Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 23' XTI

Whipple5oh

What's upguys and gals!  New here.  I have searched for anything XTI on here and am not getting any luck.  I'm trying to get a surf wave going with power and am having 0 luck.  I have tried: wedge down, 1000lbs in the rear locker 500 bow, and 800 in front of rear seat with a surf device on the opposite side.  Makes a decent wave but no power to push.  Currently riding a Ronix Koal Powertail 4'5" board.  It won't even push a 90 lb woman.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Whipple5oh
Dang auto correct

What speed and have you checked your speed at surfing level with a GPS? Those speedos back in that time frame were notorious for being off and off at different levels at different speeds. One to two MPH makes a lot of difference with surfing. Also take in mind that your's is a direct drive and not a V-drive. Not the same weight distribution across the two form factors.

Hard to say with speed.  Haven't really checked.  But running 2250 RPM with the 1215 prop.  I need to upgrade to the stargazer but dang it's expensive.  Maybe more ballast in the back?  

Yes I think you should go with weight in the back.  The 800 lbs engine is kind of like bow ballast.  Keep some bow ballast but the more you can displace the better.  What rear locker are you talking about with the 1000 lbs?  I also see you are using a surf assist device.  I don't have experience with those, but you'll definitely need more rear weight in that case. 

4 minutes ago, Molarbu said:

Yes I think you should go with weight in the back.  The 800 lbs engine is kind of like bow ballast.  Keep some bow ballast but the more you can displace the better.  What rear locker are you talking about with the 1000 lbs?  I also see you are using a surf assist device.  I don't have experience with those, but you'll definitely need more rear weight in that case. 

Its a DD so I have a rear ski locker and can fit the 1000lb sumo sac in it with room to spare.  Granted it for fits but have about a foot clearance on each end of bag.

7 minutes ago, Whipple5oh said:

Its a DD so I have a rear ski locker and can fit the 1000lb sumo sac in it with room to spare.  Granted it for fits but have about a foot clearance on each end of bag.

But the ski locker is in front of the engine isn't it?  My boat must be different.  I have a ski locker in the floor.  At the rear of the boat I just have a small hatch that has the shower and a storage bin in it.  

Edited by Molarbu
3 minutes ago, Molarbu said:

But the ski locker is in front of the engine isn't it?  My boat must be different.  I have a ski locker in the floor.  At the rear of the boat I just have a small hatch that has the shower and a storage bin in it.  

It has the ski locker in front of the engine that I can put a 400lb bag in and the transom locker behind the transom seats.

• 1 year later...

Here is how I got a good surf wake from my 23XTI:

I sold it and bought a 2014 247 LSV.

Seriously....I am 220lbs and surf goofy....there was nothing I could do that would not necessitate a 15min regular to goofy change and nearly sinking the boat.