Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Sirius XM

Wake1977

I currently have a 2015 LSV and would like to add Sirius XM radio to it, can anyone tell me where I will need to plug in the XM Tuner?  I cant seem to find where the head unit would be, maybe behind the glove box ???  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  THX Wake

if the 2015 is like my 2012  the sirius scc1 box plugged into the stereo brain box in the compartment behind spotter seat.  Mounted to board on side of boat

Edited by oldjeep
3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

if the 2015 is like my 2012  the sirius scc1 box plugged into the stereo brain box in the compartment behind spotter seat.  Mounted to board on side of boat

Yup, it's the black box on the stereo board behind the observer's seat. The cable end that you need to plug the receiver in to will be tucked in the carpet going through the board so it's hidden. Get the owner's manual here:  https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20150319130500/Manuals/575/575X6000SX.PDF

Look at "P3" to see which cable you're looking for. hint: it's in the right side bundle.

Does anyone know if the 17s are plug and play from the black box to the tuner for satellite radio (SXV-300)? Someone thought I needed an adapter that connects between the tuner lead and the lead from the black box?

2017 media source unit by Medallion. Theres an installation diagram floating around in a couple of threads here on TMC, but dont know if ive seen a complete installation manual

1 hour ago, teamerickson said:

Does anyone know if the 17s are plug and play from the black box to the tuner for satellite radio (SXV-300)? Someone thought I needed an adapter that connects between the tuner lead and the lead from the black box?

No adapter.   Plugs right to the lead from the medallion unit. 

• Like 1

No offense intended but why would you buy service that only works in the boat when you can buy Spotify for nearly the same amount and use it everywhere?  I compared Sirius to Spotify in my GMC Sierra and the sound quality isn't even close.  Just asking .. not trying to throw gas on a fire.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

No offense intended but why would you buy service that only works in the boat when you can buy Spotify for nearly the same amount and use it everywhere?  I compared Sirius to Spotify in my GMC Sierra and the sound quality isn't even close.  Just asking .. not trying to throw gas on a fire.

Because you don't need phone service to make Sirius work and if you already have multiple lines of Sirius then adding it to the boat is $10 a month.

5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Because you don't need phone service to make Sirius work and if you already have multiple lines of Sirius then adding it to the boat is $10 a month.

Or $30.53 (including taxes and fees) for 5 months if you take their introductory/re-up program every May - Sept.  that's $6.11/month.  If the weather is nice add October for $19.

Phone data really isn't an option for us since most of our lake has spotty cellular data service - which goes to awful on holiday weekends when there are hundreds of social media crazy kids around the lake.

11 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Or $30.53 (including taxes and fees) for 5 months if you take their introductory/re-up program every May - Sept.  that's $6.11/month.  If the weather is nice add October for $19.

Phone data really isn't an option for us since most of our lake has spotty cellular data service - which goes to awful on holiday weekends when there are hundreds of social media crazy kids around the lake.

I just turn it on and off in the summer for the boat. So it runs about $60 a year.  Cheapest expense of the year in the boat ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up, Spotify allows you to create playlists and download them to play offline...no cell service needed once you get to the lake. There are thousands of pre-made playlists on Spotify that you can follow and download as well. 

But I understand the Sirius XM angle too, its nice not having to DJ sometimes.

• Like 1
On 6/10/2017 at 11:22 AM, teamerickson said:

Having a little trouble. I added a tuner and antenna, but I'm not getting any sound? Not even the preview channel. The dash is displaying the radio ID. 

I figured out my issues. User error! I ever so slightly cut the antenna wire during install. :(

On 6/29/2017 at 1:26 PM, Wake1977 said:

After reading all of the threads it seems there may be a special tuner that I may need.  Can anyone tell me before I order this if it will work?

https://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXV300v1-Connect-Vehicle-Satellite/dp/B00NJTO4CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498760534&sr=8-1&keywords=siriusxm+sxv300v1+tuner

That tuner was PNP on my 2017 T23 with the Medalion black box. Best Buy had it in stock for about the same price also. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 7/24/2017 at 10:54 AM, Wake1977 said:

Hey Wake1977,

Did you have to use the antenna that came with the Sirius XM tuner?  If so, any recommendation on where to install it?

I recently purchased a 2015 23LSV and want to add the tuner.  My boat has a black plastic item in front of the window in the driver's side.  I'm hoping that it is a XM antenna pre-installed, but it's probably wishful thinking!

I put the XM antenna (that came with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I2VQEZO/)  under the fiberglass as far forward as I could get it up to the right of the helm.  Key is that Fiberglass does not disturb the signal but the aluminum frame of the windshield does - so get it as far out from under the windshield as possible.  No problem with reception.  It's right next to the perfect pass Stargazer GPS antenna which also works.  Used the grey 3M double sided tape.  Make sure the side that supposed to face the sky faces up.

We use the same radio on shore so only pay for one subscription.

• Like 2