Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ImPerfect Pass

Hello all. I'm new to the site and to owning a Malibu. We bought a 2002 Wakesetter LSV at the end of last season, and LOVE it!

I've already learned tons from reading so many posts, I figured I'd have to ask about the latest problem that has me stumped.

We were running the boat last week, and noticed a distinct odor of unburned gas through the exhaust. I checked and found a plug wire had come off, there was some small piece of debris in there, which when removed and reconnected fixed the gasoline odor, and the noticable performance lag. Now however when perfect pass is even turned on, the throttle is all over the place, seems random, but I definitely can't run full throttle at all with it on, and it definitely won't maintain a constant speed. Turn it off and it all returns to normal, no handeling or response problems at all. Its the standard Wakeboard Cruise version of Perfect Pass.

Does Perfect Pass need time to relearn the engine now its back to full strength? Could there be a more serious issue? Frustrated.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And thanks for all the tips I've already gotten from so many other posts.

Can you provide more details as to what it was doing..

What speed were you traveling, was PP set to maintain a speed or RPM?

Turning or going straight?

There shouldn't be any "learn" from PP, it is pretty simple - just reads the current speed, and adds or retracts throttle based on gap from target speed.

Jeff's right, there are difficulties with that hull - but those simptoms are pretty distinct, and more prevelent at slower speeds, with ballast, and going over wakes, or turning..

Some of it can be tuned out with different sampling and response settings

Can you provide more details as to what it was doing..

What speed were you traveling, was PP set to maintain a speed or RPM?

Turning or going straight?

There shouldn't be any "learn" from PP, it is pretty simple - just reads the current speed, and adds or retracts throttle based on gap from target speed.

Jeff's right, there are difficulties with that hull - but those simptoms are pretty distinct, and more prevelent at slower speeds, with ballast, and going over wakes, or turning..

Some of it can be tuned out with different sampling and response settings

I normally ski, so I was testing at speed, or trying to, no balast in tanks, just me in the boat, wedge in the garage going straight, in flat water. As long as perfect pass was powered on, I could not accelerate beyond about 23-25 mph. the speed would dip down as far as about 12 before climbing back to about 20. Soon as I turned it off, drove like a dream again.

As far as what mode it was in, I don't know. We really only just started using it a couple weeks ago, and I didn't know there were different modes, it does not have the digital display.

What display do you have? What speed did you have it set at?

... I'm suspecting it was set at a speed lower than you were trying to go - this would give you the behavior you describe ;)

My PP works great at skiing speeds, it is the wakeboarding speeds that I have turbulance issues.

I agree. It sounds like it is on and set at a low speed or RPM. I'm not versed in the wakeboard edition, but what you are describing happens to my PP Pro when I forget to turn it off and accelerate too slowly or beyond the setting.

I have no display for the perfect pass, just a single red light with various blinking patterns, and two buttons to control it.

It should have been set to 32 mph since only my nephews wakeboard and they were not around. I tried clearing it, that didn't seem to help, but without it even engaged just powered on, it was obviously doing funny things.

Normally when pulling the kids, around 22-26 its still powered on but not engaged, and I don't have any issues.

what he is is WakeBoard Cruise, which is just a 2 button membrane, no display. Since you just have Wakeboard cruise, it is speed based, not RPM based, so its not going to be good at skiing speed. RPM mode is for skiing, speed mode is for wakeboard/loaded boats.