Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Free skiing timing

martho

This winter/spring we have been doing alot of free skiing as the permanent course is not up yet and we only put the portable in once.

How does one keep a nice pace and nice timing?

Without the urgency for the balls, I catch myself pulling too long and getting way out before the turn. Then, I turn and go and have a long way to get across the wake. I feel that I am not accomplishing anything by free skiing other than conditioning and being on the water.

Any thoughts?

You got to ski make believe balls. The timing should be perfect because when your ready for the turn, that's where the ball is.

Shorten the rope to at least 15 off and as you pull out watch the colors of the rope and end your pull out when the color section you selected reaches the side of the boat. Obviously, the colors closest to the pylon will force you to pull out further. Make your turn and watch the colors again and make your turn when the color reaches the other side of the boat. That will keep your turns consistent from side to side. Once you get a feel of how far you are pulling out, you won't need to look at the rope color any longer and your free skiing turns will be the same side to side. Try to look down the lake then as you make your turns.

Another great free skiing exercise is to pull out as far as you can and hold good pulling position as long as you can. Do it on both sides. This exercise builds your strength and ability to hold position crossing the wake.

Rip

Well, when you figure it out let me know. I only ski in the course and would like to free ski once in awhile. Last time I went out to free ski I spent the whole time not working on my technique but trying to figure out where I was in the imaginary course. With no visual clues I couldn't tell if I was pulling too long, too short and when I checked to see where the rope was hitting up on the boat there goes the great counter rotated turn. I also ended up with a longer preturn much of the time. Linking 20 or so turns together is great for rythm and getting balanced on the ski though.

i find that when i free ski, i DON'T worry about imagining where i am in the course, and I just relax and ski. This makes me ski a lot better. I am not so worried about trying to get to the next ball...

Free skiing isn't about timing, or your position,

or technique,

Its all about how big your spray is!!!! Yeah!!

When I free ski, I just concentrate on my wake crossings.

After crossing the wake, I'll make my turn.... whenever,

as if I was waiting for the ball to come to me.

Hey, when you're out on the lake without a course (like me too much of the time), I find it just to be a great opportunity to work on position and technique. When you're out chasin' balls....WOWWWWWWWWWWWW Quick rephrase...when the bouys are coming too quick....thats not so good either......uh...use it as a good time to teach the girl you met the night before proper throttle positioning. There you go.

while i love every minute in the course, the open water sets are just for grins. no timing or pulling issues, just stamina and a smile. it's a good life if you don't weaken.

Good chance to focus on body position and strength conditioning. I like to work on wake crossings- getting good position and ripping across the wakes as hard and as smoothly as possible. Then just coast on the otherside, slowly start your turn back and do the same thing again. Seems that helps my course sking the best. I have a hard time keeping soft knees at the wakes and this is good practice. Plus it gives your muscles a good work out.

Lakenut is on to it. All the hard work is done while you are in a tug-of-war with the boat - not in the turn. This should give great angle across the wake and create heaps of space before "the buoy" to allow all the choices from there.

I'm not a big fan of the tug o war with 325+ HP. Closing off my shoulders and giving it a big pull in the wakes just makes my back hurt and I run fewer buoys. Crazy.gif

Edited by Rod S