Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Sale...The Man Speaks!

eubanks

I guess that puts that to bed. Interesting that the Australian factory is mentioned out loud when promoting the brand but, like the MalibuCrew, no mention when the focus narrows.

I guess that puts that to bed. Interesting that the Australian factory is mentioned out loud when promoting the brand but, like the MalibuCrew, no mention when the focus narrows.

What's an australia? That a sandwich?

I feel slighted that he posted it over on WakeWorld rather than here.

I'm not quite sure why you feel slighted, he was reponding to bad info being put out by a guy on another site.

Dontknow.gif

Edited by LS-One

I'm not quite sure why you feel slighted, he was reponding to bad info being put out by a guy on another site.

Dontknow.gif

Which is kinda funny in a way, cause every day people type bad information about the boats but no one from the factory, much less the president, ever comes on these sites to correct them.

I still feel slighted... ;)

Dontknow.gif

Which is kinda funny in a way, cause every day people type bad information about the boats but no one from the factory, much less the president, ever comes on these sites to correct them.

I still feel slighted... ;)

Remember, President or not, he's really just a regular guy like you and me. I'm sure he wasn't thinking about it that deeply for it to occur to him to post it elsewhere. He was responding to bad information to prevent rumors, not making a public announcement on another website and forgetting about TMC.

Don't take what he says too seriously. I'm sure the move was for one or more of the following reasons:

1. Get richer - executive managment, investors, maybe the employees if they're lucky.

2. Grow the company - take market share, enter new markets (lends to #1)

3. Fatten up the company value (lends to #1 if a buyout takes place)

His reference to estate planning could be more of a motivator than one may think. If he's getting up there in age, he may be trying to ensure the longevity of the company after his death (and taking care of his heirs). Businesses such as Malibu, if owned basically by one guy, are virtually assured of failure if estate planning is not done. They'd close down the day after the IRS came and wanted 55% of the value of the company, in cash, right now! (within 90 days if I remember correctly) Not many companies have 55% of their net worth in cash.

His reference to estate planning could be more of a motivator than one may think. If he's getting up there in age, he may be trying to ensure the longevity of the company after his death (and taking care of his heirs). Businesses such as Malibu, if owned basically by one guy, are virtually assured of failure if estate planning is not done. They'd close down the day after the IRS came and wanted 55% of the value of the company, in cash, right now! (within 90 days if I remember correctly) Not many companies have 55% of their net worth in cash.

It's 9 months. But what you said is true. And if 'owned by the employees' could have been pushed by the board - so that at his death the company wouldn't have to be put up for sale, and a fire sale at that, just to pay 'the death tax.'

Interesting that now, Phil Estes of Black Canyon Capital has chimed in too.

Interesting that they both felt it important enough to post on the subject in an forum. Speaks to the power of it all.

I think the post on WW speaks to the breadth of its membership. Not just Malibu enthusiasts, but the entire boarding community. They're looking to pick up a bigger group of buyers - that board gets the word in front of more people and will be spread better there.

Beverly Hills... niiiiice.

Yeah - Kiwi vs Aussie is alive and well and the All Blacks thrashed Australia for the 21st successive time last night to retain the Trans-Tasman Bledisloe Rugby Cup . You beauty!

Yeah - Kiwi vs Aussie is alive and well and the All Blacks thrashed Australia for the 21st successive time last night to retain the Trans-Tasman Bledisloe Rugby Cup . You beauty!

lucky im a victorian and couldnt give two hoots about rugby... Biggrin.gif

You guys were sooooooo lucky this time andyb.... Cry.gif

will this merger affect the aussie part of malibu in any way ??? Dontknow.gif

No changes to the company structure in terms of day to day operations.

Wow, I'm glad to see that Bob made a post on this. I'm sure this was a HUGE decision in his life. And that he felt he owed the boating community a response before the rumors and misinformation piled up to high.

There are a lot of employees shares out there and many of those employees have been with Malibu for 20+ years. I'm sure this buyout will creat some $$ so that some of those employees can now enjoy Malibu's success as well......

No changes to the company structure in terms of day to day operations.

Interesting… but at the end of the day, the ownership and corporate structure of Malibu Boats, has substantially changed.

As Mr Estes’ web site states they work closely with the management to “(i) develop a sound, growth-oriented business plan, (ii) put in place comprehensive financial controls and to ensure accurate, timely financial reporting, (iii) develop and promote a culture of prudent risk-taking by key Company decision-makers and (iv) maximize the value of each investment.

Given the prior structure and culture of Malibu it will be interesting to see how the present management team works within the closely monitored discipline required by Horizon.

Time will show whether Bob Alkema is comfortable going from “Big Dog” to “Little Poodle”.

Standard boilerplate for any private equity investor. Doesn't mean the product or customer service will change.

Many were hoping that the product and customer service might change due to this... clearly do not want them to continue were they've headed over the last 2 years.

http://www.jdpower.com/boats/ratings/index.asp?v1=6

Do a search on here about what people think of the jd power surveys and how they get their info and come to their conclusions. As a Malibu owner for over 11 years, I can tell you that the quality of the product and the customer service are top notch. Funny, I never got a survey from jd power.

clearly do not want them to continue were they've headed over the last 2 years.

Better power, performance, handling. . .Higher quality materials, more comfortable interior. . .More features, innovations, options. . .

Clearly, MC & CC do not want them to continue were (sic) they've headed over the last 2 years. . .

In this market anyone can buy... erm... receive an award....

In reality none these awards (JD, Boat of the year, etc.) are worth the paper they're printed on.

Edited by DRAGON88