Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakesurfin

Chia

i am getting fairly good at spinning a 360, the problem is i can't seem to stop rotating to catch the wave again so the 360 can turn into as much as a 720 by which time i just sink slowly into the water. i am using the small fin on the phase 5 icon. i have been watching video online but cannot quite duplicate the technique.

any advice?

thanks

It is quite easy in fact. Step one is to put away the surf board and dump the ballast. Step two get feet into the bindings of a slalom. Step three, get behind the boat and have driver accelerate to a speed grater than 30 mph.

Problem solved :lol:

Seriously, I am just thrilled to go ropless for more than a minute let alone do what you are describing.

It is quite easy in fact. Step one is to put away the surf board and dump the ballast. Step two get feet into the bindings of a slalom. Step three, get behind the boat and have driver accelerate to a speed grater than 30 mph.

Problem solved :lol:

Seriously, I am just thrilled to go ropless for more than a minute let alone do what you are describing.

i tried doing a 360 on a slalom ski once. it wasn't pretty.

Wish I could just do the 360 Cry.gif Check out Wakeworlds surf area. There are some top notch guys that ride pro that would be willing to help you out.

There are really professional wakesurfers??

I found it very hard to stop on the smaller boards at first also. I have found that to stop from spinning and catch back into the meat of the wave is to put more pressure to the rear foot and more to the wave side of the board. It is easier to control your rotation when you are as far back from the boat as possible. When you are close to the back of the boat the wave is very steep and fast. The further back you go the wave is not as steep and the whitewater will help you stop but be prepaired to pump the board back into the heart of the wave. The bigger boards are easier to stop mainly because they have larger fins. I'm not the best teacher in the world but most everything I do I learned from watching the pro's and looking at videos on the net. I also secong what mikea said about Jeff Walker from the walker project would also be a great contact for this too. The other place you may also find some more advice is www.wakesurf.net the Walker's are on that site as well. Good luck

i second the comment from buggs and mike - jeff walker posts quite a bit a wakeworld and wakesurf and just recently had a big post on doing 360s on wakeworld - check it out... also agree with buggs- sounds like you need to put a bit more pressure on the wave side of the board to stop.

small clarification on the walkers - jeff and james -- jeff is the dad (surfdad on wakeworld), james is his son (surfkid) - james is the one you see in the pics getting air, etc. oddly enough, they are not related to "the walker project" -- other than i believe they sponsor them or at least send them a lot of prototypes to test and review -- the guy who runs walker project is named mike walker -- jeff is a CPA - so if you need any tax advice you might ask him as well.... very helpful guy.

Wish I could just do the 360 Cry.gif Check out Wakeworlds surf area. There are some top notch guys that ride pro that would be willing to help you out.

There are really professional wakesurfers??

Yes.gif There are compitions as well. There is going to be one this next weekend at boardstock in Clear lake CA.

Jeff would be a great contact and his son is vary good.

I was trying lip slides this weekend and figured out that you need a great surfboard for doing tricks. The best board I have riden for them was HLN's phase 5 up at the WOW.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for all the advice. i did manage to do 1 and one only 360 spin (attempted all summer) where i caught the wave and continued surfing. I have no idea how i did it. Most (99.99% as it turns out) of my spins turned out like the one in this vid of yet another attempt.

another 360 attempt

Looks like a good attempt - I say start the rotation closer to the boat, that way you have more space and can rotate slower without dropping out of the sweet spot.

I can't do it though... Biggrin.gif

It does look like you're allowing the board to keep spinning rather than getting it to "bite" into the wave again once it's completely around. I would want to try it a little closer for the reason that Sac states, but I think that it probably comes down to a comfort level with your own wave. It looks like once you get the board all the way around, you're still in a good spot on the wave, so if you can get it to bite at that point then you're probably fine with where you are. So as many others have stated, a little more toeside pressure is probably what you need.

I can't do it either, FWIW. I can easily spin the board with the handle & I've been able to do 180's without it, but I can't stick 'em. I need more practice on heelside first. Damnit, now I want to go surfing.

It does look like you're allowing the board to keep spinning rather than getting it to "bite" into the wave again once it's completely around. I would want to try it a little closer for the reason that Sac states, but I think that it probably comes down to a comfort level with your own wave. It looks like once you get the board all the way around, you're still in a good spot on the wave, so if you can get it to bite at that point then you're probably fine with where you are. So as many others have stated, a little more toeside pressure is probably what you need.

I can't do it either, FWIW. I can easily spin the board with the handle & I've been able to do 180's without it, but I can't stick 'em. I need more practice on heelside first. Damnit, now I want to go surfing.

I agree with Tracie on this one. I have been practicing this on my Inland Surfer and it does not seem to rotate nearly as easily as your phase 5. My problem is not spinning fast enough to keep up with the wave (DD Wave is alot smaller) but I think you are actually spinning well you just need to get back on your toes after the spin to make the boards edge "bite" back into the wave.

I am still having a tough time sticking it consistantly as well.

I am almost doing 360s behind my boat now. I dont seem to have any problem stoping the spin. Im ridding the phase5 prop. Just start back on the wave, speed forward, pump up the face, do the first 180 on the peak, and the second on theway back down. then pump pump pump to stay in the wave.

again, thanks for the advice, it is pretty much the same thing I have been hearing all summer. Looking at the vid now, i am thinking, do a 3/4 spin then come straight down the side of the wake to the outside of the boat, then cut back into the wake behind the boat?

here is a vid of a guy who is amazing on the wakesurf board. hardly anything of a wake and amazing tricks.

Best Wakesurf Video Ever