Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help building better wake

jetskipro550

As of last night I have tried almost every option that I can think of and I still can't get a great wake out of my boat. I have 3 500lb sacks and the wedge. I have tried 2 sacks in the back, one in the locker. A sack on each side of the engine and one in the locker. One in the bow, behind the engine, and in the locker. I have also played with rope lengths too. With and without the wedge and NOTHING is working.

I go out behind my friends VLX with wedge and stock ballast and I can easily get 7 feet of air...the wake is PERFECT!!! Then I come back to my boat and no matter how much weight I throw at it the wake just sucks compared to his boat. I can get a nice surf wake, an amazing ski wake, but boarding wake really lacks. I have been getting so frustrated with our boarding wake that I almost never board behind my boat anymore (just ski and surf) but boarding is my favorite thing to do.

We are kicking around the idea of getting a v-drive this winter, but until/if that happens I really need help getting a better wake on my boat.

As of last night I have tried almost every option that I can think of and I still can't get a great wake out of my boat. I have 3 500lb sacks and the wedge. I have tried 2 sacks in the back, one in the locker. A sack on each side of the engine and one in the locker. One in the bow, behind the engine, and in the locker. I have also played with rope lengths too. With and without the wedge and NOTHING is working.

I go out behind my friends VLX with wedge and stock ballast and I can easily get 7 feet of air...the wake is PERFECT!!! Then I come back to my boat and no matter how much weight I throw at it the wake just sucks compared to his boat. I can get a nice surf wake, an amazing ski wake, but boarding wake really lacks. I have been getting so frustrated with our boarding wake that I almost never board behind my boat anymore (just ski and surf) but boarding is my favorite thing to do.

We are kicking around the idea of getting a v-drive this winter, but until/if that happens I really need help getting a better wake on my boat.

Perhaps it's the boat and not the misplacement of weight? I've read several other threads on the board that say the RLXi wake is not great for wakeboarding (according to others, even the RLX has a better wakeboarding wake). You mentioned your buddy had a VLX, is it a Sunsetter or Wakesetter? If it's a Wakesetter, of course it has a "perfect" wakeboarding wake. That boat is specifically designed for wakeboarding and the official towboat of several wakeboarding events. If you're really serious about wakeboarding perhaps it's time to trade up to a v-drive (ggggrrrr, as a slalom skier at heart I hate recommending that....)

Chris

No worries mate! I have a buddy, Andrew, who is one of the best ranked riders in the area! He rides behind a 2001 Slxi and has the same problem. He has weighted it to the point that the deck is under water. It's just not going to match one of the flagship wakeboarding boats! He rides behind his all of the time, but prefers to ride behind a prefered hull for wakeboarding. He took first place in one of the Utah comps and at Idaho Boardstock in outlaw. I think he about has his dad convinced to get a VLX, but his dad still likes to hit the slalom course now and then.

Trentster Rockon.gif

Last Saturday we had 500 lbs on either side of the engine with another 750 lbs (iirc) 2 people and the wedge at 60 feet. The wife had no problems clearing an them some it but did have to work harder than behind a vlx or da’ limo. I think that next weekend we’ll put another bag up front to help shape the wake.

How’d setup for surfing? We have all the above bags on the starboard and two behind the engine. I think we need some more up front but it worked ok, the sweet spot is very small

Last Saturday we had 500 lbs on either side of the engine with another 750 lbs (iirc) 2 people and the wedge at 60 feet. The wife had no problems clearing an them some it but did have to work harder than behind a vlx or da’ limo. I think that next weekend we’ll put another bag up front to help shape the wake.

How’d setup for surfing? We have all the above bags on the starboard and two behind the engine. I think we need some more up front but it worked ok, the sweet spot is very small

this is what we are doing for surfing...it works goodscroll half way down

At the WOW we had 4 in the bow, driver, and one in the observers seat (all the weight up front) and a sack on each side of the engine, one in the locker, and the wedge and guess what....didn't help Frustrated.gif