems squirrelly (sp?) when flat - but in response to that; the ski isn't designed to be skied flat and its actually makes for a good transition.

other than that I would say there is not really any truth to it. you give me any new ski from any mfg and I will ski well on all of them. Some I will like more, others not as much, and it won't have anything to do with what I've been skiing on.

I ski both a connelly rocket and an obrien mapple.

Edited by H20ski Dude

I don't think that is the case. When I switched from a Concept to my Goode I was happy with the change. It took a couple of days to get used to the different performance but once I learned what the ski did it was easy. I recently purchased the F1 after skiing on the Goode foe quite some time and there was very little learning curve going from the Goode to the F1. I do tend to work on the fine adjustments of the fin quite a bit until I feel that the ski is tuned to where I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great advice. Just wanted to throw an update out there. I went with and demo closeout 06 Triumph 65inch with new double Phantom(aka Approach) boots for $300 shipped to my door from BoardersParadise. I should have it Friday and hope to try it out Saturday. After all Sat. is my B-day.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the great advice. Just wanted to throw an update out there. I went with and demo closeout 06 Triumph 65inch with new double Phantom(aka Approach) boots for $300 shipped to my door from BoardersParadise. I should have it Friday and hope to try it out Saturday. After all Sat. is my B-day.

I hope you enjoy it half as much as I am loving mine. I bought a 71" Triumph on an end of season deal from Sportsman in Winnipeg (329 Canuck bux for the blank). I've only skied on it 2 or 3 times and I am absolutely loving it. It is replacing an HO Magnum.

WQQW, $300 is a killer deal.

Happy BD, you will have a great time with the Triumph

I paid over $425 for my 67 Triumph with Wiley bindings from Wiley earlier this year. Let us know how you like it.

The HO Triumph is a system8 with 1/2" added to the middle...and I believe a little different composit.

Edited by awilco
WQQW, $300 is a killer deal.

I have bought most of our "good" equipment from Barry @ Sportsman. I just phone him & he mails it to me. I find that he is generally as good as or better pricing than Bart's & he always has stock or can get it. Plus he is a really nice guy to deal with.

Any fellow Canucks that are travelling through Winnipeg make sure to look them up. The store is just west of the football stadium - easy to get to north off Portage.