Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rotella T4 15w40 no good no mo?

So this came up on my other waterski forum.  Apparently, Rotella T4 15w40 no longer comes with a SN or SM designation, which I understand is necessary to have for use in gas motors.  So, I have understood from the other thread that it is not desired for use in our boats.  Mine is a 1998 Response with the Monsoon.  

Which is a bummer, because I just completed my first oil change on my own with that same oil last weekend.  Guess I have to do a do over.  

Anyone have any info on this?  I know @oldjeep posted on it in the other forum, but thought I would try to get a ruling or some info from the 'Bu folks over here.  

My understanding, and take this with a grain of salt because I can't cite a reliable source, is that the SN standard has an 800 ppm phosphorus limit which Rotella has always been above. Apparently SM cannot be certified now that SN is released.

Net, Rotella hasn't changed much, but the certifications have.

• Like 1

Shell is also creating some issues with its data sheets. T6, which is the synthetic with lower winter viscosity, does not have the gas SN or SM rating on the bottle. I know this because I just purchased three gallon bottles. However, check out this data sheet from Shell's website:

http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/f43921f8-8e28-49d7-9022-09d19fffe655.pdf

So bottom line, no need to re-do my just completed oil change with Rotella.  But I can then choose Delo or something like that next time.  Correct?

4 minutes ago, leje0306 said:

Shell is also creating some issues with its data sheets. T6, which is the synthetic with lower winter viscosity, does not have the gas SN or SM rating on the bottle. I know this because I just purchased three gallon bottles. However, check out this data sheet from Shell's website:

http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/f43921f8-8e28-49d7-9022-09d19fffe655.pdf

A lot of the VW TDI folks like to use Rotella.  I have chosen to use LiquiMoly, which meets the specs for my BHW style (old Passat/Audi) standards

6 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

So bottom line, no need to re-do my just completed oil change with Rotella.  But I can then choose Delo or something like that next time.  Correct?

I wouldn't drain it out, it'll be fine

It seems as though some of this specification stuff is about catalytic converters also?  do I understand that correctly?  I don't have one of those, btw.

42 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yes, a lot of it is about how it impacts emissions and emissions equipment as well as newer engines with tighter tolerances being more particular about oil.

Yeah thanks.  I am thinking my 1998 with plenty of hours on it already is not going to be too worried about putting some hours on this summer using this Rotella.  We will see what I order for oil change at the end of the season this year.  I guess Delo will work if nothing else.

ahopkins22LSV

I have been using Rotella in my TXi since I got it spring 14. 450 hours later and no issues. I still have about 3 gallons in the garage that I bought in bulk, so not planning on throwing that out. If nothing in the oil changed, but the standard was set higher there shouldn't be any problems going forward still using it.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I have been using Rotella in my TXi since I got it spring 14. 450 hours later and no issues. I still have about 3 gallons in the garage that I bought in bulk, so not planning on throwing that out. If nothing in the oil changed, but the standard was set higher there shouldn't be any problems going forward still using it.

The oil has changed in some way - the new oil is T4, old was T3.  Not sure it'll matter for anything pre - cat but I'll be switching to the new Delo 400 LE/SDE SAE 15W-40 this year since it has an SN rating.

https://www.amazon.com/Delo-400-SDE-15W-40-Motor/dp/B003ZWD73M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496835148&sr=8-1&keywords=delo+400+le+15w-40

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

As long as the oil carries the proper ratings for your motor.

I have the 2003 Malibu wakesetter 23 lsv indmar 5.7 335 monsoon I have the Manuel for the motor but really does not say much other than 15w40

1 hour ago, Akrider174 said:

I have the 2003 Malibu wakesetter 23 lsv indmar 5.7 335 monsoon I have the Manuel for the motor but really does not say much other than 15w40

What your manual says is:

15W-40 Pennzoil Marine, API Service SJ/CG4 Racing Oil  

Which means that you need 15W40 that meets SJ/CG4 or better.   SM and SN rated oils are the "better" ratings of the old SJ standard  (The S? standard is for gasoline engine oil)

• Like 2

There really is no oil out there that will hurt your engine, as long as you watch the viscosity. Well maybe lawnmower oil, (API-SA),  so relax.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

To add fuel to this fire....

I just had an error that shut my engine down and required the dealer to wipe the code before it would crank again.  The tech had not seen the error code before and called PCM.  They stated that the error was a cam phaser sensor error.  Their suggestion was to check the harness where the Chevy and PCM harnesses plug together and do an oil change.  The harness was fine.  I did an oil change and the boat is running perfectly again.  I have the PCM 409 and was using the new Rotella (missing cert).  I had 20 hours on that oil.  That being said....I still had some of that oil and we were headed to a lake vacation the following morning.  I put more of the same Rotella in the motor and have 30 hours on that oil.  Next oil change I'll be changing brands, but my problem was definitely related to oil or oil filter.  I use a Wix filter.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, wakedncsu said:

I just had an error that shut my engine down and required the dealer to wipe the code before it would crank again.  The tech had not seen the error code before and called PCM.  They stated that the error was a cam phaser sensor error.  Their suggestion was to check the harness where the Chevy and PCM harnesses plug together and do an oil change.  The harness was fine.  I did an oil change and the boat is running perfectly again.  I have the PCM 409 and was using the new Rotella (missing cert).  I had 20 hours on that oil.  That being said....I still had some of that oil and we were headed to a lake vacation the following morning.  I put more of the same Rotella in the motor and have 30 hours on that oil.  Next oil change I'll be changing brands, but my problem was definitely related to oil or oil filter.  I use a Wix filter.

The is strange, and, interesting. I am not a mechanic, but I don't understand how oil could cause a code to be thrown like that unless it was complete loss of oil pressure. But I would think the tech would have been more familiar with that code.

What was the error code?

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, wakedncsu said:

Interesting, so it is a hydraulic cam phaser?  Did you have any weird oil pressure issues at the same time? 

2 minutes ago, Falko said:

Did they unplug the harness to check it and then re-connect? 'Cause that can fix the problem.

I did the work.  I did unplug and plug the harness.  I still got the code.  I then did the oil change.  The code went away.

14 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

The is strange, and, interesting. I am not a mechanic, but I don't understand how oil could cause a code to be thrown like that unless it was complete loss of oil pressure. But I would think the tech would have been more familiar with that code.

What was the error code?

As it was explained to me, PCM said there could have been debris in the oil that affected the sensor negatively.

ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, wakedncsu said:

I did the work.  I did unplug and plug the harness.  I still got the code.  I then did the oil change.  The code went away.

As it was explained to me, PCM said there could have been debris in the oil that affected the sensor negatively.

Interesting.

So now I am going to ask a stupid question to those who know more than me... Is that what the rating is for that the new Rotella doesn't have?