Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LS3 Oil Change

So far, I have had the dealer do all the maintenance on the boat, but with me averaging 130ish hours/year, the cost for the oil changes are adding up, so I want to try it myself.

My old sterndrive had the oil hose that I could just pull through the drain plug, and drain over night.  I have looked (not a lot, but a little) for one on my LS3, but I can't find one.  Do all the LS3's, have that option?  If not, I guess I will pump it out.

In regards to pumping, I have heard some horror stories about losing the hose down the dipstick tube.  Is that really a danger?  If so, is there an adaptor I can buy so that I do not need to put the hose all the way down to the pan?

TIA

And, a photo of my dorky nephew since everyone likes posts with photos.

h0lGiCi.jpg

Edited by RyanB
  • Like 3

Ryan,

Oil changes on that motor are super friggin easy.  

Yes there is an oil drain hose.  I can't remember for the life of me where it's clipped but there is one. 

It reaches out the tranny T-handle drain plug area perfectly.  On my '14, unfortunately, that hole was real close to the rear axle cross member on the trailer, so I would always get a few drips on the trailer, but oh well.

Anyhow, it's real easy to pull the hose through the hole and let it go overnight.  Drains better if warm, but you know that.  Either way overnight is plenty of time.

MP requires mobil1.  I think 15/50 if memory serves, which was kinda rare, but I eventually found that one of my 4 local walmarts carried it for like 26 for a 5Q jug.  It takes 10Q, so you need two.  Oil filter is Mobil 1 M1-301, FRAM PH8A, Purolator L30001, AC Delco PF2, or Motorcraft FL-1A (or compatible).

On 7/19/2017 at 3:01 PM, RyanB said:

Thanks @shawndoggy!  I was looking at the back of the engine for the hose. I'll look again tonight. 

Did you ever find the hose?  I need to be doing the same with mine as it's not convenient to take to the dealer for mid-season oil changes

14 hours ago, DAI said:

Did you ever find the hose?  I need to be doing the same with mine as it's not convenient to take to the dealer for mid-season oil changes

No.  I spent about an hour looking for it.  In my 90* garage.  After spending a day on the water.

In my sterndrive, it was tethered to my drain plug.  Great idea.  This engine compartment is so tight, I don't know how you can find it.  I literally just ordered an oil pump.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW393E2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I think it is on the starboard side?  It's clipped somewhere. The drain is at the back of the engine (towards the front of the boat). 

I'll look again, but this is like torture. It is just so tight in there, no clearance and all sorts of other hoses and wire looms, that I am not sure how to find it.  I will say I looked more on the port side last night since the drain hole in the Vdrive area is more on that side.

Agreed it's very tight. If memory serves, it should have a brass cap fitting on the end. 

But I am just going from my very fallible human memory. Maybe @CharlieBeaU or @bamaboy can give a little more guidance. 

Haha I remember Phil telling me it was easy and me wishing I was smaller. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

Agreed it's very tight. If memory serves, it should have a brass cap fitting on the end. 

But I am just going from my very fallible human memory. Maybe @CharlieBeaU or @bamaboy can give a little more guidance. 

Haha I remember Phil telling me it was easy and me wishing I was smaller. 

The one on my Crownline had a brass cap fitting, so that would make sense.  And I know it is in there somewhere because I have the MP owners manual that states the engine has it.  But doesn't tell you where it is.....

Found mine (dealer made their life easier).  Picture is taken from the starboard locker with the panel remove.  The end of the oil drain line is clipped running on the back (transmission side) of the engine.  As you can see it runs down into that area below the other hoses. 

qF0gly-1ljNDN1OMXWRACsSj-yFZbcLow5MO23QJ

27 minutes ago, DAI said:

Found mine (dealer made their life easier).  Picture is taken from the starboard locker with the panel remove.  The end of the oil drain line is clipped running on the back (transmission side) of the engine.  As you can see it runs down into that area below the other hoses. 

qF0gly-1ljNDN1OMXWRACsSj-yFZbcLow5MO23QJ

I found removing the panel helped a ton. In fact I don't think I could have done it without removing the panel. The drain hose is on the Starboard side on mine. I will say that even with warming the boat up using the built in fake-a-lake @shawndoggy installed the oil still drained really, really, really slowly. I followed Shawn's advice and let it drain over night but I still didn't get all the old oil out. I ended up sucking the rest out through the dipstick tube. I know there is thread on TMC about how to retrofit the "sucker tube" to eliminate the risk of breaking off the tip in the oil pan. I plan on doing that and sucking the oil out through the dipstick tube next time. The drain hose was a PITA in my opinion.

@DAI, thanks for the photo.  My oil is now draining.

@shawndoggy, can you point me in the direction of the "built in fake-a-lake"?  Due to ANS/AIS regulations, I have to decontaminate my boat several times per year, which involves using a fake a lake.  Something on board would be great.

30 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

@RyanB flushpro (with all of its baggage ... I think the last thread where I mentioned it was a bigger debate than Cummins vs duramax). 

