Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Gauge

About 1/2 of the time I start the boat, the gas gauge doesn't register. Usually turning the ignition off and back on gets the gauge to start reading again. I have looked for a loose wire but nothing pops out at me...any ideas on where to start?

I have noticed on the starts when the gauge works, the needle wiggles a little bit while the beeping is going on...and when the gauge doesn't read, the needle never comes off of pegged at empty while the other gauges start to wiggle when the key is turned on.

All of the other gauges work fine--just that pesky gas gauge.

The sending unit has been replaced--much more accurate than the stock one! The gauge reads correctly, when it "gets power"--I just don't know where to start to find the loose connection!

There is a bulkhead type plug mounted through the bracket that hold the computer on the back of the motor. It is on the starboard side, and held together with a hose clamp. The wiring coming out of that plug goes up to the dash. Try giving that a wiggle and see if the gauge moves. If that works, clean the plug. Mark the plug (it's round) before unplugging it, so you know what is the top when you go to put it back together.