Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OMG!! New 22MXZ more problems

bottlefedsi

So I had started a new topic last week about the porpoise problem I am having with the 17 22MXZ and before I can even get that fixed another problem arises with only 22 hours on this thing.  Yesterdaywe are just relaxiing in the lake and decided to pack it up, go to start the boat and nothing happens, ok, start the whole "check the basics" problem, even try the battery reset but to no avail.  I get a "lost communication with ECM" and the fuel pump relay just starts clicking.  We tried everything we could, breaker reset, fuse pull and reinstall, battery reset.....nothing, completely dead in the water for almost 30 minutes.  I call the dealer to see if they had heard of that or what I am supposed to do and all I get is "thats a new one", I mean  come on!!!  This is really starting to frustrate me now, double money I guess means double the problems.  UGH!!! Rant over lol

41 minutes ago, bottlefedsi said:

So I had started a new topic last week about the porpoise problem I am having with the 17 22MXZ and before I can even get that fixed another problem arises with only 22 hours on this thing.  Yesterday we are just relaxiing in the lake and decided to pack it up, go to start the boat and nothing happens, ok, start the whole "check the basics" problem, even try the battery reset but to no avail.  I get a "lost communication with ECM" and the fuel pump relay just starts clicking.  We tried everything we could, breaker reset, fuse pull and reinstall, battery reset.....nothing, completely dead in the water for almost 30 minutes.  I call the dealer to see if they had heard of that or what I am supposed to do and all I get is "thats a new one", I mean  come on!!!  This is really starting to frustrate me now, double money I guess means double the problems.  UGH!!! Rant over lol

So what happened after 30 mins?

The boat just finally started for no reason, no blown breakers, fully charged battery.....I just tried one last time and voila.  Now I am super scared to even take it anywhere.

16 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

Always make sure you check the throttle is in neutral and then move it to forward and reverse then back to neutral if the engine won't crank. In addition unplug and replug the kill switch.

Absolutely tried all of that, so weird to to get the "no ECM signal" alert ,also no codes in diagnostics.

I hope you can get it figured out.  I had nothing but issues like this on my 13 VLX.  It kept going in to limp mode and throwing a random codes.  It didn't help that the dealer I was dealing with sucked, and I ended up being the one that finally figured out what the problem was.  Turned out just to be the wrong firmware in the main computer.  

Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with my 17 MXZ yet.  Only weird think that happened was that the steering just locked up while I was just sitting still on the boat, playing with the stereo, in the middle of the lake.  I went to fire it back up again and when I grabbed the wheel it was completely locked and I couldn't turn it at all.  After trouble shooting everything, I swam under the boat and gave the rudder a good firm shake.  Went back up and the wheel was perfectly back to normal again...Weird.  

I agree it being to much for the problems 100 percent.  Trust me, Im not taking this lying down, if the problems continue to exist I will be demanding they lemon law this boat, I mean 15 hours and nothing but problems. 

ahopkins22LSV
Just now, bottlefedsi said:

I agree it being to much for the problems 100 percent.  Trust me, Im not taking this lying down, if the problems continue to exist I will be demanding they lemon law this boat, I mean 15 hours and nothing but problems. 

It sucks you are having problems, but I am sorry nothing I have seen you post about will qualify you for lemon law. But, have you tried working with your dealer on the issues? I have never heard of the problem you describe in this thread so there is a decent chance that they haven't either. It is really hard to diagnose something online or over the phone.

7 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Hate to say but all new boats have issues.

Was talking about the whole thing about boats being essentially hand made with a friend yesterday.  They promote it like it is a good thing, when in reality, it is a very bad thing.

14 hours ago, bottlefedsi said:

I suggest reading up on lemon law and if boats actually are covered in your state. The greatest majority of the do not. Lemon law also generally requires multiple repeat issues of the same thing. Regardless the law also states that manufacturers have the right to address issues.

Just a thought before you spend a wad of money to find out it might not go anywhere for you.

