Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

perfect pass

response LX

We just bought our 2000 Malibu response LX a couple of months ago & love it. My wife & I are avid slalom skiiers & we are just learning to wakeboard, we have 2 young boys who will be skiing & wakeboarding very soon. Heres the problem, It's very hard to keep the boat at a constant speed (especially at lower wakeboard speeds) My old outboard boat kept a more constant speed!

I believe we need perfect pass? Is there different versions? Is it an easy install?

oh ya, I only have 1 empty hole in my dash (smaller one, bottam right hand corner)

From what I'm told, the hardest part of the install is building up the nerve to drill through the bottom of your hull to install the paddle wheel.

I have heard the installation is quite simple. You will need to take out one of the Airguide Speedo's to install the display ( I believe) which means that you also do not have a paddlewheel which you will need to install. I have never done this myself, so someone else may be able to help you there.

Also I had problems keeping speed, (my wife still does) but it got much better after installing an ACME 525 Prop. You may want to consider changing that as well.

I would highly recommend Perfect Pass. I added mine to my boat about 3 months ago and just love it. My recommendation would be to go with wakeboard pro, its very easy to use and its a little cheaper than the digital pro model. From my research, unless you ski the course and use magnets for timing, you don't need the upgraded version. There is also perfect pass cruise control, which is cheaper but I think you would be much happier with full models.

As for the installation, its not a simple install. You need to add a paddlewheel to the bottom of your boat (I don't think yours has one) add the servo to the throttle controls and put in the gauge. It is doable and I know they provide very detailed install instructions but I found a dealer who would install mine for about $100. As for the gauge, they come in 5" or 3.5" versions. If you have two speedometers, you can replace one of your speedometers with it since it has a digital speedometer and tachometer.

I have heard the installation is quite simple. You will need to take out one of the Airguide Speedo's to install the display ( I believe) which means that you also do not have a paddlewheel which you will need to install. I have never done this myself, so someone else may be able to help you there.

Also I had problems keeping speed, (my wife still does) but it got much better after installing an ACME 525 Prop. You may want to consider changing that as well.

it is a rather simple install. I did mine om my boat, same as yours. You won't replace a speedo though (this year has only one Kysor speedo). Instead you replace the tach with the PP gauge. I have the analog tach/PP gauge, which i really like, but you can get the newer multiline PP gauge.

I would highly recommend Perfect Pass. I added mine to my boat about 3 months ago and just love it. My recommendation would be to go with wakeboard pro, its very easy to use and its a little cheaper than the digital pro model. From my research, unless you ski the course and use magnets for timing, you don't need the upgraded version. There is also perfect pass cruise control, which is cheaper but I think you would be much happier with full models.

As for the installation, its not a simple install. You need to add a paddlewheel to the bottom of your boat (I don't think yours has one) add the servo to the throttle controls and put in the gauge. It is doable and I know they provide very detailed install instructions but I found a dealer who would install mine for about $100. As for the gauge, they come in 5" or 3.5" versions. If you have two speedometers, you can replace one of your speedometers with it since it has a digital speedometer and tachometer.

if you can find a dealer to do it for $100, then DEFINETLY have them do it. that is a great price. Locally dealer here charges way more than that.

Before becoming a dealer, I had installed AccuSki on my boat with a friend. The hardest part of the install is getting up the courage to drill a large hole in the boat below the waterline and not think about it for the first several trips to the water.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the tach/PP gauge is available anymore. You might be able to find one on eBay, but I know they aren't cheap.

Before becoming a dealer, I had installed AccuSki on my boat with a friend. The hardest part of the install is getting up the courage to drill a large hole in the boat below the waterline and not think about it for the first several trips to the water.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the tach/PP gauge is available anymore. You might be able to find one on eBay, but I know they aren't cheap.

I'm going to gather up the parts & try the install this Fall.