Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom skiing a 2017 23LSV

Sailvi767

Smooth water last week so decided to ski the LSV. My boat has the diamond hull so that may have helped. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it skied at 32MPH  with 15 off on rope length. Only 2 people in the boat with ¾ fuel and bow tank ¾ full. Biggest issue was there is a rooster tail at 15 off. Might be better to go full length and or leave the bow tank empty. You will never ski it in the course but better than I expected for recreational skiing.

Edited by Sailvi767

Do us a favor and get a pic or vid of the wake at 32mph, 28 off. Make this std requirement for V-Drives. I'd love a v-drive if I can find a ski-able wake. I'm boat shopping. Just sold mine.

43 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

POIDH

POIDNH????

18 minutes ago, JasonK said:

Do us a favor and get a pic or vid of the wake at 32mph, 28 off. Make this std requirement for V-Drives. I'd love a v-drive if I can find a ski-able wake. I'm boat shopping. Just sold mine.

I have a 2010 and we found the wake to be soft and flat.. Sorry no pic.. but this might get me motivated to bring the slalom ski out again... also barefoot behind it (before I changed props)

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

POIDH

Pics Or It Didn't Happen

LOL ok.. I read Pics Or Did Happen

was looking for the N:

Pics Or It Did Not Happen ;)

Thinkin' outside the box. The next big revolution in skiing. A V-drive that has a wake equal to that of the best Response. Nothings impossible.

Of course, the boat surf easily too,

Steve B.

A boat that could surf like the top level surf boats and ski like a direct drive would honestly make my dreams come true. My 20ft tige with a 94” beam and a versatile hull, still skis like crap compared to a DD. 

The new new easiest way for pictures is to create an Instagram account just for this page and copy in the link. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Thinkin' outside the box. The next big revolution in skiing. A V-drive that has a wake equal to that of the best Response. Nothings impossible.

Of course, the boat surf easily too,

Steve B.

I think to do something like that, hydrofoils would have to be developed.  I would absolutely love it.  I'd honestly rather ski than anything, and my kids like it as much as they do anything else.  My wife will surf occasionally, but really just likes to be on teh boat.  If I had a V-Drive big enough for my family and some kids' friends that would ski well, I'd be in heaven.  

59 minutes ago, 67King said:

I think to do something like that, hydrofoils would have to be developed.  I would absolutely love it.  I'd honestly rather ski than anything, and my kids like it as much as they do anything else.  My wife will surf occasionally, but really just likes to be on teh boat.  If I had a V-Drive big enough for my family and some kids' friends that would ski well, I'd be in heaven.  

I try to get out every Sunday morning on Loudon to ski. If you want a pull shoot me a message. It's not a Malibu but still a nice Direct Drive. :)

21 minutes ago, Tims said:

I try to get out every Sunday morning on Loudon to ski. If you want a pull shoot me a message. It's not a Malibu but still a nice Direct Drive. :)

Wow, thank you!  I may do that.  What part of Loudon?  We have a place on the lake in Friendsville, but live a mile from FoxRoad Marina

4 minutes ago, 67King said:

Wow, thank you!  I may do that.  What part of Loudon?  We have a place on the lake in Friendsville, but live a mile from FoxRoad Marina

Anytime. I am in Lenoir City. Usually ski in a little cove by the dam or if the wind is blowing just across the bridge on Tellico. Shoot me a PM. 

23 foot v drive with zero ballast and just the driver is fun to slalom.  Same boat with 10 people turns a soft, rampy wake into a brick wall.   

I like to jump the wake on slalom when wake is kinda big.  

17 hours ago, 67King said:

Or just canards, like sub's and some planes utilize. Maybe deployable when lift is needed. Settings could be saved per skier like a convergence system.

Steve B.

Still thinking about this, to get maximum lift of the boat in total, I think you'd need front and rear canards. All running independently. Gyro balanced like a drone. While we're at it, somehow connect the tracking fins to the steering wheel, so they turn slightly with rudder, to smooth out turning.

Steve B.

On 7/30/2017 at 3:20 PM, Steve B. said:

Still thinking about this, to get maximum lift of the boat in total, I think you'd need front and rear canards. All running independently. Gyro balanced like a drone. While we're at it, somehow connect the tracking fins to the steering wheel, so they turn slightly with rudder, to smooth out turning.

Steve B.

Canards serve a pretty different purpose......steering.  Problem with them is that they create lift by diverting the fluid.  So they will inherently create turbulence.....which is what we're trying to avoid.  A hydrofoil will keep the flow laminar, and create lift wiht bernouli's principle.  They will also tend to create more drag than a hydrofoil will for the same amount of lift.  Of course, the big problem with any hydrofoil nonsense is what it would do to the prop positioning.  It may require it to be lowered, which would increase the boat's draft.

Plus as was mentioned, that is effectively what the PW2 in lift mode does.  But frankly, it did not appear to do much to soften teh wake when I tried it, though it was from the boat, not being towed.  It also requires a sizable bump in RPM due to the drag it creates.  It does indeed work exceedingly well for what is designed for, but not really for using to ski.

I was thinking more like a plane's elevator. One in the front and the rear of the boat. Smaller in the front. Sure they'd add turbulence, but the volume and turbulence they'd be removing (boat hull) could outweigh. that. I guess it would have to be deployable making the constructability of that a real challenge.

Steve B.

You a

sp have to consider handling when you add hull lift devices. The boat would have to handle well enough at all speeds for the lowest common denominator driver or the lawyers will shut it down.

On 7/29/2017 at 7:14 AM, 67King said:

Granted it's older, but I have a 2006 Vride. It's no Pro Star, but I can tell you I have had many many skiing buds comment about how impressed they are with the quality of the slalom wake behind it.  I love it.  At 34/36 it's minimal.  Granted I turn a lot more RPMS when skiing than I used to because I had to updgrade the prop for surfing with more ballast.