Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rotella T4 15w40 no good no mo?

6 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Interesting.

So now I am going to ask a stupid question to those who know more than me... Is that what the rating is for that the new Rotella doesn't have?

API SN Engine Oil Category

In 2010 the American Petroleum Institute introduced a new engine oil category under the name API SN and a new supplemental category called Resource Conserving.

The API SN category is an improvement over the API SM category in the following areas:

• High temperature deposit protection for pistons
  • Better sludge control
  • Better seal compatibility
  • Aftertreatment compatibility
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Interesting.

So now I am going to ask a stupid question to those who know more than me... Is that what the rating is for that the new Rotella doesn't have?

http://www.apicj-4.org/2009_engine_oil_guide.pdf

Potentially .  The SM designation has deposit prevention as one of its features

• Like 1

FWIW, the Delo gallons are still about 12.50 on amazon and the quarts are about $3.50 at Walmart.com   Kind of a pain to have to buy it 2 different places but I don't like to have partial gallons sitting around for a year.

ryhngzn1i9vm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/17/2017 at 9:29 AM, wakedncsu said:

cam phaser sensor error.

On 8/17/2017 at 10:37 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

The is strange, and, interesting. I am not a mechanic, but I don't understand how oil could cause a code to be thrown like that unless it was complete loss of oil pressure. But I would think the tech would have been more familiar with that code.

On 8/17/2017 at 10:53 AM, wakedncsu said:

PCM said there could have been debris in the oil that affected the sensor negatively.

I know this is old, but I came here to read up on which oil to use. DELO 15w40 on amazon 11.87 right now per gallon. Hard to beat that, if that is what people are now using. 
Or is everyone still trusting Rotella T4? 

To answer these questions however. The cam phaser works in conjunction with a solenoid. The solenoid works on PWM, Pulse width modulation. Meaning, the solenoid can only be turned on or off. There is no in-between. So to get the "in between" the computer is sending voltage to the solenoid at a high rate of ON/OFF commands.  As you can tell, this can then vary the amount of oil passing though the solenoid and advancing or retarding the camshaft. The oil viscosity if of utmost importance on this because the motor lookup chart is based on RPM, loading, throttle position and engine temp. Since the oil changes viscosity at various engine temps, it depends on the correct oil being used to control the cam timing.
So what happens is, the computer sends a command to the solenoid, lets say the solenoid moves, but not in time, there's a counter that's looking at the amount of time the cam/crank difference is off. If it reaches that pre determined number it'll throw a code and go into limp mode. Whichever that might be. On my Jeep is was, no 5th or OD. RPM limited to 3500. 
You can imagine that can happen very quickly on a rotating engine. 

That all being said, I'd be very surprised the SN designation had anything to do with the cam timing. 

But I've been wrong before. 

Edited by Ryan1776
38 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Yes, that has SN rating which is what you want.

Good deal. Posted in "Deal Street"
I'm sorta surprised more people don't use full synthetic? 

Looks like only 5 quarts for a 2010 350 monsoon? Plus a bit for oil filter. 

25 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

same stuff i've been using and same Amazon supplier

Good deal. Thank you. Week out. Not terrible. Just walked into Walmart. In stock. Same price. 

3 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

I'm sorta surprised more people don't use full synthetic?

If I bought a new boat with the higher technology engines I definitely would, but with my older boat I change oil every 50 hours.  I don't see the benefit to synthetic at that interval.  Having said that I definitely use synthetic fluid in the trans and v-drive.  In my vehicles I always use synthetic due to the extended change period, but I never abuse it.  I tend to "clock out" (annual change) instead of "mileage out."

15 minutes ago, formulaben said:

If I bought a new boat with the higher technology engines I definitely would, but with my older boat I change oil every 50 hours.  I don't see the benefit to synthetic at that interval.  Having said that I definitely use synthetic fluid in the trans and v-drive.  In my vehicles I always use synthetic due to the extended change period, but I never abuse it.  I tend to "clock out" (annual change) instead of "mileage out."

Yeah that's fair. 
But, a loaded boat will see significantly higher engine loads than a car EVER WILL. (Ever- meaning normal ops) 

The thing our boats have going for them is the unlimited amount of cooling water. But I would bet that has a higher effect on detonation and intake temps vs crank journal surface stress. :shocked:
The other pro for our boats is fresh air. No dust or road debris to dirty the engine oil. That certainly helps the oils ability or lack there of to suspend particulate in the oil. 

I use my Jeeps on board computer for oil change. It's pretty darn close to every 5k. Wouldn't go a year that's for sure. 

Edited by Ryan1776
1 minute ago, Ryan1776 said:

I use my Jeeps on board computer for oil change. It's pretty darn close to every 5k. Wouldn't go a year that's for sure. 

Yeah, I rarely get over 5K annually, but when I do it's time to change otherwise it's same month the following year.

Just now, formulaben said:

Yeah, I rarely get over 5K annually, but when I do it's time to change otherwise it's same month the following year.

oh! gotchya. Yeah I wouldn't either if that's all it's driven! 

I still use Rotella Syn Blend in everything....jetski, Pontoon, 340 Monsoon, motorcycles, mowers, snowblower and anything else that takes a 40W...etc  1 oil fits all is great!

Somewhere I read, they just aren't paying for the same designation as before....but same stuff.   Then again, I have NEVER heard of an engine failure from any specific oil brand/type.

With the price of Mobil One at Walmart, I just run that.  $22/gallon for a synthetic 10W40.  I always Amazon a K&N oil filter (I am running a remote filter setup using a much larger than stock filter, so the price markup isn't isn't insane with the K&N for this filter at least).  

• 3 months later...

Well, well, well.  I just heard an ad on the radio for Shell Rotella formulated for gasoline engines. 

My guess is that they saw a big drop in sales and investigated the cause, only to find that they shot their own feet by making it a diesel only oil.