Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

She is gone!

maliboo

The buyer wanted it bad, so with 2 more tournaments remaining shes gone. The plenum was p-coated at the same time as the tower. Theres bigger pics in my gallery.

Dwayne

post-264-1155970914_thumb.jpg

post-264-1155970943_thumb.jpg

post-264-1155970965_thumb.jpg

Edited by maliboo

Hey Dwayne, we missed your boat yesterday at Lakeview. Laku's was there. Nice Bu but not as blinged out as yours was.

When you getting your 2007? I'm anxious to ski behind it.

SGY - I won't order mine until Dec. I will have an 07' in the next 2 weeks to use a little. Only problem is that it won't have PP. We can try out the Precision Pro speed control and see how it works. I am curious how it will compare. I have been skiing behind an 05' CC lately. If it wasn't for Malibu that is the boat that I would own.

Jmadden - Not so lonely. I haven't skied behind it for a month. I am glad that I don't have to worry about not using it. My lake is dry, DAMN GOLFERS, so this takes a little of the sting out of that.

If the "BU BERRY", as my friends named it, was my last boat I would have been fine with it. The person that bought it is getting an awesome boat.

Dwayne

Edited by maliboo

Ditto on the dry lake Dwayne. Ours was done for last weekend. I sold mine to a guy in Illinois last Sunday and I'm working on next years plan.

SGY - I won't order mine until Dec. I will have an 07' in the next 2 weeks to use a little. Only problem is that it won't have PP. We can try out the Precision Pro speed control and see how it works. I am curious how it will compare. I have been skiing behind an 05' CC lately. If it wasn't for Malibu that is the boat that I would own.

Jmadden - Not so lonely. I haven't skied behind it for a month. I am glad that I don't have to worry about not using it. My lake is dry, DAMN GOLFERS, so this takes a little of the sting out of that.

If the "BU BERRY", as my friends named it, was my last boat I would have been fine with it. The person that bought it is getting an awesome boat.

Dwayne

Hey Dwayne. Good to hear from you. You've been scarce this summer. I'd love to see what's up with the 2007. When you get access to one, give me a call and I'll bring the gas and beer. In the meantime, give me a call or email if you want a pull at CW. My 196 (the banana boat, as skisix calls it) is running like a champ.

Dwayne

Any chance of bringing it out to CW and letting a few of us put the 30% wake reduction and improved tracking to the test? We could do some side by side test of the 07 and 03. Laku's RLXi was the best boat this year, lots more hole shot than yours but not all the tricks. I'm helping the new owner of Jack's old boat with setting it up- any things I should pay close attention to?

Dwayne

Any chance of bringing it out to CW and letting a few of us put the 30% wake reduction and improved tracking to the test? We could do some side by side test of the 07 and 03. Laku's RLXi was the best boat this year, lots more hole shot than yours but not all the tricks. I'm helping the new owner of Jack's old boat with setting it up- any things I should pay close attention to?

It will be going to CW. It doesn't have PP so someone will have to bring a stopwatch. I am curious what people will think of it. It seems like everyone has already made up there minds. I personally hated the Response OB, the 99' Response with trunk, SSLXi and the RLXi. Until I use them. I am withholding judgment.

I suspect they might know what they are doing. Sometimes you guys remind me of Norm Speak, "DAMN OPENBOWS". :) Its amazing Malibu is still in business with all screw ups they have made. :)

I will still give up a little hole shot for a quieter boat any day. As long as it is not to much. I never had any problem with the hole shot on the 06' even with my buddy thats a 6'5" 240lbs beginner slalom skier. I wish I would have raced you just to see the differance. I think alot is perception when the boat is quieter. Deb Craddock says " Laku's Malibu is too stiff like the old ones and yours was much softer". Only differance is the quiet stuff. I think she can hear the boat so it must be going faster.

Jacks old boat was pretty well dialed. It has so few hours that it will be hard to tell. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Watch for idle flair or high idle. I have a fix for that. How is your friend liking it so far?

