Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakemakers Auto-vent option

pauley71

ahopkins22LSV

@pauley71 did you get a chance to try the updated kit? I forgot to add this to our order and it’s locked in. Malibu had a huge boat show season and unlocking our order could result in a delay so I was going to get this kit but now I’m not so sure about it. 

ahopkins22LSV
21 minutes ago, Monkeybutt said:

I ordered the kit last year and never used it - too much of a hassle - the kinetic valves are way easier

I have those saved in my amazon cart so will probably go that route anyway. Not sure what bags I am going to go with yet so will order them when we figure that out. Just curious if WM fixed the issue because when I talked to them on the phone this week they said “it will work just as good or better” than the Malibu OEM Autovent. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

Only problem with the auto vents is if you leave the pump running. Could get a bit wet....

I sometimes adjust the ballast when  underway and have been told more than once by the surfer that there was water squirting out the vent :oops:

22 hours ago, atropine said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but I just came across this post.  I just bought a used 2014 Axis A24 with the factory PNP ballast bags already installed.  But the previous owner was telling me how he would have to manually burp the air out of the bags each time he filled.  I would like to order 3 of these valves- one for each of the rear bags and one for the front u-shaped bag.  Does anyone know if the factory Axis PNP bags for 2014 are 1" fittings? I seem to recall reading that I have 1 1/8" ballast hoses, but not sure if the bag fittings are also 1 1/8" MPT fittings or not. 

I just got home from work and looked in my boat..... turns out I have Fly High sacs. So most likely 3/4” threads.  But no available vent plug in the front sac, and the ones in the rear sac are really pretty close to the overflow hoses so I am just gonna try it out as is first and see if I really need them

3 hours ago, teamerickson said:

The front bag doesn’t have a vent? My 2014 T22 did. It incorporated with the hard tank vent. 

No- I couldn’t find one anyway.  But it has an overflow hose on top right at the farthest point forward.

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, atropine said:

I just got home from work and looked in my boat..... turns out I have Fly High sacs. So most likely 3/4” threads.  But no available vent plug in the front sac, and the ones in the rear sac are really pretty close to the overflow hoses so I am just gonna try it out as is first and see if I really need them

Won’t these work?

Kinetic 3/4" MPT Air Vent Vacuum Relief Valve w/ Protected Outlet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00THEJLB4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vFcWAb31CE97A

Yes, those look like they will most likely work.  I may order 1 for each of the rear bags, but I was just commenting above that my bow bag doesn’t have an air vent purge valve.  I will be getting the boat in the water for the first time sometime soon and will figure it out.  

On 3/30/2018 at 5:22 PM, ahopkinsTXi said:

@pauley71 did you get a chance to try the updated kit? I forgot to add this to our order and it’s locked in. Malibu had a huge boat show season and unlocking our order could result in a delay so I was going to get this kit but now I’m not so sure about it. 

I never tried the updated kit.  My kit had the old valves that were just to strong to be tripped by the impeller style pumps.  The new one should be fine and I would definitely recommend NOT reopening you order.  I found out first hand and now I'm waiting ... first time I've been boatless in nearly 20 years  :(  Should be in by the first week of May but our water temps are ready now.

I thought auto-vent was standard?  I guess I didn't order it either  :(  

ahopkins22LSV
6 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

I never tried the updated kit.  My kit had the old valves that were just to strong to be tripped by the impeller style pumps.  The new one should be fine and I would definitely recommend NOT reopening you order.  I found out first hand and now I'm waiting ... first time I've been boatless in nearly 20 years  :(  Should be in by the first week of May but our water temps are ready now.

I thought auto-vent was standard?  I guess I didn't order it either  :(  

I thought so too but I was reviewing my order and it doesn’t say it. Then I was browsing VTX’s just to see some pictures of specific options and I ran across a few 2018 VTX’s listed on OIB that show the build sheet and it’s stated. It’s not the end of the world. Maybe I’ll still try the WM kit to provide some resolution here. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

After reading this post, I contacted Wake Makers in February this year to order their auto vent system.  While I don't have a picture of what I actually received, the picture below is from the manual that came with the shipment.  Can anyone confirm by looking at this picture if I received the "new and improved' check valves or if they shipped the older ones that everyone is having so many issues with?  

image.thumb.png.ca6d3900db831c1860b1241811ae93ba.png

Following.....I have one of the original test kits, so know I"m on the old valves.  

I"m being lazy.  Anyone got a link to the newer valves?   Maybe I'll pick them up and swap them out.  

21 hours ago, thealy said:

After reading this post, I contacted Wake Makers in February this year to order their auto vent system.  While I don't have a picture of what I actually received, the picture below is from the manual that came with the shipment.  Can anyone confirm by looking at this picture if I received the "new and improved' check valves or if they shipped the older ones that everyone is having so many issues with?  

After contacting Wake Makers, the picture in their install guide is indeed of the old valve, however the valve they sent me was the new and improved model ( https://www.wakemakers.com/marine-check-valve.html ).  I will report back on my experience it if it ever warms up in MN.

27 minutes ago, thealy said:

After contacting Wake Makers, the picture in their install guide is indeed of the old valve, however the valve they sent me was the new and improved model ( https://www.wakemakers.com/marine-check-valve.html ).  I will report back on my experience it if it ever warms up in MN.

Those work very well.  I have 3 of them.  Flat sacks when draining and very little forward flow resistance when venting.  Why they don't have barbed ends escapes me though.  I use a wet vac to get all the water out of them in the Fall.

Just received my wakemakers order. Here is the newest check valve they’re carrying. Everyone that had issues with the old autovent kit, swapping this might be worth a shot. 

39448742520_b39200c23f_b.jpg

Edited by Rceider
16 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Anyone got a part number yet on that new valve?  

Not sure how new it is.  Looks just like the one I got from Wakemakers 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

Not sure how new it is.  Looks just like the one I got from Wakemakers 2 years ago.

Sorry not sure when they changed.  

Kinetic vents are so simple , ridiculously cheap,  snd with our brack water I don’t let water sit even week to week cause of our algae and our moist climate, water in any sac creates sac sweating on outside creating mold in week if you let bag lay flat.  that’s my easy screw out access point for my wet vac

even if I wanted the kits installed this $8-15 on Amazon item will get you by until you do your install 

And I use an not elegant flip plug outside my boat as my check valve

Edited by granddaddy55
On 4/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, minnmarker said:

yep, they've been selling these for a long time, so it's a little strange that they would use a different product no their vent kits. My guess is the other ones are cheaper for them.

Edited by boardjnky4
On 9/11/2017 at 11:41 AM, Slurpee said:

I chose to just do it the way I did it on my '01 VLX.  I installed a normally closed electric solenoid valve.  Now when the "fill" pump is on the valve is opened, and the air and water escape via the over-flow thru-hull via that valve.  When draining that valve holds a vacuum on the bag.  About the only maintenance needed is every couple years (or as needed) I open up the valve and clean up the sludge and stuff that builds up on the seal from algae and what not.

that is a really good idea. I sometimes forget to turn off the fill and this will allow water to exhaust out of the boat without putting pressure on the bags.