Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

speedometer

My speedometer stopped working. All the other gauges are working fine. The pitot are not cloged that was the first thing I checked. I think there is power going to the gauge because when I turned the boat off yesterday the needle jumped. Any Ideas? Thanks.

Water in tube can come from a crack or if it is leaking at the gauge. Speaking of the gauge, did you look behind it?

If you disconnect from the gauge you could try putting low-pressure compressed air through it.

I just went through this on my Sunscape LSV which is also an '01. When you turn the key to the ON position, put your finger on the face of the gauge. They go through an initialization sequence where they rattle a little. If you can feel it moving then the gauge is probably still functional and you have an incoming signal issue either electrical (between the box and the gauge) or mechanical (between the pitot and the box.

Unfortunately my gauge didn't initialize. I did find 5v to the back of the gauge like the others so I assumed it was a bad gauge and ordered a new one. About 15 min to swap it out and it works fine now. I think I paid ~$70 through the dealership delivered to my house.

Good luck!

I need a little help with my Speedo, It keeps filling up with water and leaking out around the stereo on my boat. It just started happening and I am not sure as to what the problem is. I have unhooked the hose from the pitot but have yet to try it to see if it stopped filling up. It only fills up as I am driving and the faster I drive the faster it fills up. It is also not reading correctly anymore.

The line must have a leak in order for the water to make it to the gauge. Did it have a tight seal at the gauge and/or is the line brittle from age? Matt (UWskier), among others, can give you a more specific diagnosis/fix.

Thanks Jack

I will try taking the dash apart to get at the back of the guage and see if it is connected properly and also try blowing out the lines. Where do the lines run? Under the gunnels or throught the engine compartment?