Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Different Hulls?

Lgndracer

I have been doing a lot of looking at wakeboard boats the last couple of years, and am ready to take the plunge. I have pretty much made up my mind on a Wakesetter VLX or LSV. I just found and started reading this site, and see talk about different hulls. If I am looking at 2003 - 2005's how many different hulls are their in the wakesetters, and which ones are worth spending the extra money on?

Thanks,

Mike

First off, welcome to the site!!! :)

The wakesetter LSV (23ft) was on the diamond (ski hull) up until 2004 then it changed to the wake hull which is much better for wakeboarding.

The wakesetter VLX (21ft) has always been on the wake hull, but in 2005 it changed hulls and size. It got streched 1/2ft longer and a few inches wider...and rumor has it the wake got a lot bigger Biggrin.gif

Here is all the info you will ever need to know about the hulls Hull Chart

in '04 the 23LSV also went 3" wider and 6" longer... It is probably also more expensive than the 02/03 model.

I personally like the slightly smaller size of the 02/03, with maybe a small compromise in wakeboard wake. It still puts out a great wake

I have been doing a lot of looking at wakeboard boats the last couple of years, and am ready to take the plunge. I have pretty much made up my mind on a Wakesetter VLX or LSV. I just found and started reading this site, and see talk about different hulls. If I am looking at 2003 - 2005's how many different hulls are their in the wakesetters, and which ones are worth spending the extra money on?

Thanks,

Mike

To answer that question, you should tell us how you will use the boat. How many people will you take with you? Do you primarily wakeboard or do you ski as well? How about surfing? Will the boat be used on a "big" lake? The Wakesetters & Sunscapes of that era came in lengths from 21' up to 25', so having an idea of how the boat will be used is essential before any kind of recommendation can be made.

in '04 the 23LSV also went 3" wider and 6" longer... It is probably also more expensive than the 02/03 model.

I personally like the slightly smaller size of the 02/03, with maybe a small compromise in wakeboard wake. It still puts out a great wake

One other thing, they differentiated the Wakesetter as being on the Wake hull while the Sunscape was on the Diamond hull. Prior to '04, the 23' was only built on the Diamond hull.

Up through 2004, the VLX was on the SV23 hull. I wouldn't really call that a "pure wakeboard" hull. I'm pretty sure it was designed as a ski hull, and it just worked out that it worked pretty well for a wakeboard hull.

The SV23-diamond is not as good of a wakeboard hull becuase it adds the chines, that push the boat up out of the water to make a better ski wake.

The 05 and beyond is designed from the ground up as a wake hull.

To answer that question, you should tell us how you will use the boat. How many people will you take with you? Do you primarily wakeboard or do you ski as well? How about surfing? Will the boat be used on a "big" lake?

Currently we have an 1991 Malibu Skier, but no one skis. All wakeboarding. My in-laws live on a medium size lake, so most of the time we are there. Currently because there is no real space in the boat, we usually go off the dock and back again with just a couple of people in the boat at a time and no other gear. We leave all the "stuff" on the dock. Right now we do a lot of wakeboarding and wakeskateing, and I just recently got a Hyperlite Roam.

With all that said, a good friend of mine has a Tige 22V Riders Edition that we also use a lot. Now if we use his boat, we can load everything into it and 5 or 6 people no problem. And that would usually include a wakeboard for each person, a wakeskate or two, the Roam, and a surfboard. Then we go out on the lake for hours at a time without going back to the dock.

Other than that, we go to Eastern Washington a lot to the gorge, Potholes reservoir, and Banks Lake. Then we have two or three boats, a fair amount of people, food and drinks for the day, lots of inflatables and so on.

Originally I wanted something in the 20' range (leaning toward the VLX), but the more time I spend in the Tige, I am thinking an LSV might be a better choice. My concern on that is am I trading space to drive a "pig" as a buddy of mine puts it. Either way I know that either will not handle like the Skier, but the Skier does not really fit what we do. Like I said in my first post I have been looking for the last year or two and am going to buy something during this off season. My original budget was in the mid 30's, but after looking around I think I will need to be in the mid to upper 40's to get something really nice.

Opinions?

The LSV sure ain't no malibu skier - but I wouldn't really call it a pig either...

It is all a personal choice - you need some of you local 'crew members to step up and take you out for a spin

I have always wondered what the difference was between the flighty sportster and the malibu sportster. They changed the design of the windshield and other things for 1994 on the sportster, but did the hull change? I thought malibu bought flightcraft which was an aussie boat if I'm not mistaken? did they keep this hull and use it for years to come?

and then the tantrum came about in 96 and then the branded malibu sportster in 97-98 (I have seen 97s for sale don't know if they were an early release ro not, but they are not listed as available in 97).

the basic dimmensions are the same on the flighty as the later model malibu sportster, yet by looking at them they are very different specifically the flat transom and removable platform on the malibu and the built in platform on the flighty.

are there really any differences between the flighty sportster, the tantrum and the malibu sporster other than asthetitics and options? what about skiing behind one? I have always thought the flightcraft sportster as being one of the hottest looking boats ever made!

