Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to upgrade?

06vride

I'm not the most knowledgeable boater out there, so maybe you guys can help. I bought my 06 VRide new. I did the factory tour and everything, and watched it being built. Pretty cool experience. 

Now I have kids at the age where they really enjoy going out on the boat. Last few years I am getting bigger and bigger groups on the boat. Kids are still young enough we can still fit, but we are running out of room. Just had 3 dads 1 mom and 8 kids on the boat, and that's about maxed out for it. Most of the time we just cruise, tube, or swim. Not too much boarding with the whole group on board, because I'm worried about sinking boat if I fill up 2000+lbs of ballast  

Too many injuries to wakeboard anymore, so I just started to try surfing, and I'm hooked. I suck, but it's fun. All my buddies got into it too. I "transformed" the boat as much as a could into a surf boat. Replaced the rear tanks with 820lb sacs, got a wakeshaper, a board and new racks. I have no idea if the boat puts out a good surf wave, because I got nothing to compare to. But seems ok to me. 

My question is, are the new style boats going to put out a crazy better surf wake? My daughter is at the age where she wants to start surfing. Not sure if it would be easier or harder on newer boat with bigger wave. 

My other dilemma is, this boat has been a rockstar. It hasn't given me any provlems (knock on wood). How rare is it to get suck a reliable boat, and would it be smart to let go of one? 

My closest dealer is a Supra/Moomba dealer, and last time I was in for service, the Craz caught my eye. 

I'll take any comments, criticism, etc...

• Like 1

Welcome to TMC! My best surfing buddy and the guy who got me into boating some years ago has the same boat as you and we'll surf it just fine when we only have his boat available but it's a smaller, shortish wave. I have a 2008 23 LSV that's bigger and puts out a wave quite a bit bigger so he and others in the local crew will chose to take my LSV over the VRide every time I ask if they want to take the VRide. We also have a friend with a 2017 23 LSV we surf with that we'll all drop everything and rearrange work schedules to get out when he offers to pull us.

My point is that every generation of newer boat has gotten a lot better in creating surf waves due to extra displacement and hull shape, and that makes surfing easier and more enjoyable for us. If you haven't been on a newer boat, arrange to demo and see it for yourself.

As for beginners, they can learn to surf on either but you can rationalize that a newer boat will be better for her to learn on if you want an excuse to go demo. Unless you don't want to spend any $, then don't demo anything.

Im hardly true resource, but Ill chime in my $.02 anyway.

• Go demo a few boats.   Get a pull from someone with a new boat.   Do whatever you can to experience it in person.   Maybe I am weird, but if another boat owner told me they were in the market, and wanted a pull I would go out of my way to do it.
  • I resemble your remarks about wakeboarding, and surfing.    I bought the VLX because I wanted a surf capable boat.   I suck too, but I am hooked beyond belief.   As soon as I climb back into the boat, I am already planning what I will try next time.
  • I experienced the same thing as you with my last boat.  I bought an older Crownline as my first boat (17 years when I bought it).  I ran it three seasons, and it never gave me a bit of trouble.   I figured buying that old of a boat I was going to be doomed to at least a couple of midseason issues, and I never was.   Quality of care is everything... the PO took great care of it, and so did I.   I was worried that even buying new maybe I wouldnt be lucky twice.   Im 69 hours in, and the VLX is running like a champ.  I have no reason to believe it will not continue to do that.

For reference, I am no master wake tuner.    This wake is stock VLX + 550 PNPs in the back (bow, center, rear hard tanks, PNP).   This was with a small crew, so I didnt have the rears fully filled, and the wake was not even as clean as i would have liked, but it had a ton of push, and was plenty long.   

DkbCXD7.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 2017 LSV, if you have kids they are going to start bringing friends.  This is a great thing because you get to spend time with your kids.

I would recommend a boat with a surf system.  They are easy to dial in and people can sit anywhere in the boat.  You can immediately go goofy or regular side surfers.  Time is so valuable on the water having to switch sides and fill and drain ballast is a headache. It's also easier to drive the boat being level which is a plus for my wife or son when they tow me.

For most average Joe surfers these newer boats will produce a nice surf wave with relatively light to moderate weight in them. (Hard tanks, wedge and some rear bags).  For the 1%ers you can always start slamming them heavy to ramp up the waves.

I had 10 teenagers and adults on my LSV Saturday.   It easily accommodates this crew size comfortably.  We could roll through everyone surfing then immediately switch to wakeboarding.

I have owned both non surfgate boats and surfgate boats.  Would never be able to go back to a listed boat.  I have been ruined by the surf systems and how easy they are for everyone.

You asked about reliability? I have 78 hours on my LSV and it's been a fantastic boat.   New Ford Raptor power plant is great.

Just my .02...

We just upgraded from an 02 Mastercraft X-10 to a 17 21 VLX.  Our decision was based on a few things.  We knew we were done with the X-10---it was showing signs of wear, tranny, gel coat, interior... it was just time (it was the best boat we have ever had!!!).  Plus, shifting to the surfing side of boating, I was having to carry extra sacks... uggghhh! 

