Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter

Maddox

Know a guy looking at a late 90'searly 2000 Sunsetter who plans on using it on the Columbia River up here in the NW. Concern over how it handles in rough water, got any thoughts?

Know a guy looking at a late 90'searly 2000 Sunsetter who plans on using it on the Columbia River up here in the NW. Concern over how it handles in rough water, got any thoughts?

Well a tad bit better than yours.......

It's not very good at all. In a calm lake, the boat handles like a dream. Add the smallest of chop and you'll be pounded around pretty good. Throw in some rollers coming across the lake and you'll be pulling the throttle back hard because your boat will sound like it's tearing itself up.

I don't know what the conditions are like in the river you mention, but if rough water handling characteristics are a concern, the Sunsetter may not be the way to go.

I have nothing to compare it to as far as ski boats, but its a hell of a rough ride compared to my last stern drive 20 footer. But lake amistad is a pretty rough lake too!

I had a 1990 Skier. It was like a dream in the calm water, but when you hit some rollers it would pound you to death. Even on its own rollers. I have a 01 Response LX now and the difference is like night and day. I think the Diamond hull and since the cockpit is more to the front of the boat on the newer ones makes a lot of difference.

I had my SLXi out on the Columbia several times this year between I-5 and Washougal before we moved north. You definately have to pick your days - if the east wind is blowing head down to the Willamette or to Lakamas, but there is often really good water on the south side of Government Island and further up towards Troutdale/Camas. Just have to be smart with the throttle if things get rough - we had the wind pick up pretty bad one night getting back to the John's Landing launch and we dropped the wedge and took it easy and we were fine.

Real question is what is your friends intended use for the boat, no DD is going to be comparable to a runabout I/O in rough water, but conversely your going to be hard pressed to get a pull from an I/O that is comprable to a DD.

....and nice Avatar! Yahoo.gif

Edited by JohnnyBlueToes