Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Drain Hose not draining

Crazy.gif I tried to use the attached hose on the HH plug to drain the oil. I warmed the engine etc. opened the oil cap, opened the hose and nothing ever came out. I mean Nuthin'! It appeared that the hose was intended to be used through the rear plug of the boat and not the bottom and had a couple of kinks which i tried to staighten. I'm wondering, if loosening the drain plug with the hose attachement and attempting to orient it more towards the bottom hole it will facilitate draining. I was hoping not to have to suck oil with this new boat but so far that ain't the case. I could blow air through the hose into the engine so we know there was no obstruction.

i have always opened the drain house, started the Tempo "sucking", then gone into the house for awhile to do other stuff. when i come back out, most of the oil is in the tempo, and there is a little bit in the bucket under the boat.

pour new oil in the fill hole

and see if it comes out the un-obstructed un-kinked tube...

if it does...

you shouldn't have warmed up the boat

if it does...

Ok, now that's funny. I don't care who you are.

if it does...

I don't know, Rizzo might not find it so funny... :Doh:

if it does...

I don't know, Rizzo might not find it so funny... :Doh:

Yeah, sure he will. He's sending the bill the some Stoopid® guy in Michigan.

Shocking.gif

If you buy some brass fittings from Lowes or Home Depot and attach to your Suck UP you can srew it to the drain hose on the oil pan and suck it directly into the Suck Up with no mess, no need to warm the engine, and its quick (5 mins). Do a search on this topic and you'll find the links discussing this in detail.

If you buy some brass fittings from Lowes or Home Depot and attach to your Suck UP you can srew it to the drain hose on the oil pan and suck it directly into the Suck Up with no mess, no need to warm the engine, and its quick (5 mins). Do a search on this topic and you'll find the links discussing this in detail.

Still need to warm the engine - this traps the grunge in the oil.

How old is the boat from nowhere?

Said "ye olde vessel of immaculate deception" is an '06 LSV in Idaho. So far she's been a good girl, but it's kinda funny how these really sweet "features" end up needing "more improvement" to justify their use. I really feel for folks that own these boats with zero mechanical ability and/or tools to deal with all the things mentioned on this site that could possibly need a little fixin'. Unless we have a serious FU/warranty job, I'm not taking her offline for dealer service to fumble around for a week or two until the season ends. I must have missed the part in the owner's manual about tilting the boat. Also, I like the tip on fittings for the oil boy to actually suction out through the hose. Next chore... winterization. Sounds smoothe... no doubt it will suck.

Yes I had a simular problem. I heated the engine up good an hot then pulled it out of the water and drained the oil. Oil did flow and I let it sit for 24 hours draining. I put in 4 quarts of new oil (knowing that the HH takes 5.5 quarts) and measured the oil and it was way high on the dip stick. I figured it may still be ok becuase the filter didn't have oil and I am sure the headers hold on to some oil but I figured to be safe I would drain a small amount of new oil out and put it in the water and watch the level closely. It was 95deg out and I figured 40w would start pouring out when I removed the cap off the train tube, but nope, nothing, nodda, ziltch. So I put it in the water that way (well with the drain tube back in the boat iwth the cap on) and took it very easy and watch the oil level. It is almost perfect, just a small bit above the max full mark. I think I need to get an oil sucker.

I'm getting an "oil sucker" for this season's winterization too...which one are people using and where did you buy it?

I bought the tempo oil boy from the "ship to shore" store online... the usual boating suppliers like Bart's, Overton's, Cabela's, even Amazon and ebay didn't have this item in stock at the time. Apparently they sell well or they are junk and nobody wants to inventory them anymore... anyway the ship to shore joint had it for $60. I'd used one before and thought it worked really well. It took about an hour to remove 4.5 qts of 15-40 from the HH through the dipstick tube, mostly because you have to use the 1/4" dia. extractor tube and the "earl" is a bit viscous when warm. I also used it to remove the ATF from the tranny and the V-Drive too. I went on an oil changing rampage when I got the tempo, mowers, pressure washer, snow blower, atv's, dogs, kids. It works great and there's no mess.

I'm getting an "oil sucker" for this season's winterization too...which one are people using and where did you buy it?

I bought the tempo oil boy from the "ship to shore" store online... the usual boating suppliers like Bart's, Overton's, Cabela's, even Amazon and ebay didn't have this item in stock at the time. Apparently they sell well or they are junk and nobody wants to inventory them anymore... anyway the ship to shore joint had it for $60. I'd used one before and thought it worked really well. It took about an hour to remove 4.5 qts of 15-40 from the HH through the dipstick tube, mostly because you have to use the 1/4" dia. extractor tube and the "earl" is a bit viscous when warm. I also used it to remove the ATF from the tranny and the V-Drive too. I went on an oil changing rampage when I got the tempo, mowers, pressure washer, snow blower, atv's, dogs, kids. It works great and there's no mess.

:lol:

I can relate.

one more thing comes to mind.

if you just pull the plug on the bottom of the oil pan (especially if you've got the drain-tube) but don't open the fill-cap, or at least pull the dip-stick...

the oil may not drain out due to vaccuum

air has got to get in, for the oil to drain out

oh, and make sure the engine is sloped toward the drain hole in the drain pan - not toward the open end of the drain hose (wherever that may be)