14 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

It sucks you are having problems, but I am sorry nothing I have seen you post about will qualify you for lemon law. But, have you tried working with your dealer on the issues? I have never heard of the problem you describe in this thread so there is a decent chance that they haven't either. It is really hard to diagnose something online or over the phone.

^this^

1 hour ago, 67King said:

Was talking about the whole thing about boats being essentially hand made with a friend yesterday.  They promote it like it is a good thing, when in reality, it is a very bad thing.

If manufacturers find a way to build them with robots the price of them would skyrocket.

14 hours ago, bottlefedsi said:

I would check the law carefully in your state. Very few states have a boat lemon law. You are better off to work with the dealer and if that does not produce results contact Malibu directly. The problem is you have taken the nuclear option first and gone to public forums before giving them a chance to respond. I find reversing that order produces far better results.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, bottlefedsi said:

Let me get this straight, your boat, designed exclusively for surfing and boarding porpoises at high speeds and one electronic anomaly is serving as the basis for a lemon law claim?  

• Like 3

No boat should porpoise at a reasonable cruise speed my 2016 VLX would porpoise badly with any rear weight bias. The solution was to keep some weight forward or leave the bow tank 50% full. Still I did not like it and felt it was a design flaw to a certain extant. It may however be that in order to produce a great surf wave a compromise has to be made in the shorter boats. Trimming the boat with the bow tank may be a neccasary evil to get a great wave.

2 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

No boat should porpoise at a reasonable cruise speed my 2016 VLX would porpoise badly with any rear weight bias. The solution was to keep some weight forward or leave the bow tank 50% full. Still I did not like it and felt it was a design flaw to a certain extant. It may however be that in order to produce a great surf wave a compromise has to be made in the shorter boats. Trimming the boat with the bow tank may be a neccasary evil to get a great wave.

Guess they should just run such short props that the boats won't even reach porpoise speeds like the other brands.  :lol:  

Edited by 85 Barefoot
1 hour ago, Sailvi767 said:

I would check the law carefully in your state. Very few states have a boat lemon law. You are better off to work with the dealer and if that does not produce results contact Malibu directly. The problem is you have taken the nuclear option first and gone to public forums before giving them a chance to respond. I find reversing that order produces far better results.

Yep. That old adage that you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar applies a lot in interactions.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
fixed, oldjeep correction!
4 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Yep. That old adage that you catch more flies with sugar than s*** applies a lot in interactions.

I think the adage is more flies with sugar than vinegar - s*** catches plenty of flies ;)

• Like 3

Is your whole crew sitting in the very back of the boat when it starts to porpoise? Just because you have a top of the line wakeboat doesn't mean everyone can just sit wherever they want. If they do you will need to put some weight up front. 

Weight distribution is very important in a wake boat. 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I think the adage is more flies with sugar than vinegar - s*** catches plenty of flies ;)

Yea, not enough coffee yet this morning!

Fixed it, lol.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
11 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Hate to say but all new boats have issues. Normally between 40-50 hours you have them all ironed out. It is the opposite  of fun when you daydream about your new boat then it lets you down, not one But multiple times. Keep calm, be nice and stay in your dealers grill about taking care of you and you will be happy when all these little things pass. Congrats on a great boat, follow up with us after you work through your new boat "bugs". 

There is exception to this rule of 40-60 hrs. Just be a fanboy and your boat will come out the womb pure perfection everytime ??? sorry Harvey  typed that not me! 

Bahahaha 

And  ? <--- this is Harvey 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Guess they should just run such short props that the boats won't even reach porpoise speeds like the other brands.  :lol:  

I have not been on any other brands that won't run 25 to 28 MPH

Just now, Sailvi767 said:

I have not been on any other brands that won't run 25 to 28 MPH

well, to be specific, bottlefed, in the other thread said "above 30" and another poster referred to 32 mph.  There are absolutely boats from other brands that won't go that fast.