Dwayne

Edited by maliboo

Dwayne

It will be going to CW. It doesn't have PP so someone will have to bring a stopwatch. I am curious what people will think of it. It seems like everyone has already made up there minds. I personally hated the Response OB, the 99' Response with trunk, SSLXi and the RLXi. Until I use them. I am withholding judgment.

I suspect they might know what they are doing. Sometimes you guys remind me of Norm Speak, "DAMN OPENBOWS". :) Its amazing Malibu is still in business with all screw ups they have made. :)

I will still give up a little hole shot for a quieter boat any day. As long as it is not to much. I never had any problem with the hole shot on the 06' even with my buddy thats a 6'5" 240lbs beginner slalom skier. I wish I would have raced you just to see the differance. I think alot is perception when the boat is quieter. Deb Craddock says " Laku's Malibu is too stiff like the old ones and yours was much softer". Only differance is the quiet stuff. I think she can hear the boat so it must be going faster.

Jacks old boat was pretty well dialed. It has so few hours that it will be hard to tell. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Watch for idle flair or high idle. I have a fix for that. How is your friend liking it so far?

Dwayne

Jack's boat is sweet. I think its quieter than my Nautique. So I was impressed. Very smooth too. I think Mark loves it. He was stoked skiing behind it. I got one short set in and then it rained. I'm going up to Boulder with Greg tomorrow to ski behind it again--although I'll miss any tweaking that Greg will do. He doesn't need my Nautique bias anyway. :lol: Did Bu get the vapor lock problem fixed. While Jack's boat started each time, I was a little worried at one point when it didn't start the first time. On the second try, it kinda sputtered and then came to life. I did notice the idle flair. Send Greg an email or PM with that fix just in case.

Norm Speak is a hoot. The first thing he said to me when he saw my 196 was "bout time you got rid of that open bow. Damn open bow boats." He still loves his Infinity.

Edited by SGY

Dwayne

Notice please that I have restricted my comments about it to only say that the proof is behind the wheel and behind the boat. When are you planning on having it at CW? Will you be there alone or with a large contingent? I will be happy to bring a stopwatch.

Laku's did get loud after the first hour of driving- do you really think that's it or is it some ECM/PP chipset thing? You'd really have to have a lot more top end then me because my '03 get to the 55m guide in half the time as yours but mine also pulls more firmly. The laku boat was softer than yours probably because of CR set up. While driving I could hear the adjustments being made and in yours it just purred. Deb missed her opener that rnd I think so in 3 buoys she could tell it was a firm pull?

PM or call with that fix so I can get him set up with one trip, also let me know when you intend to be out at CW with the new RLXi so I can bring my camera

Dwayne,

lets put something together on this. I can bring my camera and get Brandon's video camera and we can put together a nice review of the boat for the Bu crew. Steve, Mickey, Walt and I can ski & drive it and write some reviews and compare it to my '03. It wouldn't take all that long or put many hours on the new boat and would provide some good info to the crew to mull over in the winter months and you'll have a heaad start on what things you'll want to do to get your boat ready in the spring.

Tracie, another Gallery?

Dwayne,

lets put something together on this. I can bring my camera and get Brandon's video camera and we can put together a nice review of the boat for the Bu crew. Steve, Mickey, Walt and I can ski & drive it and write some reviews and compare it to my '03. It wouldn't take all that long or put many hours on the new boat and would provide some good info to the crew to mull over in the winter months and you'll have a heaad start on what things you'll want to do to get your boat ready in the spring.

Tracie, another Gallery?

Sounds like a great idea to me. It'll also give Tommy a nice sales pitch/brochure. Let's do it before the water gets cold.

Now yer talkin! This sounds like a great idea! I can't wait to see something other than media hype on this boat. Thumbup.gif

While you are at it, can you get some pics of the two boats, side by side from different angles (include on water and on trailer)? The pics of the '07 with the new gel scheme make it really difficult to 'see' the true shape of the bow. And none of the pics to date are shown next to the '06 and previous model so you can see just how different the '07 is (or isn't).

