Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3 towing connections (purpose of each?)

barrelroll

Hello all,

We purchased a new-to-us 2016 Malibu 22 VLX. It has 3 tow connection points on the boat...1 on the tower, 1 on the sun deck, and then 1 down low just above the swim platform. Can anyone explain what each tow connection point is for?  The previous owner said the tower was limited to surfing/wakeboarding only (yes this is quite obvious) ,the tow pylon on the sun deck was for skiing only, and the low tow connection (just above swim platform) was for pulling tubes only.

The reason I ask is that the owners manual did not address this as far as I could tell and I'm certain I've seen other boats pulling tubers from the tower tow point. Additionally, when towing tubes for the low-mounted connection the rope gets dragged in the wake when making turns. 

What are are your thoughts?  Can anyone provide any guidance from an owner's manual or dealer recommendation?

I have heard if the tube hits hard into a wave, the jarring action can have adverse affects on the pylon. I never tube from pylon, only from transom eyes with a traveler. I was thinking that maybe the grab handle tow point might work better for keeping the rope out of the water, but I too scared to try it. 

• Like 3

While my kids have aged out of it and grand kids are just on the horizon, I have (too much) experience with both pulling and being on tubes.  The point is to get whip action - and you get that best from an aft (transom) rope attachment, not from a center point like a tower.  Most people use the stock tube rope length which is way too long.  60 to 70 feet is ideal with most boats.  Longer and it'll get caught in the wake.  I/Os are really much better tubing boats than inboards because you can alter the wake with the trim.

Tubing can be fun but be nice and don't do it before 10AM.  Leave a little glass for the skiers :)

And while I'm not with @Ndawg12 on the tube rope point I am on the Wave Runners.  Have 2 and jump wakes all the time.  Reciprocity with others on the lake with surf boats and PWCs that jump our wake.  Totally safe if done appropriately.

I used to always pull the tube from the rear tow point.  Until I had 3 adults that I had submarine the tube into another wave.  It stretched the rear tow point and cracked the gel coat all around the 4 anchor points.  I will only tow from the rear transom eyes now if it is adults.  I am not actually sure I have towed a tube since that incident.

I take my nieces/nephews tubing when I visit them and I always use my tower. We've had 3 tubes with 8-10 kids on them whipping around and no gel cracks or problems. 

I like the tower because

1-it keeps the rope from getting caught in the wake

2-with multiple tubes the ropes get tangled from the transom

3-the tubes are closer to the boat so line is shorter and I think I can get more whip

• Like 3

My kids and their friends love tubing. We always pull from the tower. We have an axis. The manual says the tower is a suitable tow point for tubes. No problems with cracks/ spidering in gel. 

This seems like a good spot to pose something I've been wondering since last week. 

I had a friend out with me that weighs in around 350lbs and he wanted to try wakeboarding. I had the rope hooked up to the tower since I had just finished, but as I started pulling slack out of the rope the thought of trying to pull him up from the tower panicked me a bit, so I swapped over to the center pylon and rolled with that.

My question is, would I have been ok pulling someone that size from the tower, or is it best to go with another connection point?

3 hours ago, MikeDe said:

This seems like a good spot to pose something I've been wondering since last week. 

I had a friend out with me that weighs in around 350lbs and he wanted to try wakeboarding. I had the rope hooked up to the tower since I had just finished, but as I started pulling slack out of the rope the thought of trying to pull him up from the tower panicked me a bit, so I swapped over to the center pylon and rolled with that.

My question is, would I have been ok pulling someone that size from the tower, or is it best to go with another connection point?

I'm not quite 350 but 300ish and I pull pretty hard while wakeboarding. No ill effects from tower. I think @Fman pulled a dozen or so wakeboards at once, some from tower some from pylon. 

When we did a 10 person wakeboard pull we ran 4 off the tower and the other 6 off  the ski pylon.  I always pull a tube from the ski pylon just because I feel like it's a more solid anchor than the tower.

• Like 3
On 7/15/2017 at 1:25 PM, isellacuras said:

I'm not quite 350 but 300ish and I pull pretty hard while wakeboarding. No ill effects from tower. I think @Fman pulled a dozen or so wakeboards at once, some from tower some from pylon. 

