Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken ribs

JAGMAN

ilovetrains...That's brutal. You need some protective gear for your daily activites.

I'm not the most coordinated guy. I have the scars to prove it.

On the plus side the original poster is probably thinking, hey my problem doesn't sound so bad. Shocking.gif

i got a buddy w a scar on his forhead from passing out in a po0per stall...at work...he was awoke by his coworker from the next stall..its a great sotry ;)

-krak

At LOTO trying to impress a girl I shot a 6 foot wall of water on her on the dock with a jetski. I then throttled out of the hole and ran the length of the dock. I was looking backward over my shoulder and ran straight into a dock pole. Broke 12 ribs (lost my splee, part of my left lung, panceas and pierced my heart.) 6 months of rehab later, I had the girl who was more sympathetic than impressed and re-broke 2 of the ribs. (they had never knit fully together.)

And people wonder why Lake of the Ozarks keeps getting all the bad rap about being the most dangerous lake!

Sorry trains... ;) Great story though!

Well, the one time that I've had any broken ribs was last fall after completing a half-raley."

Good thing you weren't able to do a full raley!!!!!!!!! Biggrin.gif

It's the "half" part that hurt me. :)

ROFL.gif I was wondering what a "half" raley was!

Well, the one time that I've had any broken ribs was last fall after completing a half-raley."

Good thing you weren't able to do a full raley!!!!!!!!! Biggrin.gif

It's the "half" part that hurt me. :)

ROFL.gif I was wondering what a "half" raley was!

Here's a link to a picture that they managed to get right before I went in:

Wipeout thread

Broken ribs aren't too bad. Just as long as you don't:

sleep on your side, back or stomach

sneeze

cough

hiccup

breathe

other than that....

I broke some ribs playing "flag" football (turkey bowl 2001). Every time I thought they were getting better, I'd sneeze and double over in pain, which, of course caused more pain. I found it very difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position. Like everyone has said, about 6 weeks.

sneeze

cough

hiccup

breathe

other than that....

I broke some ribs playing "flag" football (turkey bowl 2001). Every time I thought they were getting better, I'd sneeze and double over in pain, which, of course caused more pain. I found it very difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position. Like everyone has said, about 6 weeks.

You forgot "laugh" .....

sneeze

cough

hiccup

breathe

other than that....

You forgot "laugh" .....

That about covers all the things that make it hurt right now. Great heads up on the sneezes, I've stifled a few before they got out of hand thanks to this thread. I think that if a sneeze sneaks through, it will be debilitating and may be severe enough to re-injur my ribs for the near future. Thanks....

• 2 weeks later...
Sneezing was by far the work thing.

I broke a rib early this summer too. I was goofing off on TWO SKIS and landed on the wake on my side. I was wearing my barefoot suit, but still crunched it!

I found out that my body was actually able to inhibit a sneeze due to the pain. I would never have believed it, but when I felt the sneeze coming, I got scared as the pain started to increase and then, "mini kachuuuu". I had very subdued sneeze. This happened for a couple weeks (attenuated sneezes). Weird how the body works! I'm not sure why I'm writing this??? But it was cool! ;)

I found out that my body was actually able to inhibit a sneeze due to the pain. I would never have believed it, but when I felt the sneeze coming, I got scared as the pain started to increase and then, "mini kachuuuu". I had very subdued sneeze. This happened for a couple weeks (attenuated sneezes). Weird how the body works! I'm not sure why I'm writing this??? But it was cool! ;)

I've managed to stifle all sneezes except one for the past two weeks. The one that got by hurt like hell, but I let that one through just to see how bad it was. Obviously I am not the smartest....

In the meantime, I have been looking at vests hoping to find one that will help to prevent this in the future. I hurt them initially riding with a Jetpilot Falcon comp vest. A few days later I broke them wearing a Jetpilot Cell block USCGA vest. Any other advice? (other than being a better wakeboarder)

BTW holding your nose is the way to prevent sneezes, though it is not as satisfying as the sneeze itself.

Edited by jaguimond

I just broke a rib last monday....wakesurfing. I mean come on!! Wakesurfing? Seems that I tried a spin manuever and went down with the board and some how it shot back at me underwater with the tip going straight into my rib cage. I wonder how much worse it could have been without a life vest. Anyways, I can relate to all the problems with coughing, sleeping, sneezing, laughing and hicups.

We were out last Monday at the private pond waiting on some realives that were meeting us to let the teenage kids ski one last time before fall. The wind was nil and the water was glass. I was eating it up!! My best slalom runs have all been at 34-never been able to put togather a 36 mph pass. I figured now was the perfect time. The CFO, who is 36 weeks pregnant so I can't be too mad at, was driving. Set up on one end of course is a little tighter than usually due to low water levels and one of the 55m bouys was missing. Anyway, she came into the gates needing to adjust boat coarse, whch she did right as I was hitting the foam on the left side of the wake. I did one of the most spectacular out-the fronts I could ever imagine. My daughter, 3.5 year old spotter extrodinare, was all excited because "daddy did a big flip!" At first I was more worried about my left knee whcih didn't feel quite right. Later the pain set into my ribs low and on the side. I can't say I remember hearing them pop but I swear something is broken.

Ditto about the sneezes. Allergy season is about to kill me!!!