Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need new tires - What to buy

macdaddy

Trailer tires, I assume?

I upgraded from the POS OEM tires to Goodyear Assurance earlier this year.  Incredible difference in how the boat tows.  They were pricey, but worth it, as we tow a lot.

I just replaced my tires last month.  From the research and forums out there the Maxxis seem to have the best reviews, the new model goodyear also seems to be good, and much better than their "Marathon" model.

With that said I got the cheapie Taskmasters, I tow once a year.

My 2016 Malibu trailer came with optional 18" wheels and Ohtsu ST5000 All-Season Radial Tires.   Love them.  Glad to get away from trailer only tires.  Better ride and load rating.  

Ohtsu Tire and Rubber is the parent company of a Sumitomo Rubber Industries brand, was launched in its native country of Japan in 1983 and introduced to the North American market two years later. 

Depends on what size rim you are running - in 14's it's hard to find a "non-trailer" tire with the load rating needed to handle the weights our boats and equipment require. 

• Like 3

I remember back when I was in my early 20's I was able to find some LT tires in a 14" that I used on a 21' Larson.  I don't remember having any trouble with those.

I've looked a couple times since, and can't find any non-ST tire that has the weight rating I need for a boat.

For me, it is hard to justify spending a couple grand to upgrade both tires and wheels.  Especially when that might lead to trailer modifications as well.  My buddy did it without trailer modification and has been satisfied.  If I were him, I would want to re-do the fenders, as the tires are too wide.

So would you put a car tire or a truck tire?  I have a 15" tire and it has a standard car tire on it...Hankook.  Had a tire come off coming home from Norris lake and I have to replace one.  Just do not know if I should get trailer tires....Decisions.

Mac

Before I got the Assurance, I would have said 100% go with a properly rated LT or P tire.  I am happy with what I have now though.  But I have only used them this season.  That said, I probably have 5000 miles on them so far.  I don't have any complaints right now.

Considering the terrain we go in, I'd gladly go with an AT tire. I doubt it would really do much as far as traction, but I know members down in SoCal & AZ, where it's hotter than Hades, that have used them without any problems.

6 hours ago, Joeprunc said:

I just replaced my tires last month.  From the research and forums out there the Maxxis seem to have the best reviews, the new model goodyear also seems to be good, and much better than their "Marathon" model.

With that said I got the cheapie Taskmasters, I tow once a year.

I just got a pair of Taskmaster also for my PWC trailer.  Don't have much choice in a 12" tire, but it already had Taskmaster on it that made it 8 years, so I got another set.

Just getting my Goodyear Endurance 8 plys installed today on my 14 inch rims.  Waiting for the install to occur now.  Would have liked to go 15 inch and 10 ply as I am single axle, and though I don't tow distances all the time, sometimes do over mountain passes and in remote areas. But my fenders won't allow it.  And the Endurances got good reviews in my thread on this topic a few weeks ago, and should be better than the old Marathons I had.

Edited by sunvalleylaw

Sorry I am late to the party. I know several of the big go-fast guys that tow a ton of weight long distances and they all swear by the kenda karrier tires. They have had blowouts on lots of others, but these seem to hold. A buddy put them under his 28ft chaparral and loves them. He was losing tires before that. 

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Is that a picture illusion or are the tires really far towards the back of fenders?  If they are it indicates your leaf springs are sagging.

Hmm. Never thought about that.  I just went out and looked.  It is not as bad as the pics, but a little bit back.  The trailer is a 1998 also, and the PO did not trailer much after moving to lakeside with a lift at his community dock a long time ago, but it is highly possible the springs are getting there.  Will have to look into that.  Doesn't look like they are too hard to replace.  I meant to have the guys look at the brakes too, but forgot.  Those may also need service.  But all the lights work! :) That is better than most trailers I have ever owned, particularly the ones we dumped into salt water all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 11:31 AM, sunvalleylaw said:

Just getting my Goodyear Endurance 8 plys installed today on my 14 inch rims.  Waiting for the install to occur now.  Would have liked to go 15 inch and 10 ply as I am single axle, and though I don't tow distances all the time, sometimes do over mountain passes and in remote areas. But my fenders won't allow it.  And the Endurances got good reviews in my thread on this topic a few weeks ago, and should be better than the old Marathons I had

I had a blow out on the way to Lake Guntersville from Ohio.  Used the spare to get there, then bought a set of the new Goodyear Endurance tires. They are great, had a smooth ride back home to Ohio.

John

• Like 1