Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 illusion X tower problem

I've read a few posts about this but the 06 tower has a different bushing than the 05 and prior. I bought my Vride new 0 hours about a month ago. From day one the tower shimmied up and down at the pull pin point by about a quarter to half inch. Then the pin would work its way out. I tightened the set screw to keep the pin in tighter and that stopped the pin from working its way out but the tower still rattles-squeeks. It's driving me crazy! Crazy.gif

I love the boat and the tower, quick into my garage, but the bushing is already squashed-stretched oval. My dealer said Metcraft is supposed to be sending some new bushings, but that has been 3 weeks. I called them today and they said Metcraft forgot to send them.

Anyone else having this problem with the 06 or newer? I just wonder if it will start happening again with the new bushings since it did it from day 1 with a new boat and tower?

I wonder if the bushing can be made out of a more durable material?

Anyone solve this tower defect? I only see it becoming a bigger problem once more folks have this design. :(

Don

I've read a few posts about this but the 06 tower has a different bushing than the 05 and prior. I bought my Vride new 0 hours about a month ago. From day one the tower shimmied up and down at the pull pin point by about a quarter to half inch. Then the pin would work its way out. I tightened the set screw to keep the pin in tighter and that stopped the pin from working its way out but the tower still rattles-squeeks. It's driving me crazy! Crazy.gif

I love the boat and the tower, quick into my garage, but the bushing is already squashed-stretched oval. My dealer said Metcraft is supposed to be sending some new bushings, but that has been 3 weeks. I called them today and they said Metcraft forgot to send them.

Anyone else having this problem with the 06 or newer? I just wonder if it will start happening again with the new bushings since it did it from day 1 with a new boat and tower?

I wonder if the bushing can be made out of a more durable material?

Anyone solve this tower defect? I only see it becoming a bigger problem once more folks have this design. :(

Don

eyed,

I have an '06 iRide with the illusion X tower. I haven't had the problem you mentioned (tower shimmy). I do remember looking at the iRide in the showroom and the tower being impossible to drop. The dealer said they come from the factory so tight that they need to "drill out" the spot where the pin goes in to hold the tower. If this is true (not sure if it is) then maybe your dealer got a little to aggressive with the "drill" and made the hole in the tower too big. I think this would account for both the tower shimmy and the pin coming out.

It's also a complete possibility that I have no idea what I'm talking about since I'm just repeating what I heard Innocent.gif

B Potts, what you say seems right. When I look at the bushing, it looks like the i.d. is too big. I was thinking, if these could be a little tighter, then there would be no problem with the shimmy.

They are getting some new bushings in for me from Metcraft. I will make sure they are snug. I would rather they be a little snug.

Thanks for the info, I felt like this was odd for such a well made boat.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I received the bushings from the dealer and installed them myself so that they wouldn't be drilled out. They work great, tower is stable, no shimmey. The pins are a little harder to pull but nothing ridiculous. Funny thing is that the dealer told me a may have to drill them out a little, not needed at all and that was obviously the problem in the first place.

Back to loving everything about my new Malibu. :)

Don

Just an update. I received the bushings from the dealer and installed them myself so that they wouldn't be drilled out. They work great, tower is stable, no shimmey. The pins are a little harder to pull but nothing ridiculous. Funny thing is that the dealer told me a may have to drill them out a little, not needed at all and that was obviously the problem in the first place.

Don

I am having the same problem, only I think worse. The pin on the left side of my tower comes out non stop. I have to watch it constantly while on the water and also while trailering. On the way home from Texoma today we had to stop 11 times to push the pin back in. I had just picked it up from my dealer last week where I was told they had fixed the problem. I never fold my tower down, so I know its not excessive use. I have a 06 23 LSV Wakesetter. One thing different about mine is the Z-5 bimini sport rack, which was a factory option. Do you have the same top or the regular bimini. My dealer said its possible the weight of the rack might be causing the problem. If you don't have that top I don't think this would be the case. In any event it shouldn't matter. The Z-5 is a factory option so they have to stand behind it. I appreciate any additional info you might have.

Don

I am having the same problem, only I think worse. The pin on the left side of my tower comes out non stop. I have to watch it constantly while on the water and also while trailering. On the way home from Texoma today we had to stop 11 times to push the pin back in. I had just picked it up from my dealer last week where I was told they had fixed the problem. I never fold my tower down, so I know its not excessive use. I have a 06 23 LSV Wakesetter. One thing different about mine is the Z-5 bimini sport rack, which was a factory option. Do you have the same top or the regular bimini. My dealer said its possible the weight of the rack might be causing the problem. If you don't have that top I don't think this would be the case. In any event it shouldn't matter. The Z-5 is a factory option so they have to stand behind it. I appreciate any additional info you might have.

This pin problem is one that has been discussed several times. It should be an easy fix.

Click on this link.

I was having the same problem with the pin falling out. Since the bushing was loose, it would work the pin from the set screw (inside when the tower is folded down). 10 hours of wakeboarding later with the new un-drilled bushings and no problems yet. I would have your dealer get you some new bushings. Make sure they do not drill them out, the fit will be a little tight at first but it still only takes seconds to raise and lower my tower.

Don

Don

I have the z5 and tight pins. Never had to tighten the pins. Sounds like you need new bushings that are not drilled out.

Good luck