Sign in to follow this  
GMC

Bow Ballast Leaking?

GMC

I think I have a leak in the bow ballast in my 06 VLX. Every time I fill it, it is about half empty after about 15 minutes. No water in the boat, so I assume the water must be going in to the bilge. Anybody ever experienced anything like this? Any help would be appreciated.

db252

I know what you are talking about. The same thing happens to me but what I believe is happening is surge during take off and bow rise that expels water out the overflow/vent or even the drain pump. I may try to add a shut off valve to see if that prevents it.

GMC

db,

It will literally take me 3-4 minutes to re-fill the bow ballast after one set. Are you seeing that much coming out?

D-GOOSE

what about routing the dischange hose higher so that way it will not drain.

WakeGirl

Have you checked your bilge after the tanks empties itself? It may not be a leak, but it might be siphoning back through the fill line while underway. It's actually quite common. I just usually turn the valves shut on the 2 forward tanks' fill lines to prevent that from happening.

db252
db,

It will literally take me 3-4 minutes to re-fill the bow ballast after one set. Are you seeing that much coming out?

I may not have as much loss as that but after a set or two I am refilling for about a minute. Another problem is with the boat weighted so much to one side for surfing I'll get water out the overflow before it reads full sometimes. Every boat is somewhat quirky when it comes to this situation with all the tanks. People are reporting tanks filling and draining passively for unkown reasons as well. I would try Tracie's idea of shutting off the intake valve and see what that does.

GMC

Thanks Wakegirl!! I will give that a shot and see how it works.