Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sky Ski Equipment

stewart

I thought I would ask this here vs. the Sky Ski Group Buy thread.

I am getting the Pro SS w/ foil cover. What other equipment is a MUST have? I'm trying to stay with in a budget and would like to start off with the essentials.

Will a 60' wakeboard rope and handle work? If not, then what?

Do I need the rope break away?

Straps?

Carrying bag? (is this included w/ ski?)

Other?

The ski and a foil cover is all you need. I got a foil cover last month but used the ski all last year without one.

The deep V handle is nice for first timers, but if you already have one, don't buy another. Your wakeboard rope (non stretch) and handle will work great for foiling.

The only other accessory you might want is a foil rack. Depending on how much room you have in your boat, it may not be a necessity. I used my Ski Ski all last year without a rack. This year I spent the money and bought the Comptech rack. VERY nice but also the most expensive one made.

I'm not sure on the Sky Ski, but Pete's Air Chair took either a screw driver or allen to get it apart & it wasn't something you wanted to be doing all of the time. I'm going to get the Air Boom rack - that one comes highly recommended in another thread floating around here. While it's not quite on the level of the Comptech rack, it's nowhere near the money either. Of course I don't have near the room in my boat that you do, but you might check to see if they've got one available for the Illusion.

I thought I would ask this here vs. the Sky Ski Group Buy thread.

Good idea. All my responses in the group buy thread made a bit of a mess of it.

I am getting the Pro SS w/ foil cover.  What other equipment is a MUST have?

Those are the only things I would insist on.

Will a 60' wakeboard rope and handle work? If not, then what?

That will work fine to start with. If you have trouble learning to get up a Deep-V handle helps but if you don't need it it is safer with a standard handle. A non-stretch rope is preferred for the same reason it is preferred for Wakeboarding. I suspect that many hydrofoilers prefer a longer rope but it certainly won't be a problem with a 60' rope.

Do I need the rope break away?

Not unless/until you start jumping/inverting. It becomes important when you start doing things that allow the foil and handle to get anywhere near each other. (inverts, etc.) I have been foiling for 8+ years and just got my the CinchMax release this past Christmas. However, my only inverts have been dismount inverts where risk of foil/handle interference are a bit lower.

Straps?

FootStays from Lonnie of CinchMax fame are the way to go with straps. They are more comfortable and safer than standard foot straps. However, the comfort difference won't matter unless/until you start riding for hours on end without taking a break. The safety aspect of foot straps is that the standard straps tend to allow your feet to come out under some conditions. (Primarily forward falls) If this happens the foil assembly can come around and smack you in the back of the head. This is not a major issue when you are learning but once you start picking the speed up a bit and/or start jumping forward falls occur more often. A helmet helps about as much as the FootStays do. :-)

Carrying bag?  (is this included w/ ski?)

No carrying bag came with the SkySki in the past. I bought both the foil cover and the board cover. The board cover is nice but certainly not necessary.

The only other options I can think of that you might consider are anodizing (looks better if you don't polish the foil assembly frequently); a helmet; and a tower rack. The tower rack solves lots of problems.

PAIN: With the hydrofoil laying around in the boat, you WILL hit the foil assembly with feet, legs, etc. It HURTS! Foil covers help in ths matter but a tower rack is better.

UPHOLSTERY: The foil assembly does very bad things to the upholstery if you are not careful (and lots of moveable boat ballast tends to lack care...). Foil covers help in the matter but a tower rack is better. If you have neither then put life jackets around the foil assembly to protect your boat.

INGRESS/EGRESS: Depending on your boat, the hydrofoil is VERY difficult to keep out of the way. A tower rack (or storage on shore when not in use) is an excellent solution to this problem.

However, you can avoid the need for a tower rack by just leaving the Sky Ski in the water where it belongs. Once you learn to ride it there will be no reason to take it out of the water! Biggrin.gif

Jeff/AirChair1

Edited by AirChair1

Thanks for the detailed reply!

If I was to get a deep handle, what length rope should I order with it? What is preferred?

Of course I don't have near the room in my boat that you do, but you might check to see if they've got one available for the Illusion.

Metcraft makes on for the Illusion. I'm having a flyer sent ot me.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

If I was to get a deep handle, what length rope should I order with it?  What is preferred?

Handles are interchangeable. You can simply change the handle back and forth if you want. I tend to use an old slalom line with the deep-v handle since the slalom line is not used for much else. Once you can generally get up and out of the water you should stop using the deep-v except for training others. Therefore a separate rope isn't that important unless you teach someone new every time you go out on the water.

Note: I updated my long novel with more comments about a tower rack.....

Jeff/AirChair1

Do you break it down and stick under the seat?  How easy is it to do?

My current Sky Ski comes apart into two pieces quite easily. The foil assembly and the board/seat tower. That is how I transport it to/from the boat. I carry a ratchet/wrench with me and can take it apart or put it together in less than a minute. However, I have heard rumors that the newer ones require a bit more work to separate.....

Jeff/AirChair1

• 2 weeks later...

Stewart,

I would definitely look into a helmet. I have a protec with the ear flaps. I was doing inverts last summer and threw one wrong and ended up hurting my ear drum. I would also strongly recommend a cinch release for your rope. It break away if you get hung up. Just my 2 cents. Also, did you receive my payments for the cupholders. i have a receipt that it went through paypal. Just making sure i take care of everything on my end. Let me know!!

Kraig

Check into this item from Skyski, ratcheting handles:

Ratcheting%20Handles.jpg

Do you break it down and stick under the seat?  How easy is it to do?

My current Sky Ski comes apart into two pieces quite easily. The foil assembly and the board/seat tower. That is how I transport it to/from the boat. I carry a ratchet/wrench with me and can take it apart or put it together in less than a minute. However, I have heard rumors that the newer ones require a bit more work to separate.....

Jeff/AirChair1