Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skiing behind a 2003 VLX?

watson

Hey Everyone. I'm new to the board and FINALY just bought my first Malibu.

Maybe some of you more experienced members can give me a little insight. I bought a 2003 VLX and I'm a little worried about how skiable the wake is going to be?. Any input would be appreciated.

Maybe some of you more experienced members can give me a little insight. I bought a 2003 VLX and I'm a little worried about how skiable the wake is going to be?. Any input would be appreciated.

Welcome to the board!!

Anything above a recreational type skiing will not be easy. There is a considerable bump especially under 32 mph.

You can ski behind the VLX, but as stated there is a considerable bump even though it may look flattened out above 30-32 mph. It's OK if you are just cruising around and want to get in an occasional ski run. The boat is designed for wakeboarding, and it is very good at that.

Is it the Sunscape or the Wakesetter VLX? If it is the Sunscape, it will ski better that the Wakesetter due to a different hull design.

Of course the sunscape is better, but believe me NOT that much. If you want to ski alot buy a direct drive. I've skiied behind both the sunscape hull and the wakesetter hull in the 21v drive and consider the VLX just fine for all but hardcore skiing for my speed of 32mph. We actually tested both boats in 2004 and I find the 'bump' not that bad in the VLX.

The boat I ended up with was a VLX because I thought it was a better mix for me skiiing at an intermediate level and had the bonus of pleasing my teen age kids for wakeboarding and surfing when weighted down. Not to mention all the benefits of a vdrive in general.

I've found that if you run 15' off, while using the plyon, you'll be in a decent spot for crossing the wake. This is on my 02 vlx, with all the stock ballast empty. At the full 75' of rope/handle the wake seems to be especially hard to hande.

I've found that if you run 15' off, while using the plyon, you'll be in a decent spot for crossing the wake. This is on my 02 vlx, with all the stock ballast empty. At the full 75' of rope/handle the wake seems to be especially hard to hande.

compared to my boat, the ski wake is awful on a vlx...but on the other hand my boarding wake is awful compared to the same boat. Its time to buy a wakeboard Biggrin.gif

compared to my boat, the ski wake is awful on a vlx...but on the other hand my boarding wake is awful compared to the same boat. Its time to buy a wakeboard Biggrin.gif

Your wake looks just fine.. Biggrin.gif

I know how we can fix this... I'll drive up to where ever you live, drop my boat off and pick yours up... I'll deal with your wake problems. ;)

I know how we can fix this... I'll drive up to where ever you live, drop my boat off and pick yours up... I'll deal with your wake problems. ;)

no no no, you don't have to do that...I will do drive my boat up to his house (with a full tank of gas) and leave it with him, and take that horrible ski wake throwing thing off his hands Yes.gif

Edited by jetskipro550