Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust modifation

chathamsolutions

Thumbup.gif I like it... straight pipes huh.. thought about doing that - though not sure that it would provide better throttle response (better throttle sound for sure) Edited by SacRiverRat

A fellow crew member, tyuhas, bypassed his muffler in a similar way. It's LOUD, but it does sound awesome. He has the Monsoon and you can hear them coming and going from a long long way away. It seems like his throttle reponse is better also.

Edit: BTW, you don't have to spend a ton of money on something like this. It looks pretty easy to mod with cheap parts from the hardware store.

Edited by jshap

I think I'll pass on this one.

I don't like the boats you can hear rumbling from a mile away. They are usually the ones with no freeboard, lots of chrome hanging off the engine popping up in the back of the boat. There is also usually a woman way past her prime in a string bikini drinking a beer right beside the guy with the beer belly in a Nascar t-shirt behind the wheel. Did I hit enough stereotypes?

I don't like the boats you can hear rumbling from a mile away. They are usually the ones with no freeboard, lots of chrome hanging off the engine popping up in the back of the boat. There is also usually a woman way past her prime in a string bikini drinking a beer right beside the guy with the beer belly in a Nascar t-shirt behind the wheel. Did I hit enough stereotypes?

I think I saw them out on the river last weekend, the guy was kneeboarding in his cutoff jeans and an old ripped up ski vest.

You must read Hotboat Magazine. :)

I must admit that, although it would end up getting annoying after a while, the sound of that engine is pretty cool. It's a very gutteral exhaust sound....very powerful. Sometimes I start my boat just a few seconds before it hits on the water on the lift just to hear the rumble.

That being said, I like a quiet boat. I don't like not being able to hear anything when underway because of engine noise. I'd like to make mine even quieter if I could.

I've converted over to preferring a quieter boat. When I went to the dealer to get my boat, I was all excited about the V8 roar. As a matter of fact, I said to the salesman "This thing doesn't have mufflers, right?" He showed me the Primex silencers and I told him he was going to have to take those out of there. He said to give it a few months, and if I still didn't want them, he'd take them out. They are still there, and I'm looking into sound deadening the engine cover and maybe some silent riders this winter.

Is that boat really noticeably louder than stock? And don't give me the crap about v-drives being so much quieter. From inside the boat, sure. But from shore my neighbor's Sunscape sounds just like my Response pulling up a skier and motoring down the lake.

I don't think the V8 rumble that many of us desire has to equate with loud. I think you can enjoy that same sound @5 dB less.

I have the Rlxi w/ Monsoon with no silent riders and at speeds over about 25 mph, the wind noise is far louder than the engine. At higher speeds, I can't even hear the engine over the wind while sitting in the back seat.

I think the idea is cool. But the video needs serious help. For some reason the word "wally" kept popping up in my head as I was watching the guy do laps around the lake...

And if you were trying to sell a product based on sound and performance try giving a before and after comparison and ditch the music... Who wants to listen to a song when we are trying to hear the roar!

Imagine surfing behind a boat with that mod.

Not only do you have to worry about CO poisoning, now you have to worry about going DEAF at an early age!

I think the idea is cool. But the video needs serious help. For some reason the word "wally" kept popping up in my head as I was watching the guy do laps around the lake...

And if you were trying to sell a product based on sound and performance try giving a before and after comparison and ditch the music... Who wants to listen to a song when we are trying to hear the roar!

I hate to agree with a wakeboarder, but, what he said. Biggrin.gif

I don't see how adding two 90 degree angles to your exhaust path is going to help your performance...That doesn't sound any different than my 10 year old blown out mufflers.

I would rather hear the engine than that sound track they added to the video clip ROFL.gif

I must admit that, although it would end up getting annoying after a while, the sound of that engine is pretty cool. It's a very gutteral exhaust sound....very powerful. Sometimes I start my boat just a few seconds before it hits on the water on the lift just to hear the rumble.

That being said, I like a quiet boat. I don't like not being able to hear anything when underway because of engine noise. I'd like to make mine even quieter if I could.

:(

you're ruining your impeller

it only takes a couple seconds to get hot without water