Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rotella T4 15w40 no good no mo?

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Well, well, well.  I just heard an ad on the radio for Shell Rotella formulated for gasoline engines. 

My guess is that they saw a big drop in sales and investigated the cause, only to find that they shot their own feet by making it a diesel only oil. 

Funny thing is that the t6 5w40 seems to be the favored motorcycle wet clutch oil on a lot of the forums.  It is what my fz1 came with, just switched the new bike over from the royal purple that the PO used(I'm not paying what that stuff costs) 

Happen to catch what the new stuff was called? 

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older thread, but when I search Rotella t4 on here this was the first thread, so I figured my post would do best here.

It looks like there has been absolutely no change to Rotella T4 and the only change is they decided to stop using the SN compliant badge on their oils out of fear of the stringent emissions standards on the newest cars. The only part they are worried about is the higher Phosphorous content, which is usually good for engine wear, but is bad for newer catalectic converters. Here is Shell's message:

Previously, heavy duty engine oil marketers could claim an API gasoline performance standard on their products if they met CJ-4 and the required performance tests for gasoline standards. Additionally, a waiver was granted for claims of API gasoline performance in cases where products did not meet the chemical restrictions for gasoline specifications (specifically phosphorous limits required for SN). The recommended viscosity grades for modern gasoline engines are XW-20s and XW-30s. As such, this waiver process is being phased out. Heavy duty engine oils which are XW-30s (and which claim API CK-4 approval) cannot also claim API gasoline standards unless they meet the current phosphorous requirements/limits. The new fully synthetic Shell ROTELLA® T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 is one such product that meets the performance requirements of API CK-4 as well as API SN and is formulated with 800 parts per million of phosphorous, which meets the API SN requirements. While the industry waiver is still currently in existence for heavy duty engine oils that are XW-40’s, this remains in discussion to be addressed by the API in the near future. However, the Shell ROTELLA® brand has made the decision to remove API SN claims, regardless of viscosity, from our other products which do not meet the preferred low-phosphorous chemistry for gasoline engines. It is important to note that there is no change in formulation associated with this change. It simply means that Shell ROTELLA® products will no longer claim formal API SN approval for products other than our fully synthetic Shell ROTELLA® T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 on labels, technical data sheets, rotella.com and marketing materials moving forward. - The Shell Rotella Team

Here is the thread I saw this from:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/rotella-no-longer-gas-engine-rated.273637/

I'm sure it is still  just fine.  I switched to delo in the boat a couple years ago because it is the same price and carries the S? Designation.

Edited by oldjeep
  • 3 months later...
On 5/28/2021 at 9:22 AM, timelinex said:

I know this is an older thread, but when I search Rotella t4 on here this was the first thread, so I figured my post would do best here.

It looks like there has been absolutely no change to Rotella T4 and the only change is they decided to stop using the SN compliant badge on their oils out of fear of the stringent emissions standards on the newest cars. The only part they are worried about is the higher Phosphorous content, which is usually good for engine wear, but is bad for newer catalectic converters. Here is Shell's message:

Here is the thread I saw this from:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/rotella-no-longer-gas-engine-rated.273637/

This is correct. In the past Rotella T4 DID meet API-SL, and then API-SM... But when API-SN was introduced, T4 did not meet the new lower zinc/phosphorous content requirements.

The manual for my 2014 409 Monsoon (GM 6.0L L96) states "If marine oil is not available, any appropriate viscosity motor oil meeting the API ratings of SL, CI-4 is acceptable", so Looks like I'm fine with running Rotella T4.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but when I was oil shopping the other day I noticed that Rotella T4 has gas rating on it again - says API SP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 3:01 PM, SkiPablo said:

I know this is an old thread, but when I was oil shopping the other day I noticed that Rotella T4 has gas rating on it again - says API SP.

Interesting, I wonder if the t6 also does.

On 1/15/2024 at 8:27 AM, oldjeep said:

Interesting, I wonder if the t6 also does.

i saw SN on T6 at one of the Walmart's by my house - the other Walmart didn't have it listed - i'm guessing the later is old stock.    The SN is not in the donut but at the end of the list