Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

skiing acceleration, pull forces etc ?

uk_exile

I like wakeboarding too but maybe this would once & for all explain which is 'harder' :lol: Fully expect wakeboard falls accelerate a lot faster than ski falls though Surprised.gif

Ah geesssee... here we go again!

Dude, all the math in the world isin't going to explain a left turn and a right turn. It's obvious to the "non boater" that wakeboarding is the better sport.

Simple test: Allow a "non boater" to watch 5 minutes of a pro level slalom skier and a pro level wakeboarder - see which one holds their interest.

Answer: After 16 seconds of slalom the "non boater" gets the idea. After 5 minutes of wakeboarding the "non boater" has only seen a fraction of the grace, style, and bag of tricks the pro wakeboarder has to offer.

;)

edit: after rereading I noticed you did say harder not better. I'll give you the fact that getting up on a slalom ski is harder but reality is the skier only has to learn 2 things - how to turn left and how to turn right. The rest is rythum, timing, and practice. Wakeboaring has thousands of various inverts, grabs, spins, and combinations of all three. I'll also give you the fact that both take a certian level of dedication to master, most people just get bored to death with slalom that's why you have less pro skiers now that a "better" sport has come along. :)

Your obvious deep feelings of inferiority is what keeps you poking at this. :lol:

cheers guys

4Gs, 4x body weight & about 80kph, that's what I want to know. They are big enough numbers to impress non watersports people

as for which is 'harder' the hardest thing is how hard some people bite at topics like this !

Your obvious deep feelings of inferiority is what keeps you poking at this. :lol:

Tony can't stay away from skier/slacker threads.

Oh, and Jerry, who appointed you as the 'fun police?' Oh, wait, you're on the skier side--I meant to say BRAVO!!!

But do wakeboarders get 16 feet in the air or high enough to actually free fall for 1 second? Probably not. But doubleups, trippleups, and the wake of the new 247 could allow riders to get close! Let's say 10' is reslistic and I truly believe it is. So since acceleration is for the most part linear we can calculate 21.936/16x10= 13.71mph at impact from 10 feet.

Very few boarders are getting 10' of air...a good portion of them can't even clear the other wake.

Yesterday and today I had to wait for an eternity while some d%^%&% drove round and round the lake completely destroying the glass that was there before he took off. The fact that there is more wakeboarding than tournament skiing is that once the lake is shagged, you may as well pull out the square thing because those boat loads of bling have no idea what they are doing to the big picture.

There are a buzzillion places that you can turn up the volume and let the shorts flap - only five sites in NZ where you can slalom, trick & jump at the same place so leave me alone - purleaze!!

You're driving me Crazy.gif

Tony, there was some 'embellishment', there.
Yeah, you're right. I really shouldn't of used Wade Cox's numbers to represent all skiers... Tongue.gif
Frustrated.gifshouldn't have Frustrated.gif

Dang wakeboarders, butchering the English language. Crazy.gif

Biggrin.gif

would be interesting if they had a pull gauge on the rope

anyone got any mega sized fishing scales ?

Edited by uk_exile

I remember reading an article a couple years ago, either on the old site or on WW with a guy who clipped a GPS to his vest to measure his speed. He claimed to get 56 mph on a wakeboard, IRC.

Tony, there was some 'embellishment', there.
Yeah, you're right. I really shouldn't of used Wade Cox's numbers to represent all skiers... Tongue.gif
Frustrated.gifshouldn't have Frustrated.gif

Dang wakeboarders, butchering the English language. Crazy.gif

Biggrin.gif

I live in the USA - I speak American. You want to bust someones chops on how to speak English takea trip acorss the pond.

btw I have a disclaimer try reading it... :lol:

I live in the USA - I speak American. You want to bust someones chops on how to speak English takea trip acorss the pond.

btw I have a disclaimer try reading it... :lol:

Perhaps you should add grammar, syntax, and semantics to your sig. . . Crazy.gif