Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

17 suburban pull a 17 m235?

maliboobie

Got a 17 m235, about to buy a new Suburban - tow capacity is 8000 pounds, boat supposedly is 6200 pounds. Seems like the math works to me.  Anybody towing a M235 with a suburban? Would like to lift it 4 inches and put 33s... just trying to see if anybody has experience with this set up

Does that 6200# include the trailer as well? if not that's probably another 1000#, and those weights are dry, with no fluids fuel, gear etc.. Just some food for thought, hopefully someone with suburban towing experience  will chime in.

I would be shocked if the weight of the boat, trailer, fuel and gear was anywhere close to 8K. 

More likely closer to 9K than 8K loaded up

If not saying you shouldn't tow with it.  I'm just saying if you think you are going to be under the rated numbers I wouldn't count on it

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, ilovetrains said:

I was reading this, and thinking, well he will probably be overweight, but to each their own...then I read this.  Just don't.  Lifts significantly compromise all towing dynamics.  From braking to sway.  Just don't.  

And bigger tires with no accompanying gear change to preserve the effective gear ratio reduces the tow rating.

Just now, nyryan2001 said:

Your M235 is an 8-8500lb tow including ~1700lb trailer.

What kind of hitch do you have on your Tundra towing a G23?  Tundra is rated for 10k pounds.  I know my dealer uses his Tundra to tow the M235 on short trips (boat show, demos) he said it does fine.  I believe he has the standard 5k class 3 hitch.

56 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

suburban is only available with a class 3 hitch.  Anything over 5k requires a weight distributing hitch.

This is the weak link.  And as far as I have found, it is impossible to upgrade as the hitch is part of the frame.

5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Shiny, what does that have to do with this thread?

Look 3 posts up.  Fman asked.

by hitch I assume he meant ball mount.  Pretty much All late model Tundras come standard with factory hitches.

Just now, nyryan2001 said:

Look 3 posts up.  Fman asked.

by hitch I assume he meant ball mount.  Pretty much All late model Tundras come standard with factory hitches.

what class factory hitch?  Which is what I believe he was asking.  Most half ton pickups are available with class 3 or 4 hitches from the factory.

Edited by oldjeep

I donno... when I bought in 2009 it was rated at 11,800lbs.... it was since dropped in 2011ish to ~10k when Toyota complied with SAE J2807. 

The hitch reciver has had to be north of 12k.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

suburban is only available with a class 3 hitch.  Anything over 5k requires a weight distributing hitch.

I did some research on this and using an aftermarket WDH on a trailer with surge brakes is a not a good idea.

I'm not an expert but I did stay at a holiday Inn Express last night.  

Just now, bamaboy said:

I did some research on this and using an aftermarket WDH on a trailer with surge brakes is a not a good idea.

I'm not an expert but I did stay at a holiday Inn Express last night.  

There are plenty of surge brake compatible wdh hitches.  

9 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

POIDH

Here is a picture - go to e-trailer and filter by Surge Brake compatible.  They are not exactly a new thing.  E-trailer lists 74 of them 

Untitled.jpg

boathitch.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

Once I towed a small track hoe about 15 miles on a large trailer behind a Silverado 1/2 ton with no trailer brakes. I'm pretty sure it took five years of life off the truck and at least that much off me. That's the vision I'm getting here.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, nyryan2001 said:

I donno... when I bought in 2009 it was rated at 11,800lbs.... it was since dropped in 2011ish to ~10k when Toyota complied with SAE J2807. 

The hitch reciver has had to be north of 12k.

I don't know what the Tundra hitch capacity is, but just because the truck is rated to tow 11,800 pounds does not mean that the standard hitch is as well.

GM lists the 2017 Yukon XL with a tow capacity of 8300 pounds, but the hitch isn't rated for that weight unless you go WDH.  I would bet dollars to donuts that the Tundra is the same.

Back on topic, the 2017 Suburban is rated to tow only 6300 pounds.

I am not the weight police (far from it actually), so, back to the OP's question, just make sure you go into this with your eyes open.  The manufactures tow ratings are only a number, and a balance between the marketing team's desire to push for something like "best in class" vs the bean counters wanting to limit exposure (mainly warranty).

Before someone brings up misinformation, I am unaware of any state that gives any legal standing to the manufactures tow rating.  You won't get a ticket if you are pulled over.  And your insurance won't deny coverage if you are in an accident.

To me, there is a spectrum of adherence to the tow ratings.  There are those that swear you should only go to 80% of the tow rating.  And there are those that think if you can hook it up, you can pull it.  It is up to each individual to decide where they stand.

For the record, my secondary tow vehicle for my 23LSV is a 2011 Yukon XL Denali.  It towed the boat horribly until I upgraded the trailer tires.  Now it does OK.  My boat can drag the Yukon down the boat ramp.  I would think a heavier boat like the M235 would make things worse.