Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Board Transportation

Idaorr

So here's the issue. How are you guys transporting your surf boards to and from the lake? We basically stack them in the walkway and hope they make it home. Won't fit in the back of the escalade, and hate them riding on top of one another. So what are the options? Travel anywhere from 30 mins to an hour and hardly ever   tow with cover on.

I have a bag for each one on mine I put them in for travel...no matter the distance.  I also had a tonneau cover made for the front of the boat.  Always have it on when I travel.  Tuck the boards in the windshield walkway and no issues.

I have bags for mine. Had the local boat cover guy sew 4 loops to the bag. I use Velcro rope savers to hook them under the tower. Great way to keep your boards out of the racks , out of the way, and out of the sun. Also makes a nice small sun shade, when you don't have the Bimini up

Edited by surfdude
  • Like 2

Looks like I need to invest in some bags for the boards( Nothing like the crew spending my money). My biggest concern is I have an Inland Surfer Red Rocket that is a big boy board and it sets at an angle in the walkway. I always wonder if it with catch an up draft and not make it home. I was hoping someone had come up with a rack or something to hold them down in the middle of the boat while traveling to lake.

I have 3 surf boards that I stack & bungy together.  I put life vests in between them to keep from rubbing & bungy around the stack.  Works good....no damage & heavy enough to ride in the boat without cover 2 hours away.

21 hours ago, spikew919 said:

This is what I use. Super nice. 

IMG_4331.jpg

I really like the look of this. Do you have to remove the fins? How many boards can it handle? Where did you purchase it? All great ideas and suggestions going to try a few.

50 minutes ago, Idaorr said:

I really like the look of this. Do you have to remove the fins? How many boards can it handle? Where did you purchase it? All great ideas and suggestions going to try a few.

Bought at evo.com I believe or amazon. And you can leave fins and holds 4 boards of any size. Even had straps too hook to top of Bimini and holds your boards up there. Pretty sweet set up. I have yet to use it up on Bimini. Since ours already has surf straps up there. 

On 7/7/2017 at 9:55 AM, isellacuras said:

I slide my 3 surf boards in the drivers seat and then slide seat forward as far as I can and then tilt the steering wheel down to lock them in.  

+1

• 1 year later...

Hi That Guy

Any chance of re posting the photo that you posted back in July 10  2017 please. as it is now no longer valid off your above thread

Cheers

I carry mine from the boat house to my boat 🤗

Before I had a lake house and we towed, I would use board bags and lay them in the walkway. Nothing ever got blown out or damaged.

If I don't have too many passengers in my Yukon XL Denali I have enough room with half 3rd row seat down to put the boards inside  Preferred method).  If not then the boards ride in the walkway between driver and passenger in the boat and put the Plexi wind blocker in place.  I wrap towels around the boards then place wake boards around or on top to hold down.  Gator step flooring also helps keep them in place.  Boards never move for our 30-40 min drive which includes ~70% driving at highway speeds.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater
12 hours ago, Jusmud said:

Hi That Guy

Any chance of re posting the photo that you posted back in July 10  2017 please. as it is now no longer valid off your above thread

Cheers

@Jusmud    All fixed, sorry about that, hope it helps!

@That Guy I remember the thread.

I transport in the racks while at the lake/lakehouse, 0.5 mile trip. When towing to a diff lake, they are on the boat floor, or in the back of my truck with life jackets in between them, as best as I can. My boards are 3 to 4 yrs old and are showing some wear. The boards ride fine in the back of the truck, a bag would be better, not worried about it.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:49 AM, carguy79ta said:

@That Guy I remember the thread.

When towing to a diff lake, they are on the boat floor, or in the back of my truck with life jackets in between them, as best as I can. 

About the same here....just put life jackets between each of them & bunjee them all together....never had a problem going 2 hours away at 80 mph.