Thanks, but I am confused on the controversy.  EVERYONE knows, Cummins.  Duh. ;)

• Like 1

Oil change is done.  Wasn't terrible to do, but wasn't as easy as it could have been.  I had a hard time getting to the filter, and the dealer at the last oil change must have over tightened as it was a bear to get off - there isn't any access.

Anyway, I am good until the end of the season.

And, for the record, the LS3 holds 8 quarts of oil, not 10.

WPCb1oC.png

• Like 2

I changed my oil this weekend and stole an idea I saw here on TMC that worked really well (I remembered reading it but couldn't find it again to give the original poster credit). I bought a coil boot (spark plug boot) at Autozone. It was $11. I ran the largest MityVac tube into the small side and zip tied the larger end to the engine drain hose that I ran out the bottom of the boat. I warmed up the engine for about 10-15 mins and then was able to suck all the oil out in about 10 mins which included having to stop and dump the MityVac once. Here are a couple pics.

y4mHOGQ3DaeJx1IBv-TBRXZDfM6ZGG74pbp2x_E9

y4mZnjfiJzvtOVHO_8fqe_8ieFDgxGTUiPiWegBX

y4mBjfevYsLHHYgf5bU9lwRcGlkTDViMtQ7ET1wT

When I was done I just used snips to cut the zip tie and the boot slid right off the drain hose.

Also, mine definitely takes 10qts. I put in 8qts and checked the dip stick. It was as dry as a popcorn fart. My manual also says 10qts. Weird that 2 2014 23 LSVs with the MP LS3 motor have different oil capacities. 

Taking the starboard side engine panel out is the only way to do it. I squat down in the locker and have easy access to the drain hose and oil filter. In taking the filter out I used a trick I do on my 2016 Ram Cummins where I slide a plastic grocery bag over the filter before I take it off. I loosen the filter a little, slide the bag over the bottom and then finish taking the filter off. The bag catches all the oil that drips out of the filter. 

• 3 years later...

Not sure if you guys are still active on this...

I have a 15 LSV with the LS3 and have found this oil change really problematic. I have a EWK pump I used with an air compressor and was able to get 4.5 liters of oil out. Then it started to run really slow. 

I cranked the PSI and got longer hoses to go in through the hose that was clipped on top of the engine and it was still super slow. I have tried going into the dip stick hole and absolutely nothing comes out. I tried to make it as air tight as possible. 

I am thinking of pulling the hose through the bottom of the boat to drain it as you have mentioned before, however, where is the T handle drain plug? I assume it is somewhere under the PNP bags? The oil hose is not very long...

Thanks!

Tyler 

2 hours ago, tylersajan said:

Not sure if you guys are still active on this...

I have a 15 LSV with the LS3 and have found this oil change really problematic. I have a EWK pump I used with an air compressor and was able to get 4.5 liters of oil out. Then it started to run really slow. 

I cranked the PSI and got longer hoses to go in through the hose that was clipped on top of the engine and it was still super slow. I have tried going into the dip stick hole and absolutely nothing comes out. I tried to make it as air tight as possible. 

I am thinking of pulling the hose through the bottom of the boat to drain it as you have mentioned before, however, where is the T handle drain plug? I assume it is somewhere under the PNP bags? The oil hose is not very long...

Thanks!

Tyler 

I still have the same boat, and follow the same procedure.  Fish the drain hose down through the hose with the brass t handle near the V- Drive (under the center rear cushion).  Drain it into a 5 gallon bucket overnight.

I think I see it. That guy is on really tight. It is just right of dipstick for Transmission Fluid. 

I will try to get it off and feed hose. Thanks for your help! Will keep in touch. 

Went back and I got the T handle off. 

I fished the hose as low as possible. It is now past the boat about 4 inches through the bottom of the hull. I have a bucket under it and nothing came out. 

Furthermore I used my pump to pull liquid down and still nothing comes out. I only pumped 4.5 liters out the other day,  there should be another 5 liters left. 

Am I missing something? 

Thanks,

Tyler 

19 minutes ago, tylersajan said:

Went back and I got the T handle off. 

I fished the hose as low as possible. It is now past the boat about 4 inches through the bottom of the hull. I have a bucket under it and nothing came out. 

Furthermore I used my pump to pull liquid down and still nothing comes out. I only pumped 4.5 liters out the other day,  there should be another 5 liters left. 

Am I missing something? 

Thanks,

Tyler 

You have an indmar LS3, not Marine Power.  Are you sure it has a 10Q pan?

I assumed it had the 10q pan as you guys had shared before. 

It says LS3 monsoon.  Sorry this is my first boat trying to learn it all.  

Thanks,

Tyler 

51 minutes ago, tylersajan said:

I assumed it had the 10q pan as you guys had shared before. 

It says LS3 monsoon.  Sorry this is my first boat trying to learn it all.  

Thanks,

Tyler 

How many quarts does your manual say?

EDIT: see page B-2, which says 6Q including filter: https://indmar.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2015-Indmar-GM-Based-Operators-Manual.pdf

Edited by shawndoggy

My apologies. Didn't know that there were different branded LS3's. I have probably 5 liters out in total. There is one liter left. 

You think it is okay to add oil and change the filter, or should I try to get the last liter out? 

Thanks again for your help!

Tyler