Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maintenance after little to no use for a year?

I wanted to get some opinions regarding a situation I have. Bought a used 03 Sunsetter XTI w/ the Monsoon that was only in the water once last year and not at all this year. As a result the previous owner didn't do any regular maintenance (oil change, etc.) this year or last. There has been less than 10 hours put on the boat since the last regular maintenance.

I'm planning on checking and changing the impeller before we go out, but wanted to see what everyone out there thought regarding any other regular maintenance items.

Change the oil...even with only 10 hours on it, you likely have a bit of condensation/water built up over the last two years. Checking the impeller is a good idea, but my guess it will be fine. Fuel filter would be next on my list.

You said 10 hours the last couple years. How many hours total, and do you have any idea if regular maintenance was performed up to the time they stopped using the boat often? If it was, then your spark plugs and cap and rotor should be in good shape. If not, it may be time to change those out, depending on their condition.

I'd be very concerned about 2 year old gas, though. I'd be inclined to drain whatever came in it, and start with fresh stabilized fuel (others, one in particular :) , on the site may disagree...but my opinion is no good can come from 2+ year old gas).

The Monsoon is a very solid and reliably built engine. I assume you ran the engine prior to purchase. If it ran well then, you'll be in good shape.

Other than the oil, cap, rotor, fuel filter and spark plugs, there's not alot of maintenance required on the Monsoon, so if you're not sure if they have been maintained, change them all out and you should have an engine that runs like new, if you're so inclined.

Welcome to the site, and enjoy your new boat!

Change the oil...even with only 10 hours on it, you likely have a bit of condensation/water built up over the last two years. Checking the impeller is a good idea, but my guess it will be fine. Fuel filter would be next on my list.

You said 10 hours the last couple years. How many hours total, and do you have any idea if regular maintenance was performed up to the time they stopped using the boat often? If it was, then your spark plugs and cap and rotor should be in good shape. If not, it may be time to change those out, depending on their condition.

I'd be very concerned about 2 year old gas, though. I'd be inclined to drain whatever came in it, and start with fresh stabilized fuel (others, one in particular :) , on the site may disagree...but my opinion is no good can come from 2+ year old gas).

The Monsoon is a very solid and reliably built engine. I assume you ran the engine prior to purchase. If it ran well then, you'll be in good shape.

Other than the oil, cap, rotor, fuel filter and spark plugs, there's not alot of maintenance required on the Monsoon, so if you're not sure if they have been maintained, change them all out and you should have an engine that runs like new, if you're so inclined.

Welcome to the site, and enjoy your new boat!

rts just about covered it. Change the oil and filter, fuel filter, impeller and get as much old gas out as you can and you should be fine. I would also perform the 10 hour service if it was never done.

I third with RTS ideas. The other thing to check is the trans and gearbox oil. May not need to change (depending on hrs) but should look. When you do get it in the water and start running her, keep an eye on the shaft seal leak rate. It may have dryed a little to much over the past 2 yrs. Check belt for cracking and tension.

As a side not, when you first start it up let it idea for some time (up to operating temp 160 ish) with it on the trailer just to make sure all is good.

Thanks for the list o stuff to check out. It's good to get other views on the situation.

The boat only has 42 hours on it and I know it was maintained that first year by the dealership. It was even kept at the dealership.

Use the boat. It's the best thing for it. The more you use it, the better it runs. 40 years of boating has taught me that. 42 hrs on an '03 is like a new boat, great find and good luck.

I third with RTS ideas. The other thing to check is the trans and gearbox oil. May not need to change (depending on hrs) but should look. When you do get it in the water and start running her, keep an eye on the shaft seal leak rate. It may have dryed a little to much over the past 2 yrs. Check belt for cracking and tension.

As a side not, when you first start it up let it idea for some time (up to operating temp 160 ish) with it on the trailer just to make sure all is good.

The only other thing that I'd suggest is that if the seal is leaking quite a bit more than it should at first, don't adjust it right away. It may come back with a little use, so give it some time & use before making an adjustment.