Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakemakers Auto-vent option

pauley71

I installed the wakemakers flapper type check valves in my plug and play and I don't have this problem. Bags release air as they fill like they should and I don't have to manually burp them or mess with them at all.

• Like 1

I just came across this thread.  I have a lot of the same issues - lots of air left in the bags with the auto vent kit and this season getting the auto bilge warning - like others, I got zero water in the bilge last season and never recall auto bilge coming on.  Maybe I need to uninstall the auto vent kit as well and try those other valves. Ugh, I hate the thought of tracking down leaking fittings now though.   

• 1 month later...

These are what the valves look like. You will never again have to burp the bags. Just screw them into the top. The air bleeds out while the water flows in, but when the bag fills it closes the stopper and then the water will flow out the side escape hole. It couldn't be easier. 

IMG_8555.JPG

On 6/13/2017 at 10:33 AM, Dfowkes said:

Mikeo and Granddaddy55 told me about kinetic vacuum relief valves found on Amazon and the web.  Get the 1 inch and connect them to the top of your PnP Bags.  These valves allow the air to escape but then when the bags fill up a stopper closes the vent hole.  Problem solved with these valves.  

https://www.amazon.com/Kinetic-Vent-Vacuum-Relief-Valve/dp/B00TB7FOB8

https://www.dripdepot.com/search?q=Kinetic vent

tighten the green top, use your o-ring from your sac plug on top vent hole not being used for fill and screw in real snug, if you keep running pump sometimes they dribble, 

interesting, what thread size for fly high sacs?

I worked with WakeMakers on my auto vent kit.  They swapped out the check valves that came with the kit with these  https://www.wakemakers.com/marine-check-valve.html and everything works as expected now.  No more issues.   If you still have the original check valves that came with the kit you might check with them on changing them out. 

I gave Wakemakers several opportunities to help me out with my auto vent system. I even suggested what I believed was causing the problem in the hopes that they would agree and just offer to swap the part out. They were less than helpful each time. On my third and final call I told them that I was going to send them back. They sent me a return form and wanted me to pay the return shipping. They ended up paying the return shipping after yet another call. 

Let's face it, burping bags isn't that big of a deal.

12 minutes ago, Simo said:

I gave Wakemakers several opportunities to help me out with my auto vent system. I even suggested what I believed was causing the problem in the hopes that they would agree and just offer to swap the part out. They were less than helpful each time. On my third and final call I told them that I was going to send them back. They sent me a return form and wanted me to pay the return shipping. They ended up paying the return shipping after yet another call. 

Let's face it, burping bags isn't that big of a deal.

Burping is easy, but counterpoint is it is so easy that these boats should be set up to not have to.    I loved the idea of auto-vent and hate asking folks to move so I can check on bags while they are getting ready to start their set.  So much easier to just fill and go, even though autovent doesn't work as advertised.    

20 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Burping is easy, but counterpoint is it is so easy that these boats should be set up to not have to.    I loved the idea of auto-vent and hate asking folks to move so I can check on bags while they are getting ready to start their set.  So much easier to just fill and go, even though autovent doesn't work as advertised.    

I chose to just do it the way I did it on my '01 VLX.  I installed a normally closed electric solenoid valve.  Now when the "fill" pump is on the valve is opened, and the air and water escape via the over-flow thru-hull via that valve.  When draining that valve holds a vacuum on the bag.  About the only maintenance needed is every couple years (or as needed) I open up the valve and clean up the sludge and stuff that builds up on the seal from algae and what not.

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

I agree, which is why I originally bought the auto vent system. I wasn't thrilled with the price ( about $130 if I remember correctly ) but it seemed like a pretty simple install and the original reviews were that it worked great.

On 9/9/2017 at 10:57 PM, Dfowkes said:

These are what the valves look like. You will never again have to burp the bags. Just screw them into the top. The air bleeds out while the water flows in, but when the bag fills it closes the stopper and then the water will flow out the side escape hole. It couldn't be easier. 

