Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

rack and pinion rattle

desifire911

i have 05 v ride and some time on hard accelleration or pulling a heavy skier i have a horrible rattle under the dash board. i reached down will accellerating and it feels like it's in the rack and pinion sterring box. anybody else expierenced this?

I had a horrible rattle but it turned out just to be the Subwoofer. Biggrin.gif

Sounds like you need to tighten something up in the steering mechanism under the dash. I use to have a problem like that in my last boat. It was an outboard that had a vibration problem in the 2000-2500 RPM range. It got so bad that the steering column nearly pulled out of the dash. I re-installed the steering column using Locktite tread lock and that seemed to solve the steering problem.

I have seen a few times. Most recently my 06 RLXi developed the rattle whenI put a spare SS prop on after picking up a floater in the lake with my original prop. As soon as I got the original prop back the rattle went away. In another case, on an 02 SLXI, the rattle disappeared after a prop change. In both cases the prop in question looked and felt fine, other than VERY minor - almost undetectable - vibration. The only significant symptom was the rattle.

I have the same problem but only when I have the steering wheel turned slightly under a heavy holeshot. I've chaulked it up to being some kind of wierd boat torque steer and don't really pay any attention to it anymore. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I still have the original SS prop on mine..

It happened on my 01 and some of my friends boats as well. I think it happened once on my new ride as well. I asked Malibu about it 4 years ago and was told it was a 'harmonic vibration on the rudder from prop wash that transfers to the rack and pinion.' apparently it is inherent to some more than others whatever that means.

local dealer told me for steering rack rattle to loosen the rack, use the slop in the mounting holes to twist it a little and retigthen

the slight degree of rotation takes up the gap between the pinion and the rack and hence stops the rattle

On my 06 V-Ride there's a small trim rudder build inside of the main rudder. This small rudder was stripped on it's mounting shaft ( tightening the set screws did nothing). Anyway, under hard throttle (starts) I believe this small rudder would pivot or slap back and forth transmitting the noise back up to the steering area. Malibu changed out the whole rudder assembly...

On my 06 V-Ride there's a small trim rudder build inside of the main rudder. This small rudder was stripped on it's mounting shaft ( tightening the set screws did nothing). Anyway, under hard throttle (starts) I believe this small rudder would pivot or slap back and forth transmitting the noise back up to the steering area. Malibu changed out the whole rudder assembly...

Our '06 23 LSV w/ HH does it. I thought it was routine loosening from me "hangin' on". There's bee a time or two where I found myself trying to torq the whole thing outta the dash.... need to mellow out... Anyway I'm gonna try the loosen, twist and retighten approach. I doubt however that will solve that weird steering feeling when coming outta the hole with a big "wide load".

Mine does it also. I still have the orig. Acme prop on mine. Anyone with any suggestion would be welcome. It drives me crazy.

Take your prop to Delta Prop in Cleves, OH and have it reworked. Perhaps a slight cup will change your wash problem.