Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weighting A Response LXi

hco

Hey everyone, I apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum, I am new to this site and this seemed like it might work the best. My family currently owns a malibu response LXi, basically, one of the smallest wakes out there. Unfortunately, this sucks for my friends, sisters, etc.... passion for wakesurfing, wakeskating, and wakeboarding. Currently, my setup includes 2 fatsacs, but only enough plugs for one (which will change soon) one pump, a pylon, and the wedge. Here lies the problem. The weight limit on the boat is 1050 lbs (could be a little bit more, but I doubt it). With one fat sac and 7 people, gear, coolers, etc.... I am already about 400 lbs over, maybe a bit more. If I have both sacs in, there is a good chance the boat will be underwater. So, this is where my questions begin.

Does anyone have any reccomendations as to how to weight the response in order to pump out the best wake, and still have enough room for all 7 (could be 8) people?

I would put my rear sac in the ski-locker, however, I am afraid of damaging the gas tank because everytime I fill up the sac in the locker I smell ALOT of gas fumes coming from the boat (which is also saying something since I am almost immune to the smell of gasoline [i pump gas at the local marina for a job]). Am I being overly afraid? Is there anyway to reinforce the tank so I might not damage it? If I put the rear and front sack in, I lose about 5 seat spots, and noone likes to sit on the edge of a boat for a day of boarding.

This winter I plan to dump a couple grand into the boat, and integrate the fat sacks into the boat (get a custom bow cushion with supports over the bow sac, re-inforce the gas tank so I can put my rear sack in there) making both of the fat sacs ballast sacs, and I also plan on buying a tower, board racks, a new sound system, and maybe some tower lights. It all depends on how much I make from now until the end of october (if anyone can give me any tips or hints on that, I would appreciate it).

Sorry for the long thread topics, it is all over the place, but hopefully you guys can help me out a bit.

Thanks,

Dan

Welcome to the site. I have some thoughts for you.

First, you have a response lx, not an lxi. This is a good thing for you of you want to be able to add weight. I would suggest using lead plates under the passenger seat, in the middle, bwich is harder to do with an lxi.

Second, DO NOT put a sac in your trunk!!! If you're smelling gas fumes, then you may have already done permanent damage. The big problem is that the tank "components" are on top of the tank, so by putting a sac in there, you're squishing those components badly, and they are not designed for that. Isn't there a warning in there? As for reinforcing it, perhaps others on here might be able to shed some light on that, but I don't think it's worth it.

As for other weighting options, get a barefoot international fat seat. It holds a lot of weight, and is designed for people to still be able to use it as a rear seat.

Don't go over your CG capacities. You didn't mention the wedge, if you don't have one, thats a great way to add wake to that boat without making it too heavy to operate safely. As for plugs, you say you just have one. Check the glove box, you may have one in there too in addition to the one by the driver.

Have fun with the boat!

I do have a wedge, and I am pretty sure I have the response LXi, I would be suprised if I don't have the LXi. I did not see any warnings in there, and no worries, there is no permanent damage (been into the shop twice this summer). The fat seat already puts my boat well over the approved USCG weight limit. The only way to get a good wake is to go over the limit, and I am comfortable going about 300-400 lbs. over the limit.

Climb over, and sorry, I messed up. We got the boat in 2000, but it was a 1999 reponse lxi (so says the dad).
That's a Response LX. The LXi is a walk-thru open bow and wasn't made until '03 (I think).
Climb over, and sorry, I messed up. We got the boat in 2000, but it was a 1999 reponse lxi (so says the dad).
That's a Response LX. The LXi is a walk-thru open bow and wasn't made until '03 (I think).

That's correct.

We put a lot of weight in my Bu, but I'm on a mid-size lake that never gets huge waves, and is less than 2 miles long. I don't worry about the weight limit. I worry about the back of the boat going under water. I think you can put as much weight as you feel the boat can handle while still being useable. We've had so much in mine that when we surfed, water was almost coming over the side of the back corner. Now if I had a son, he would never be allowed to do this without me. And I'd never let my friends do it without me, because you have to be a really good drvier not to take waves over the bow and the transom with that much weight.

I think you should let your dad decide how much is too much and listen to him.

He has been in on this the entire time with me. He would rather me go over the weight limit and push the weight limit than go out and buy another boat for wakeboarding. Not saying that I am a good driver, but I have lived on the lake all my life, been driving boats for a while, etc... and he was in the boat with me while I drove my friends for 2 seasons previous to this one. I am currently trying to get him to certify some of my friends so they can drive me (as of now I am the only person that can drive the boat besides my parents). Again, I am trying not to sound like the overly confident and y teenager, although I am sure that is what I sound like right now.