Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken ribs

JAGMAN

Had a bad crash yesterday, launched, went sideways in the air and landed right on my ribs, CRACK! I was wearing a life vest but it wasn't enough to absorb the impact. Hurt like hell, had to be helped out of the water. I was glad to be wearing my USCG approved vest at the time, it was allot like having the wind knocked out of me (except with shooting pain) and couldn't take deep breaths. Bottom line, if I'd been wearing my non USCG approved vest (which requires me to have a full breath of air to float) I could've been in trouble.

I will be out of action for a couple of weeks at least. May try to take up wakesurfing in a few weeks prior to being ready to climb back onto the wakeboard. Anyone have any tips on healing my ribs or tips on how not to break them in the future while wakeboarding. Greatly appreciated.

java script:emoticon('Mad.gif',%20'smid_9')

Anyone have any tips on healing my ribs or tips on how not to break them in the future while wakeboarding. Greatly appreciated.

java script:emoticon('Mad.gif',%20'smid_9')

Uh, don't fall? Biggrin.gif

Hearing your description of your fall took me back to the Michigan Clinic with skisix Memorial Day weekend. I had what sounds like the same scenario as you, only with a comp vest. Took what seemed like an eternity to get any air into my lungs, but that just meant water couldn't get in there either! :lol: Boat got back quickly enough for me to hang on the swim platform for a while.

Funny thing was it took me about six weeks to be able to sleep well at night, but it didn't hurt bad enough to keep me from skiing. Crazy.gif Are you sure you actually broke them, vs. just bruising them? I thought for sure the day of the spill that I had broken mine - I know the sound you heard from inside your body, and I know the pain you felt. In the end, I don't think I actually broke them. Here's hoping you are that lucky!

BTW - Thought for the day: Ibuprofen. LOTS of Ibuprofen...

Don't watch Blue Collar comedy tv ROFL.gif .......

Seriously, I was told there is really nothing you can do for a cracked rib. I cracked two ribs once from a barefoot fall. I would occasionally wear a rib belt but the doctor told me to limit it's use. He said I needed to breathe and the rib belt could cause neumonia. Mine only hurt bad when I laughed, coughed, or sneezed....The sneeze is a Killer. You can't hardly control them.

Edited by Sunset_Bob
Don't watch Blue Collar comedy tv ROFL.gif .......

Seriously, I was told there is really nothing you can do for a cracked rib. I cracked two ribs once from a barefoot fall. I would occasionally wear a rib belt but the doctor told me to limit it's use. He said I needed to breathe and the rib belt could cause neumonia. Mine only hurt bad when I laughed, coughed, or sneezed....The sneeze is a Killer. You can't hardly control them.

Yup!

Try to stetch, if possible so that you other muscles don't spasm/lock up. The popping thing was the worse :ouch: My buddy and I tried Chiropractics but it only helped marginally. We each broke ribs/bruided ribs about 3 years apart. So I know your pain.

IMO, your done for at least 6 weeks. Wakesurfing will still take some pull trying to get up, and believe me, the pain will overcome.

What Steward said. You may want to go get an X-Ray just to be sure. That will let you know how long you need to take it easy. Bruised - do what you can when you can. Broken - give it a rest for longer - should be pretty much healed in about 6 weeks. You don't want to aggrevate the condition & possibly puncture a lung. Listen to your Dr. - I'm am not one.

I broke mine cleanly up under my left arm & could feel the ends of the rib clicking against each other. The break was too high for a rib belt as it would just interfere with my breathing. It took about 2 weeks for it to re-attach & I was skiing (taking it easy) in about 5 weeks. I broke it in the middle of August, so the 5 week ski was the end of my season here.

Sneezing was by far the work thing.

You have to get an x-ray, the worst thing is if they are not lined up correctly they take longer to heal.

I have broken 12 ribs total. 6 twice. 2 three times. It sucks. The last time I should have taken the doc's advice and done physical therapy. I babied it for 2 months and then had lost so much core strength it took another month before I felt functional.

Also be careful in the bedroom. I re-broke 2 before they healed all the way. Let's just leave it right there, OK?

