Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need new tires - What to buy

macdaddy

5 hours ago, dalt1 said:

My boats are always garaged except for the time we are on the lake every weekend through summer. Have not had a set make it past 4 years since the early 2000 year. Goodyear, Carlisle, High run, I have tried multiple makers all the same junk. I think these boats and trailers are so close to capacity that it over taxes the C rating. 

This is why I sacrificed for the 18’’s and triples on the new 25lsv. I had so many tire problems on my 07

• 1 month later...

Ordered up a full set of goodyear endurance in a D rating from etrailer.  Got 7 years out of 3 of the original tires, 5 out of the other.  Now I get to look forward to the joy of hand mounting 4 tires

Edited by oldjeep
7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Now I get to look forward to the joy of hand mounting 4 tires

We have a mobile tire guy that mounts and balances in his cargo trailer.  He doesn't seem to care if you buy from him or not, he has a flat fee per tire.  Saves the hassle of either doing two at a time or putting the whole thing on blocks.  Might be an option. 

6 minutes ago, wakesonthesnake said:

We have a mobile tire guy that mounts and balances in his cargo trailer.  He doesn't seem to care if you buy from him or not, he has a flat fee per tire.  Saves the hassle of either doing two at a time or putting the whole thing on blocks.  Might be an option. 

I've got issues paying to have trailer tires mounted.  It's a good workout. 

Or why would guy want to do that?  I think Discount Tire charges $10/tire to mount and balance. 

When I need something done I drop it off, walk across the parking lot to the Mexican restaurant, and have lunch. Win-win. 

25 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Or why would guy want to do that?  I think Discount Tire charges $10/tire to mount and balance. 

When I need something done I drop it off, walk across the parking lot to the Mexican restaurant, and have lunch. Win-win. 

Typical cost is $10 off and $10 on for carry in and then another $7 if you balance trailer tires (I don't).  $80 I could spend on something else

2 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

How on earth do you mount a tire by hand...do you have a 60" chest and 22" arms?

2 tire irons, and some dish soap or 303.  Pretty easy.  Takes about 10 minutes to get one off and 5 to put one on.  The lower the profile tire the harder it is.  I've been doing it for many years, so I'm pretty good at it.  I have upgraded to using a wood stand now.  The home depot buckets tend to crush when you jump on them ;)  Tires should be here in a few days.

And nope.  Typical 6ft 185lb 49 year old dad bod guy

IMAG0650.jpg

IMAG0651.jpg

IMAG0652.jpg

IMAG0653.jpg

WP_20150715_003.jpg

WP_20150715_004.jpg

WP_20150715_005.jpg

WP_20150715_006.jpg

WP_20150715_007.jpg

WP_20150715_009.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
34 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Ever use a little spray bottle and a little flame to get it seated.   I haven’t done that since high school.  :)

Only with huge jeep tires. Ether and a match.  Most tires are happy to seat with air through the stem. 

On 3/31/2019 at 2:01 PM, hethj7 said:

Ever use a little spray bottle and a little flame to get it seated.   I haven’t done that since high school.  :)

Have to almost every year on my wheelbarrow! :rofl: