Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Long throw on the throttle

Okay, I was pulling my buddy on the trick ski at about 17 mph behind his '94 Echelon. The perfect pass pro (don't know what year) was engaged in wakeboard mode and doing just fine. Halfway through the run, some wally goes in front of me throwing a big wake. The boat hit the wake so hard that it reset the perfect pass (turned it off momentarily as if the power was cut). Since then, we put the boat in gear but you have to push the throttle down to horizontal before any throttle registers with the boat. The boat still runs fine and the cruise works fine, but there is way too much play in the throttle. How do I get perfect pass to give me an accurate throttle again?

Check the rope going around the knob on the servo (under the engine cover). That has probably loosened up on you. Just turn the knob until the rope is tight again and everything will return to normal. I know from experience, except mine was worse - the knob backed off (and fell off). I suddenly had NO THROTTLE. It scared the hell out of me. Then I was embarassed because all of this is explained in the manual. Sounds like you have as much time for the manual as me!!

ENJOY!!

Thanks guys. I don't have time for the manual because it's not actually my boat. We use his Echelon during the week since my sporty is at the cabin. It scared the hell out of me when I hit the throttle to pull him up and nothing was happening. Even though it's not my boat, I want it to work perfectly.

The more friends with boats the better, right.

Similar thing happened to me. I was pulling a boarder, then all of a sudden I lost all throttle. I had no clue what happened, but after looking around the motor, I found the perfect pass knob just dangling around. It had popped right off. After reinstalling it and wrapping the string around the servo motor, I was in good shape.

Personally, I think that is a really cheap design. I think they can come up with a little more robust design for little to no additional cost.

Joe