IMG_8555.JPG

I bought one of these after seeing it on this thread. Works great for me. Little hard to find one for a 3/4in threads but i did, have yet to buy that one. 

• 1 month later...

I just got a note that Wakemakers is sending me "updated kits".  I worked with them a little and explained the issue and they are just getting around to fixing it?  I was about to remove them and toss them, but I'll try them out.

I'm confused.  I connected the vent from my tank to the vent from my bag.  Once everything is full I get a bit of water out of the vent.  Why doesn't this work for others?  What precipitated the need for these systems?

The top of the bag fills with air.  Without a place for the air to go ... you can't fill the bags all the way.  Malibu didn't have a vent for the bag in 2016.  This is just to add what Malibu added at the factory in 2017.  You could always burp them by hand but this was to avoid that hassle.

I assume you have two ports on the top of the bags.  Why not just connect the the second port on the top of the bag with the vent line from the tank via standard ballast tubing?  I'm clearly missing some problem that others are encountering.

Edit- Is the top of your bag higher than the vent outlet?  I don't doubt there is a problem - just want to understand it.

Edited by onwi
11 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I just got a note that Wakemakers is sending me "updated kits".  I worked with them a little and explained the issue and they are just getting around to fixing it?  I was about to remove them and toss them, but I'll try them out.

I think you are getting an updated kit with valves that require less pressure to release.  I replaced my valvues with some they provided as stated above (https://www.wakemakers.com/marine-check-valve.html )on their dime and they worked great after that.  I did email back and forth and the resolution was these valvues or a return for a refund.  I am happy now.

Nice to see they are being proactive and contacting others to resolve this issue for everyone.  Maybe you will not even have to  cut yours up to swap the valves the like I did and you get a new kit.  I think the valves are the most expensive part and the rest is clips, tubing and shrink tubing to make it clean.

Edited by store934
  • 2 months later...

Sorry if this question has been covered......    How long does the piggy back system take to fill and drain (and what bag size)?

My middle MLS tank takes the longest, does this system take longer, same or shorter than the stock middle tank?

Thanks.

Fill times aren't really impacted by this system, as it just vents the bags automatically (or at least is supposed to).   That being said, if you are running PNP in the rear, it should take longer to fill than you middle tank.   

6 hours ago, goodmatt78 said:

How long does the piggy back system take to fill and drain (and what bag size)?

This depends on the estimated capacity of the sacs, and there seems to be a few different popular sizes used. Next, add the sac capacity to the tank capacity. No take the stated GPH flow rate of the pump and subtract 25% to get a real world flow rate. Divide that GPH by 60 to get GPM. Now divide the total capacity by the real word GPM flow rate to obtain the approximate  fill or drain time. 

example: 250 tank 550 sac = 97 gallons. 1000 GPH pump = 12.5 GPM = about 8 minutes to fill or drain.  

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2017 at 9:33 AM, Dfowkes said:

Mikeo and Granddaddy55 told me about kinetic vacuum relief valves found on Amazon and the web.  Get the 1 inch and connect them to the top of your PnP Bags.  These valves allow the air to escape but then when the bags fill up a stopper closes the vent hole.  Problem solved with these valves.  

https://www.amazon.com/Kinetic-Vent-Vacuum-Relief-Valve/dp/B00TB7FOB8

https://www.dripdepot.com/search?q=Kinetic vent

tighten the green top, use your o-ring from your sac plug on top vent hole not being used for fill and screw in real snug, if you keep running pump sometimes they dribble, 

Sorry for my ignorance, but I just came across this post.  I just bought a used 2014 Axis A24 with the factory PNP ballast bags already installed.  But the previous owner was telling me how he would have to manually burp the air out of the bags each time he filled.  I would like to order 3 of these valves- one for each of the rear bags and one for the front u-shaped bag.  Does anyone know if the factory Axis PNP bags for 2014 are 1" fittings? I seem to recall reading that I have 1 1/8" ballast hoses, but not sure if the bag fittings are also 1 1/8" MPT fittings or not. 

Edited by atropine
clarification