Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

...Now on to the trailer! Advice Needed!

JimBoat88

I've put a ton (Blood sweat and $$) into the boat and it has been running like a dream over the past 2 months. Now, on to the trailer! I have a 1995 single axle that I decided I'm going to restore rather than replace. Two of the bunks have fallen off and all of the plates that hold them appear to be rusting off. I have a close friend that welds who told me he'd replace all the plates for $100 (I'm definitely going to give him more than what he is asking for) He just finished! Picture below:

35912087953_c7372540e4_z.jpg

I plan on replacing the bunks with 2x6 treated lumber and carpeting with bunk carpet from overtons. I've read you want to countersink the tops and bolt all the way through. Do you do that and then carpet the bunks? What if you need to get them off, would you have to remove the carpet?

My plan is to take a grinder to any surface rust and then prime and paint with some materials from Harbor Freight. Sound good?

Edited by JimBoat88
Spelling is hard
  • Like 1

Solid plan!  Check the ears where the fender carpets attach to, those are probably rusting off as well.

Yes on the procedure - lag bolt then staple the carpet around them.  Or, you can also carpet them and then cut a flap in where each bolt will drop down.  Sink your bolts in, then put the flap back over the bolt and hold it down with some liquid nails, that works too.  That's actually what I did with my boat lift bunks.

Thanks all! I guess it isn't as good as the picture looks. The welder just told me this is a two to five year fix plan.  "It's got alot of rust on all the brackets I welded.  I reinforced the really bad ones.  Welds aren't pretty but they ain't going anywhere." We'll see how much rust I'm dealing with when I pick it up I guess.

Consider using something like POR-15 or RustBullet on the rust rather than trying to grind it completely off.  Just remove the loose scale and use a rust converting paint.  It is nearly impossible to remove all rust without sandblasting.