Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Site speed?

Levi900RR

yep, hella slow.  4-5x longer after clicking any link for something to happen than any other site I visit.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

yep, hella slow.  4-5x longer after clicking any link for something to happen than any other site I visit.

It is that way for me too.  Doesn't matter if I am at home, or on the road.  Chrome or Safari.  Very slow.

I agree.  The forum software is a little bit more robust than most sites -- and works EXCELLENT -- but the trade off seems to be speed.  I'm assuming it's self hosted so it may be time to start researching a new plan or new hardware if colo'd.

I'll look into the performance factor, could be the bandwidth is hitting the limits.  It's shared hosting, I don't host it individually as that's just too costly. 

I'm not sure what could be causing the degradation in performance. We are on our own VPS and while it is on a common server, a steady consistent decline in performance isn't something that can usually be attributed to a shared server. There are sooooooooooo many things that could be causing it, and frankly I don't want to guess.

With all of that said, I will be running some updates within the next week or so, so my hope is that a fresh cache and updated software will help kick things back into high gear.

EDIT: And for the record, I'm not seeing any of the slowdowns that are being reported. At all. Soooooo.....I dunno.

I went ahead & installed the updates tonight. For those of you that understand what this means, part of this involves moving to PHP 7. There are some potential performance gains to be had by that, but it may come at the cost of some stability. So if you have issues (specifically with posting), please report it. I can always move us back on PHP versions, so we're not locked in if we decide that the software isn't quite ready for it yet.

Still slow for me - I notice it the most when I click on the unread content link, or when I am going back to that page.  For me when I first load the page it is fine (1-2 seconds).  If I click on Unread Content it takes 4-5 seconds to load.  Click on a forum topic in that and it loads quickly (again about 1-2 seconds).  Go back to the unread content page and it takes again about 4-5 seconds.

I don't have the same issues with other pages but honestly this is the only one that is a forum that I regularily visit.  I did however check out one other forum site and it loads much faster.

Happy to help troubleshoot it you need it - just let me know.

3 hours ago, gahvey said:

Still slow for me - I notice it the most when I click on the unread content link, or when I am going back to that page.  For me when I first load the page it is fine (1-2 seconds).  If I click on Unread Content it takes 4-5 seconds to load.  Click on a forum topic in that and it loads quickly (again about 1-2 seconds).  Go back to the unread content page and it takes again about 4-5 seconds.

I don't have the same issues with other pages but honestly this is the only one that is a forum that I regularily visit.  I did however check out one other forum site and it loads much faster.

Happy to help troubleshoot it you need it - just let me know.

Yep. 

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, WakeGirl said:

Is it Unread Content that is the common issue for people that are experiencing slowness? I only browse the forums from the board index.

Seems the same as everything else for me. I have the view in unread content set to condensed. Not sure if that is different from the guys above. 

Site is faster for me. I use chrome on my phone and desktop. 

I just tried it with the Unread Content in Condensed mode but it still took about the same time to load.  I also tried lowering the amount of time the results look for but that did not make any difference either.

One thing I noticed with the update is certain peoples names in the UNREAD section are now different colors.  It wasn't this way before.  I have no idea what the colors mean -- just pointing out that something is different.

One thing I have noticed since the update, if I click on a link for a thread (and not the dot or star to the left of it) it takes me to the most recent post instead of the original post in the thread. This is in chrome on the mobile site.