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, continue :)

Edited by H20ski Dude

There was 2004 VLX for sale for $39,000 on this site - but the owner may have changed his mind. Now thats the boat you should buy!!!!! :)

The LSV sure ain't no malibu skier - but I wouldn't really call it a pig either...

It is all a personal choice - you need some of you local 'crew members to step up and take you out for a spin

I drove a 07' LSV and I'll tell ya it handles very well, but as Troy mentioned it's not the same as a DD but they've come along way.

To answer that question, you should tell us how you will use the boat. How many people will you take with you? Do you primarily wakeboard or do you ski as well? How about surfing? Will the boat be used on a "big" lake?

Currently we have an 1991 Malibu Skier, but no one skis. All wakeboarding. My in-laws live on a medium size lake, so most of the time we are there. Currently because there is no real space in the boat, we usually go off the dock and back again with just a couple of people in the boat at a time and no other gear. We leave all the "stuff" on the dock. Right now we do a lot of wakeboarding and wakeskateing, and I just recently got a Hyperlite Roam.

With all that said, a good friend of mine has a Tige 22V Riders Edition that we also use a lot. Now if we use his boat, we can load everything into it and 5 or 6 people no problem. And that would usually include a wakeboard for each person, a wakeskate or two, the Roam, and a surfboard. Then we go out on the lake for hours at a time without going back to the dock.

Other than that, we go to Eastern Washington a lot to the gorge, Potholes reservoir, and Banks Lake. Then we have two or three boats, a fair amount of people, food and drinks for the day, lots of inflatables and so on.

Originally I wanted something in the 20' range (leaning toward the VLX), but the more time I spend in the Tige, I am thinking an LSV might be a better choice. My concern on that is am I trading space to drive a "pig" as a buddy of mine puts it. Either way I know that either will not handle like the Skier, but the Skier does not really fit what we do. Like I said in my first post I have been looking for the last year or two and am going to buy something during this off season. My original budget was in the mid 30's, but after looking around I think I will need to be in the mid to upper 40's to get something really nice.

Opinions?

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. I think that the VLX would work the best for you based on what you said. It easily accomodates 5-6 people & their gear, & puts out a world class wake. Because it's a little smaller than the LSV, it will be easier to sink for both boarding & surfing (requiring less ballast to get a great wave). If you do go with a VLX, stay away from the '01 because in that year they put that boat on the Diamond hull. A great boat to be sure, but not perfectly suited to how you want to use the boat. Another thing that I'd look for is an '04 or newer, since they started putting Gorilla Fin on the vdrives in '04 & it makes a huge difference in how the boat handles. As for you budget, if you can wait a few weeks until after Labor Day, you'll really start to see prices drop as well as availability come way up.

I don't agee with the "pig" comment. One thing that the Malibus have over the competition is handling & the 23' is an amazing boat for its size.

Thanks for all the help. I would really like to find a nice '05 if possible. My personal opinion is the graphics look the best in 2005. I am in no real hurry as the season is almost over. I know there will be a bunch for sale after the Seattle Boat Show the first of the year. I am just going to keep looking for a really nice boat at a good price.

Mike

Are you talking about the gelcoat pattern or the decals? Decals can easily be changed out and aren't really that expensive. Gelcoat, however, is what it is...

I have always wondered what the difference was between the flighty sportster and the malibu sportster. They changed the design of the windshield and other things for 1994 on the sportster, but did the hull change? I thought malibu bought flightcraft which was an aussie boat if I'm not mistaken? did they keep this hull and use it for years to come?

and then the tantrum came about in 96 and then the branded malibu sportster in 97-98 (I have seen 97s for sale don't know if they were an early release ro not, but they are not listed as available in 97).

the basic dimmensions are the same on the flighty as the later model malibu sportster, yet by looking at them they are very different specifically the flat transom and removable platform on the malibu and the built in platform on the flighty.

are there really any differences between the flighty sportster, the tantrum and the malibu sporster other than asthetitics and options? what about skiing behind one? I have always thought the flightcraft sportster as being one of the hottest looking boats ever made!

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, continue :)

Actually, the Tantrum was around from '95 to '97. The Malibu Sportster didn't come out until '98.

Thanks for all the help. I would really like to find a nice '05 if possible. My personal opinion is the graphics look the best in 2005. I am in no real hurry as the season is almost over. I know there will be a bunch for sale after the Seattle Boat Show the first of the year. I am just going to keep looking for a really nice boat at a good price.

Mike

Since you're into wakeboarding you might want to get an 06' w/ the power wedge. No retrofitting is possible btw.