On 7/15/2017 at 3:02 PM, Fman said:

When we did a 10 person wakeboard pull we ran 4 off the tower and the other 6 off  the ski pylon.  I always pull a tube from the ski pylon just because I feel like it's a more solid anchor than the tower.

Thanks guys. I still get a bit nervous with the old Illusion X tower, but I'll be less apprehensive going forward.

please tell me there are pictures of the 10 person wakeboard pull around here!?

Edited by MikeDe
On 7/15/2017 at 1:08 AM, Cole2001 said:

I've heard of people getting gel coat cracks on the tower base. 

I own a Malibu, gel coat cracks are normal.  I have plenty in places that don't see any stress.

I'll bite. I used to tow our kids from the tower when they were on the tube.  Thought it was a non issue because my kids don't really like getting whipped or bounced like crazy plus they are so light if figured way less stress than me monkeying around on a board.   Had my 7 year old and buddy of his on the tube one day and it submarines on me.  I heard the loudest most awful pop that sounded like a gun going off.  Rope ended up breaking  and tower made some pretty awful noise.  Inspectedthe tower as well as all the fiberglass and swore I would never tow the tube from the tower again no matter how small the rider is.   I do however use the pylon instead of the eyes on the back of the boat.   I do not however pull adults on tubes unless they are riding with a small child.  

• 2 years later...

We've always pulled tubes from the tower.  We did it for 14 years on our '05 LSV with no tower or gelcoat issues and are doing the same with our 2019 23 LSV.  It is much easier to whip the tube around and the rope doesn't drag in the water splashing the kids in the eyes.  I make sure that I never get slack in the rope to jerk on the tower, but it is plenty stable to tow a tube.  And we typically use a 3 person tube.

I also pull from the tower, kids though. But I am always concerned something is going to break and I swear I have found some new gel coat cracks that were not there before......

I always thought you could not pull towables from the tower.  Recently went back to the 2016 manual which says it is OK for towables but Not Tubes. What is the difference? This warning label seems to contradict the other statement in the manual.  Recreational towable OK but not for parasailing, kite flying, pyramids, group pulls, towing other boats, or TUBES. 

There are weight restrictions for the tower and the rear grab handle.   Another note about the pylon says NOT to use the pylon except for wakeboarding and skiing.  No mention of towables.  

Below is pulled this from the 2016 Malibu 23LSV Manual:  Applies to all Wakesetter models.

The wakeboard tower is intended for towing only as noted. It is designed to pull a limited number of individual(s), and in some cases only one (1) individual. Please consult the remainder of this manual and warning labels on tower for details. The wakeboard tower approved for use on your boat should be used only for water skis, wakeboards or recreational towables, and not for parasailing, kite flying or towing other boats. 

Shown is a Malibu Wakesetter model. All Wakesetters will have warning labels in the same locations, regardless of model and bow style. 

1 person or 500 lbs weight on the tower. 

image.thumb.png.ae72e25c96f6606b68f9aaa57eb97e1d.png

Edited by ORMailbuboater

Meh.  That's lawyer speak IMO.  As I mentioned, we've always run tubes off the tower (including for adults) and never had an issue.  Get a 200+ lb wakeboarder back there in a raley cut and I swear that will put more stress on your tower than a low friction tube with kids on it.  I've had big guys load up the line so hard that the tower would creak and always scared me more than the tube!

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

I know this controversial subject but I'm a tower tuber kind of guy.  Pulled tubes from the tower for years across multiple boat makes/models/towers without a single issue with the tower or gel coat.  In the end you need to do what you think is best as only you are responsible for what may or may not happen.

For what it worth this is what the official Malibu Manual for my 2013 VTX says about the G3 tower:

The tower is rated for a maximum of 130 lbs (58.9 kg) accessory weight and not more than 600 lbs (272.1 kg) total rider weight. Exceeding these limits voids any structural warranty pertaining to the tower. Approved activities for usage of the tower include wakeboarding, wake skating, skiing or tubing.

Actually 600lbs capacity is much higher than any tower rating on any of my previous boats in the past - it is also the only boat I've ever had that listed tubing as an acceptable use.

Seems Malibu decided against this recommendation at some point for later model years, could lead someone to think that maybe something happened... my guess is the only thing that happened was corporate lawyers. :)