We decided on new for a few reasons.  I hate the idea of buying someone else's headaches or problems... i know this isn't always the case, but I have had the misfortune of buying several used items that were abused but didn't look like it.  

Early on, we knew we wanted to stay at 21' so we could put the boat in the garage.  I was fixed on malibu, mostly for their reputation, but also the looks and innovation.  My wife and I actually went to a dealership to set up a demo on an Axis (figuring that I'd settle for the quality but give up innovation).  As we spoke to the dealer, he told us about the MB Tomcat.  Said he could probably work the price better for us that the axis or malibu.  It sounded like a great boat, great company, great deal, so we actually demo'd that.  It was a very nice boat, but something didn't sit right.  So I asked if we could demo the Malibu and it just fit right!!!

We had 7 adults and 5 kids the the boat Saturday... it was tight but doable... although, with that many I prefer to have a patio boat for half the people to be on anyway (which we had for most of the day)...

moral of the story, DEMO.  

Good luck!

Edited by SonicVLX

Great info. Thanks for the replies. That dealercost site is cool. Kind of like a truecar for boats. 

I'm usually not sentimental about toys, but it's hard to know when it's "time" for the new boat. My boat still looks great, since its stored in garage it's whole life. And it's pretty low hours, since we had about 4-5 years where we had kids and they were too young to go out. So I only have 130hours on it. Even now, we can be on the lake all weekend, and only run engine for 5-10 hours. 

I know boat demo is the most important thing. But I'm such an irresponsible and impulsive buyer, I will end up buying anything. I bought my current boat at a boat show I was just attending with a friend. I had no intention of buying a boat, and don't even have a place to put it. But, that didn't stop me from coming home a new boat owner. 

If I gave a list of important features, maybe you can steer me in right direction. Like I said, I will probably buy the first boat i demo. 

Becaue of garage, I need no bigger than 22' with a easily foldable tower. 

Most important features

1. Reliability 

2. Reliability

3. Reliability. 

If it throws a great surf wake, that would be awesome too. But I'm not going to be in the X-Games any time soon. 

I guess I should mention the boats that caught my attention. The Axis T22 looks really nice and moomba Craz. I like the Axis mainly because of the Malibu connection. I figure it would be comparable to my boat. The Malibu dealer I bought from became a moomba/Supra dealer. They've been decent to me, so i would be open to switching brands to stay with them. 

For us, going from a 2000 VLX to our '16 LSV was definitely worth it.  As @Fman alluded to, ease of use is a huge factor and we are spending way more time on the boat than we used to. I know there are lemons out there, but we have had zero major issues with our boat and just a few minor ones in now 100+ hours of use. 

Keep in mind even at 22', a garage may be tight.  All these new boats just seem massive compared to the previous generations.  Measure carefully   

I assume the T22 will get the power wedge as an option in 2018 so definitely keep it on the list. I can't speak much to Moomba - they do seem nicer each year at the boat shows but I do not know how their wake and surf systems perform. Certainly if reliability is at the top of your list, having a nearby dealer that can quickly resolve issues may be a huge factor in the decision.  

Demo'd the T22. Handles very nice. But the sensors kept having glitches during the demo. Bad sign. 

Havent driven an NXT22 yet, but sat in one at dealer. Really like it. Seems really well made. The cushions and everything on board seemed very high end even though it was a entry level boat (at $70 freakin k!) 

Im shocked at the resale value of my boat. I wish my trucks kept their value like this boat did. 

Now all I can think about is getting a new boat. Great.....

I am up on the fence about biting the bullet and just trading mine in.  I looked at the '18 Craz and was really impressed! I had a hard time believing it was a Moomba.  I haven't looked at the NXT line yet.

If I do trade mine it, I think I am capping my possibilities at the realistic $80k and under mark, so here is the list I have thought about so far in no particular order:

1) Moomba Craz/Mojo

2) Malibu 21' VLX - $80k

3) Axis T22/T23 - I do not like the little bimini and want a tower that is easy to fold by myself so Axis may not work for me.

4) 2-3 yr old Malibu LSV/Supra SA-SE

5) 3-4 yr old Nautique G21 with no warranty left on it

54 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Can you really get item 3 for less than $80?  Guessing that may be tough.  

I would think so, talking 14-15 models right now since not many '18 models out yet.  Item #4 is a lot tougher though from a dealer anyway!

Forgot Axis was #3, was thinking you were talking about a used Malibu, and finding a used G21 at $80k has been pretty tough.

Edited by jwl019

Item 3 being the Axis? For what it's worth, the local dealer in CA prices me just under $69 for new  '17 T22, pretty well equipped. Had the 3 hard tanks and 3 extra soft bags, stereo, bikini, surfgate, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. Just didn't care for how the interior felt. The pop up "chillax" seat kept getting stuck, no hinged seat cushions, sensors (mentioned above), and the snapout carpet felt pretty rough (maybe on purpose). My VRide felt much more luxurious inside than the T22.... and the NXT for that matter. But it did handle very nice. 