My roomate broke two ribs six weeks ago tomorrow after a bad fall. There is really nothing you can do. He couldn't even come out on the boat for the first week or so because the water is so rough crossing the main channel at my lake. He couldn't handle the chop. Anyway, he started surfing after about three weeks. The doc told him about six weeks recovery, he is feeling good so we are skipping out on work tomorrow for the six week boarding celebration.

Which I am happy b/c now I will have my driver back full time! Biggrin.gif

I have broken 12 ribs total. 6 twice. 2 three times.
Crazy.gif Must be that new math...6 twice (6x2=12) + 2 three times (2x3=6)...12+6=12... Crazy.gif ... :lol: ... Tease2.gif
Also be careful in the bedroom. I re-broke 2 before they healed all the way. Let's just leave it right there, OK?
:lol: Yeah...right. Innocent.gif
Also be careful in the bedroom. I re-broke 2 before they healed all the way.

You should of never let her climb aboard the train before it was ready to leave the station! :lol:

12 ribs total, if counting the individual ribs, not the number of times broken.

LOTO tends to be rough on a person. 6 months of rehab leaves you feeling well, aggresive.

I have broken 12 ribs total. 6 twice. 2 three times.
Crazy.gif Must be that new math...6 twice (6x2=12) + 2 three times (2x3=6)...12+6=12... Crazy.gif ... :lol: ... Tease2.gif
Dontknow.gif What? Crazy.gif

Isn't that 8 then? The 6 twice, counted 1 time for individual rib, not times...Then two more three times, but counted 2 since it's individual ribs not times...

That's 8 right? 6 + 2 = 8?

I broke 3 on my left side a couple of years ago. Long story, but it didn't happen behind a boat. I wound up with pneumonia in my left lung over it b/c I couldn't cough hard enough to clean out the lung. After a bottle of percocets, and 4 weeks of laying low, I was back to 80-90%. It was a good 3 months before I was back to 100%. Take it easy, and limit your movement as much as you can. The more you do, the longer they will take to heal.

MM

Also be careful in the bedroom. I re-broke 2 before they healed all the way.

You should of never let her climb aboard the train before it was ready to leave the station! :lol:

Now that's funny :lol:

This thread is getting out of hand Biggrin.gif Here's a guy looking for some medical advice and suddenly the thread has been subverted to at least an "R" rating Crazy.gif Tracie, I think it's time you performed a hostile takeover on this thread and set it back on track Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif

I thought I was the only one with a rib problem. :lol:

I've injured mine twice this year, but not broken. It did take the wind out of me both times though.

No medical advice here, other than rest, but I thought you might enjoy the story...

The first rib injury was my first time out this year, first time with our boat. My wife had never pulled anyone before and I was the guinea pig. She forgot to turn on the speed control. She got up to speed and I started going in and out of the wake. At some point she decided she wasn't close enough to the speed I had asked for and gunned it as I was edging. Pulled me forward, caught the front edge... the rest is history.

I'm healed and my wife has become a much better driver now, but I re-bruised it a few weeks ago when I wiped out skiing.

Well, the one time that I've had any broken ribs was last fall after completing a half-raley. After it happened, I went back to the houseboat & medicated myself with Tokillya. I really don't remember much of the weekend after that. Crazy.gif Like the others have said, it was about 6 weeks before I was back to normal. And yeah, sneezes were brutal.

Well, the one time that I've had any broken ribs was last fall after completing a half-raley."

Good thing you weren't able to do a full raley!!!!!!!!! Biggrin.gif

OK - I'll try and explain this ina PG (maybe PG-13) way.

At LOTO trying to impress a girl I shot a 6 foot wall of water on her on the dock with a jetski. I then throttled out of the hole and ran the length of the dock. I was looking backward over my shoulder and ran straight into a dock pole. Broke 12 ribs (lost my splee, part of my left lung, panceas and pierced my heart.) 6 months of rehab later, I had the girl who was more sympathetic than impressed and re-broke 2 of the ribs. (they had never knit fully together.)

Fast forward to a couple years ago. Boat is on the lift and I putting the cover on. Decide to jump from top of boat to dock, backwards. Miss dock, catch the steel rail of lift on my way down, broke 4 ribs, had broken before, including the 2 that were broken twice.

Does that make sense? Probably not.

Alcohol was involved in the first and second episodes. Sober in the third, thought I had learned my lesson.