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

Jack's boat is sweet. I think its quieter than my Nautique. So I was impressed. Very smooth too. I think Mark loves it. He was stoked skiing behind it. I got one short set in and then it rained. I'm going up to Boulder with Greg tomorrow to ski behind it again--although I'll miss any tweaking that Greg will do. He doesn't need my Nautique bias anyway. :lol: Did Bu get the vapor lock problem fixed. While Jack's boat started each time, I was a little worried at one point when it didn't start the first time. On the second try, it kinda sputtered and then came to life. I did notice the idle flair. Send Greg an email or PM with that fix just in case.

Norm Speak is a hoot. The first thing he said to me when he saw my 196 was "bout time you got rid of that open bow. Damn open bow boats." He still loves his Infinity.

Quieter than your Nautique??? All it had was the Silent riders, no motor box insulation and no quiet exhaust tips. Does it feel like it has more hole shot than mine??? Am I missing something??? I noticed that my boat was much quieter when I used Jack's espically riding in it and from the beach.

I never had any vapor lock only impatient people driving that would crank and crank and crank. If they don't start right away, stop cranking, turn the key off and wait 3 seconds(a lifetime, I know) and try again. I never had to try a third time, but I watched as other people cranked away. If it does not start first try the computer needs to reset new parameters for starting. I think some of the hard start and hole shot issues were TBW.

The idle flair is best left to the experts. ME!! :) Just kidding, its not that hard, but you run the risk of tearing the combing pad where the throttle is mounted.

Dwayne

I gotta just point something out here. All this talk about MC's and SN196's being quiet. I drove the exact same divisions this weekend in two different rounds of tourney. One rnd with the 196 and the other with the RLXi. I don't think the RLXi had all the quiet stuff that Maliboo's had. In the end I don't really believe one is more "quiet" than the other. They make very different noises but both take a loud voice to carry a conversation and with both I can hear the spray of the boat very clearly. I think it comes down to whether or not you would rather sissy gear whine or throaty manly power!

Dwayne,

Tracie, another Gallery?

I am at the mercy of the dealer and Malibu. When it gets here I will be the one to assembly it.

That will be as soon as I can, as long as no more foriegn emergency trips are in my near future. That last one was an asskicker.

Walts not driving this boat. I am not that interested in someone thats an expert in everything and has there mind made up that Malibu is no better than a Bayliner getting to drive it, sorry. You, Mickey, Steve, and Rod should be the test crew. I will let you know when I hear the shipment is coming.

By the way Vina was flying out of Heathrow the day the last BS started. When are we going to turn the whole Middle East into a glass parking lot.

Dwayne

Walts not driving this boat. I am not that interested in someone thats an expert in everything and has there mind made up that Malibu is no better than a Bayliner getting to drive it, sorry. You, Mickey, Steve, and Rod should be the test crew. I will let you know when I hear the shipment is coming.

Dwayne

Whatever! FYI Dwayne, Walt thinks my boat drives better than any other boat out there and has just as much time in it as he does his own. I understand the way he feels about how his boat drives, it drives better then any other SN I've driven and I've driven a lot of them, I it does drive better than a lot of the Malibu's out there.

The whole idea is to compare the new and old RLXi. How does the skiing compare, how does the driving compare, how easy is it to dunk the front, how pleasurable is the experience, how well can Claire see out the windshield. We'll take side be side pictures and post everything here.

That would be awesome Greg Yahoo.gif

Aside from perhaps Chris Eller, Claire is the best driver I've had the privilege of taking sets with. I'd like to get her her take on both boats from behind the wheel.

So you're going to let someone dunk the nose of that '03 on purpose Surprised.gif I haven't done mine yet, but I came close once.

Thanks for Claire, I'll pass along your kind words. Not someone GT, me. Yes, I'm going to come into the dock at "skier drop off speed" and turn out and around and cut the throttle to see if either boat picks up water. I think that's a realistic real world test. I don't intend wakeboard with either boat and I know for sure that on a big lake with wakeboard boats running around I could dunk the nose. I can scoop up about 25 gal in a '05 196( right SGY?) and no one complains about water over the bow on those!