Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Timer

Adam

I'm new to this stuff, I've been in boats, but spent a lot of time on lake mosquitos (personal water crafts) anyways, I'd like to try getting behind a boat now.. I've been wanting to wakeskate, but I've never even wakeboarded. Im assuming it will be more difficult, since you have no bindings to hold you on the board, Any input?? Should I just jump into wakeskate (that seems to interest me more than boarding)... or should I learn to board first. Help me decide my first way to eat water (because im sure ill eat it, not drink it... haha) Thanks guys!!

Edited by Adam
I'm new to this stuff, I've been in boats, but spent a lot of time on lake mosquitos (personal water crafts) anyways, I'd like to try getting behind a boat now.. I've been wanting to wakeskate, but I've never even wakeboarded. Im assuming it will be more difficult, since you have no bindings to hold you on the board, Any input?? Should I just jump into wakeskate (that seems to interest me more than boarding)... or should I learn to board first. Help me decide my first way to eat water (because im sure ill eat it, not drink it... haha) Thanks guys!!

I would learn wakeboarding first, get proficient and they try wake skating.

BTW, being from Merced, you should check out the central cali crew under the crew on the water secion of the site here. We've got a big group and a two of us have houseboats on McClure, me being one of them Biggrin.gif

Start with boarding and learn the fundamentals then, go whichever route you choose, as long as it's not skiing.
:lol: You are relentless. :lol: ....( :biteme: ).

Adam - If you're very proficient on a skateboard then I'd say that you could skip the wakeboard and go straight to the skate. Wakeskating is definitely more difficult than boarding, particularly the jumps. Crazy.gif Jumping is all about the ollie. If you're not a skateboarder then you should probably wakeboard first to get the feel of being pulled before you mix-in the whole "not attached to the board" thing. Biggrin.gif

Hope that helps...oh, and Welcome.gif to the site. Getting a Malibu? Biggrin.gif

defenatly go ahead and jump right into wakeskateing

i have several friends that dont have wakeboard boats so they wakeskate and have never wakeboarded in thier lives they do great now

when you fall it dosnt heart as much

Thanks for the input guys!!

I would like to get a Malibu... but i dont think im in the clear for one yet... MAN I WOULD DIE FOR A SILVER RESPONSE or SILVER VLX =)

I wanna go wakeskate due to i have jet ski's =) lol...

P.S. I think im gonna be hurting... i dont skate or anything.. this is the first EVER for any kind of extreme sport.. lol.. im a loser.

If you know you want to wakeskate, buy a wakeskate and start with that. If you pick it up easily than there's no need to invest in a wakeboard. A decent wakeboard with bindings is not cheap. I would say don't invest the money into something you really don't have an interest in at this time. If you have trouble or decide you want to wakeboard, try borrowing one or picking up a used board to see how you do. Some dealers will also let you demo equipment before buying.

You'll be fine. It's completely possible to just go out and start skating.

but... I'd highly recommend you (or anyone pondering this question) to learn on a wakeboard. Starting on a wakeboard will shorten the learning curve by a lot! I've seen people on wakeboards jumping the wake in a very short period of time. Try doing a W2W on a skate when you don't even understand the concept of progressive cut and pop!

Just saying, go out and enjoy the skate, they are a lot of fun and you already have one. If you get a chance to spend some time strapped on give it a go, it will help you a lot with the skate! Oh, and while you are spending go pick up a skateboard - the one with wheels - the falls will remove more skin but it will really help you get used to standing over the top of a board.

welcome to the site and enjoy!

wake boarding is easier for the beginner as far as learning to get up. but as soon as you learn that on a board start wakeskating also it will help you progress faster on the wakeboard by teaching you better edging. either way have fun

wake boarding is easier for the beginner as far as learning to get up. but as soon as you learn that on a board start wakeskating also it will help you progress faster on the wakeboard by teaching you better edging. either way have fun

Go to your local retailer and see if they have a demo program. Out here the Malibu dealer has a demo / rental program that costs a few bucks and the fees are credited to whatever you decide to purchase. It is a great wat to decide what you want to do before you invest much money. That said, if they can't help you I would suggest that you wakeboard first regardless the size of the wake. You can still get the feel for the water and you won't get as frustrated when you are starting out....

hahaha, thanks for the input.. i should have done what you guys suggested, but my board just came in. Wakeskate it is... if i dont make it out ok, you guys can all share my board.. haha =)

if you get a helmet dont get an Ace

i have a pointless and switched the padding around so that it faces backwords

alright, just became a supporter, where is my free sticker?? =)
:lol: Might need to extend that patience just a bit. :lol: Wakegirl just had surgery, if she gets it out within the next few weeks you should feel lucky. :)

Oh, and good for you for supporting the site. Thumbup.gif

Keep after that wakeskate...you'll get it. My boy (13 y.o.) just learned to ollie ours this past week-end. :)

Edited by NorCaliBu
alright, just became a supporter, where is my free sticker?? =)
:lol: Might need to extend that patience just a bit. :lol: Wakegirl just had surgery, if she gets it out within the next few weeks you should feel lucky. :)

Oh, and good for you for supporting the site. Thumbup.gif

Keep after that wakeskate...you'll get it. My boy (13 y.o.) just learned to ollie ours this past week-end. :)

Ohh really?? Sorry to hear that about wakegirl..im fairly new to the site, so havent followed up on news.. =\ Im just anxious for my sticker, my board looks naked without it!! Cry.gif haha..

well, ill wait as long as i have to, so long as i know it will show up someday! Yahoo.gif hahah.. thanks for the support too! I appreciate it, its nice to be part of this site... knowing we all share the passion for malibu. If i had the extra cash id be a crew chief.. but a supporter is fine for now.. Tongue.gif