Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New fin

onamission

Anyone else try one of these fins. I changed mine yesterday and set it up the same way as the stock aluminum fin on my 06 D3 X5. The ski finish the turn, set up the angle and accelerated over to the next buoy much easier. Yahoo.gif I think I'm sold on one.

I had one on my Phantom, was a nice addition. I still have a pair that will fit the CDX, Phantom, ASX, Vengence, Burner, Charger, etc. $50 for the pair plus shipping

What is the advantage of carbon fiber on a fin?

I hope it's not weight!

Heres the sales pitch I got: Composite blades will have a softer flex and faster rebound, resulting in better consistency, smoother turns and a greater margin of error at the end of the turn. I don't claim to understand it all, Dontknow.gif but I liked the greater margin of error thing. Thumbup.gif

Edited by onamission

The idea is that Carbon fiber can be made to flex a little easier so you can run more fin in the water and increase stability while maintaining your turn radius. So you can run a deeper and longer fin to reduce the chance of blowing out your tail in a tight turn but, you can still turn.

I messed with several fins of different thickness and flex a couple years ago and I loved the turn smoothness but ultimately I found that while they do flex better in the turn and make that part nice I was also losing my angle down course because the ski was sliding a little and then I needed to have big turn. I couldn't figure out why it was getting harder to run the shortlines and finally went back to my AL. fin and instantly was holding my angle cross course and was early again and didn't need to make a big turn.

FWIW....

Anyone else try one of these fins. I changed mine yesterday and set it up the same way as the stock aluminum fin on my 06 D3 X5. The ski finish the turn, set up the angle and accelerated over to the next buoy much easier. Yahoo.gif I think I'm sold on one.

Hey Larry,

Who did you get this fin from and what numbers are you running for set-up?

Wing / no wing? Measured D3 style or HO style?

I'm intrigued by carbon fins, I just don't understand what would make them better unless there was some dramatic reduction in thickness while retaining strength. Hmmmmmmm...... Dontknow.gif

Bill: The fin is the 106+ from CarbonFins.com. Right now I'm running the same numbers I was with the stock fin. Measuring D3 method; Tail .735, Depth 2.490, Length 6.775 and the wing a 7degrees upside down. The shape and thickness is very close to the D3 fin.

Bill: "06" D3-X5 66 1/2" Those are the setting I've ended up with after some experimentation. Front boot is one hole forward and the rear is close to normal, (older KD rear boots have a different bolt pattern). Handling has been fantastic with either fin.

This is from the adjustment guide from my old KD7000 that I've been using.

Fin backward: Slow down your turns, large radius-accelerate faster.

Tail deeper: Holds better at the end of turn

Tip Shallower: Finish turn easier.

I may push the fin a little forward after a couple more sets.