Looks like your leaning new but I am on my 3rd used Malibu 01, 04 and now 11 VLX and with the exception of the touch screen on the 11 (replaced before it broke) each boat has been a huge step up and rock solid reliable. At my age the 2011 will probably be my last wakeboat. I will use it till I am done.

I would definitely go for used. Would love to get a used 21 or 22 vlx with the surfgate. Just haven't had the opportunity to check one out.  I'm not sure how much "tech" is on the earlier surfgate models, but I'm a little hesitant to buy one with a bunch of digital stuff. one of the reasons I think my boat has done so well is because there's not much to go wrong with all the analog on it. I plan/hope on keeping this new one for quite a while. 

Ya I like that 5 year warranty. Plus it doesn't look like there is a huge price difference between new and a 2-3 year old VLX. Maybe I'm just not looking in right place, but looks like those things hold value really well. 

Ended up listing my boat for sale. Got a lot of interest. If anyone has a similar boat, vRide or 2002-2004 VLX, maybe you can answer question for me. My boat was "budget or intro line" boat when I bought it. But the interior and vinyl feels high end. These new budget boats, they feel like they have striped down vinyl and interior. I get its not going to be as nice as the Malibus or Supras, but I it seems like I'm taking a step back on fit and finish. Do you feel thats the case? 

I think the styling is just different for the new boats.  I remember when we bought our 2006 VLX that we thought the full carpeting made it "extra luxurious".  Now, I'm ready to replace it with Sea Dek even though the carpet is still in mint condition (we've always had a carpet saver).  The interiors of the new boats are a lot more square than they used to be.  It just changes the look.

I'm in  a similar position as you as far as a new boat.  The entire family surfs now and someone only occasionally wakeboards.  A newer 23+ foot boat would be a welcome increase in wake and space for all the kids' friends that end up coming.

3 hours ago, 06vride said:

These new budget boats, they feel like they have striped down vinyl and interior. I get its not going to be as nice as the Malibus or Supras, but I it seems like I'm taking a step back on fit and finish. Do you feel thats the case? 

I get that feeling when I sit in the budget line. Up until this year, I could not sit in a Moomba and consider it a possibility.  It was something about the previous tower, dash, square corners, drivers seat, etc that I just did not like. This year when I sat in the Craz, it felt a lot better. I am not sure if it was due to the better looking tower or dash but it wasn't as bad as what I remembered from a couple years before when I glanced at them.

The Axis has improved a lot too, and at first the new dash seemed ugly to me and the previous one I thought looked even worse, but it has slowly grown on me. If the Axis had shocks or some sort of tower assist to help lower it, I probably would have bought one at the end of last year.

I really want to stay in the Malibu family. Expanding my search to include the 23'. Just means I have to take off the swim platform ever time I garage it. 

The dealer I originally bought from,became a Supra/moomba dealer. They told me they dropped the Malibu line because of quality issues. They had too many problems with the newer boats. They said after I bought my boat, Malibu was bought and sold a couple times and became more interested in making money for investors than making good boats. 

I know a lot of that is salesmanship. But for those who have owned a couple different malibus, did you notice any drop off in quality? I don't know a lot about the boat industry, but I know you don't stay the #1 most sold boat if you are making lemons. But my dealer said, they are #1 because they crank out boats as fast as possible, cutting corners and being lax on quality control. 

6 hours ago, 06vride said:

I really want to stay in the Malibu family. Expanding my search to include the 23'. Just means I have to take off the swim platform ever time I garage it. 

The dealer I originally bought from,became a Supra/moomba dealer. They told me they dropped the Malibu line because of quality issues. They had too many problems with the newer boats. They said after I bought my boat, Malibu was bought and sold a couple times and became more interested in making money for investors than making good boats. 

I know a lot of that is salesmanship. But for those who have owned a couple different malibus, did you notice any drop off in quality? I don't know a lot about the boat industry, but I know you don't stay the #1 most sold boat if you are making lemons. But my dealer said, they are #1 because they crank out boats as fast as possible, cutting corners and being lax on quality control. 

Me thinks your dealer is FOS.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Me thinks your dealer is FOS.

Sounds right to me.  There are guys here who constantly flip new boats who can comment with authority, but I can tell you this - my 2017 22VLX has been awesome.  In 72.2 hours so far, the only thing of any significance is issues with the Wetsounds stereo, and even that has had no impact on the use of the boat.   I had a minor leak in the cooling system that required a hose clamp to to be tightened.    I had to sew a bimini boot strap buckle back on. I have a couple places where the gel was not polished out correctly.  I have one place in the walkthrough where the vinyl is loose.   Those last two things I have agreed with the dealer we well address this winter as they do not affect use, and I am not interested in consuming lake time to fix in season.

I track every single maintenance item, and warranty issue in a spreadsheet.  I dont know about anyone else, but those issues do not constitute "quality issues" to me.   In fact, my observation has been that these boats are incredibly well thought out.  

My wife and were talking about our decision to buy the new VLX on our way home Sunday...   whether we we both happy with the decision after 2/3 of the season has passed... and we both concluded that we were delighted with the decision. 

• Like 2