Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 'Bu Owner Here!

meb885

Hey Guys and Gals, i just bought a 1994 Malibu Echelon Brokerage from Skiers Pier in Waterford, MI.

I have been told i got a great deal and they gave me the link to this community to learn more about all things malibu, i am told it throws a GREAT wake for beginner skiiers and Barefooters (I haven't barefooted in about 10 years since i last was behind a mastercraft PS190) but i will be using it for my entertainment services company which sells beach parties and company picnics on the lake offering tubing, and basic skiing to business members and their families, so i dont need a great wake for wakeboarding or anything too fancy.

It has 131.9hours on it as reported by the internal computer that still works completely, which i am told is a rarity on the type of computer and LED read out that is on these particular model boats.

Only problem is 10 minutes after launching it i quickly found out the hard way that local residents who live on the launch channel got tired of people launching Power Boats thru the channel and started throwing large building grade cinder blocks into the channel...... Pop goes the Prop, the propshaft, the coupler, and the strut. was the least fun 10 minutes i've ever been in the water. Will definately be launching it elsewhere when i get it back. Hopefully able to get a FEW weeks of fun in before having to pull it out and winterize it.

-Mark

Pictures Follow. Click to Englarge.

th_273c1bdd.jpg

th_955b10ff.jpg

Crap. Is this on a public lake? There has got to be something the law can do about that. If you did that much damage, your insurance company might be interested into looking into who is responsable for such a thing.

Oh, welcome to the Bu family!

Crap. Is this on a public lake? There has got to be something the law can do about that. If you did that much damage, your insurance company might be interested into looking into who is responsable for such a thing.

Oh, welcome to the Bu family!

yeah it was a public lake, if anyone Knows lakes in MI its Cass Lake in Keego Harbor, MI.

The city sells keys to the boat launch for $10 a pop, so i am going to go to the city 1st and be like dude your selling keys for a boat launch that did $1054 worth of damage to my 1 day old boat.

Going to launch into cass lake thru a DNR boat launch this time, straight shot into the lake, no canal.... thank god for insurance.

-Mark

Mark, welcome to the site!!! I would do what lakenut said and tell your insurance company about people putting the cinder blocks in the water, get a hold of the city, call the police, and then go out there and Bash.gif their heads in Mad.gifGuns.gif

Wow, I would not have been happy about taking out the underwater gear my first time out. I would be talking with the gov about those cinder blocks. Good grief.

You Guys are So Friendly....i feel right at home already!

As for taking out the underwater gear...im just glad i didnt tear the hull too in the process... Id rather have an insurance claim and my boat back within a week and a half than have my boat on the bottom of cass lake cuz i tore open the fiberglass.

Thanks for all the welcome messages so far guys, i think im going to like it around here....hope to become a frequent poster as i learn more about my boat from you guys, hopefully i can add back opinions, pointers, etc. I am definately a first time boat owner but in no way a 1st time skiier or boarder, or driver, so maybe i can help out there...I'll be relying on you guys to help me learn what comes with owning my own boat instead of renting one on a day by day basis tho. ;)

As for taking out the underwater gear...im just glad i didnt tear the hull too in the process... Id rather have an insurance claim and my boat back within a week and a half than have my boat on the bottom of cass lake cuz i tore open the fiberglass.

Thanks for all the welcome messages so far guys, i think im going to like it around here....hope to become a frequent poster as i learn more about my boat from you guys, hopefully i can add back opinions, pointers, etc. I am definately a first time boat owner but in no way a 1st time skiier or boarder, or driver, so maybe i can help out there...I'll be relying on you guys to help me learn what comes with owning my own boat instead of renting one on a day by day basis tho. ;)

wow under 200hrs is pretty low. I saw that boat, but I'm buying a 94 echelon from just down the road in Novi. Unfortunately the computer on it doesn't work. Cry.gif they can reset themselves pretty easily from what I hear, but the pier is very reputable so I wouldn't worry there. Good deal on that boat if you paid around what they were asking.

Hopefully I will have mine in the next few weeks, and hopefully I won't hit anything Shocking.gif

The locals on the Milwaukee River did the same thing when they got sick of Mike Siepel running his barefoot school on the river. They dumped a big load of gravel in the launch. Property-owners can be downright absurd when it comes to "their" water...

The locals on the Milwaukee River did the same thing when they got sick of Mike Siepel running his barefoot school on the river. They dumped a big load of gravel in the launch. Property-owners can be downright absurd when it comes to "their" water...

Yep..and those are the kind of people that are the first to call the Dept of Natural Resources when they get an algae bloom or some other problem they want the DNR to fix. It's "their" water until some money needs to be spent, then it's a public waterway that needs the protection of public tax dollars!

Welcome to the site Mike...you will find lots of good info here and some general chitchat too.

Sorry to hear about your Day 1 experience that really does suck but it sounds like you have a good attitude about it. Love the boat!

wow under 200hrs is pretty low. I saw that boat, but I'm buying a 94 echelon from just down the road in Novi. Unfortunately the computer on it doesn't work. Cry.gif they can reset themselves pretty easily from what I hear, but the pier is very reputable so I wouldn't worry there. Good deal on that boat if you paid around what they were asking.

Hopefully I will have mine in the next few weeks, and hopefully I won't hit anything Shocking.gif

The Echelon that was on Ebay in Novi? i watched that auction end, like down to the last minute debating bidding on it... we could of been in a bidding battle... Tongue.gif yeah that one looked nice as well, it had the Bimini as well didnt it? I never went down to look at it but yeah i got a great deal on the one from Skiiers Pier, you taking your echelon back to canada? maybe if u ever have it around here our boats can play together.. lol.

One good thing about the computer not working....You dont have to look at it saying "Malibu Boats, Custom Built for Gil Hoekstras" when u turn the key....lol (can i reprogram that?????)

The Echelon that was on Ebay in Novi? i watched that auction end, like down to the last minute debating bidding on it... we could of been in a bidding battle... Tongue.gif yeah that one looked nice as well, it had the Bimini as well didnt it? I never went down to look at it but yeah i got a great deal on the one from Skiiers Pier, you taking your echelon back to canada? maybe if u ever have it around here our boats can play together.. lol.

One good thing about the computer not working....You dont have to look at it saying "Malibu Boats, Custom Built for Gil Hoekstras" when u turn the key....lol (can i reprogram that?????)

haha. I was at my cottage with about 15 people playing texas hold em and I was on the comp... they were all chearing me on. I didn't think I would win because I bid the reserve 2 days before it ended. I was on dial up so you may have been able to take it for an extra $100!

It does have the bimini and although I haven't seen it in person I've been assured it has been very well taken care of. I am going to take it back to Canada. Maybe a rip on one of the nice lakes in Michigan on the 26th of August? I need a course to ski in!!!

Well, it wouldn't be on the bottom of the lake, it would be resting on those blocks. You know, like the Camaro in the front yard.

j/k - welcome to the site and congrats on the new boat. My first Bu was an Echelon, I still miss that boat.

I would say that once the city was notified of the hazzard that they would become responsible for any future damage if they did nothing about it. By selling you that use pass they contracted with you for a 'service' that you should reasonably expect is safe. So, they would be responsible to a) contact all users, B) post notice of the danger at the ramp, c) close the ramp, d) correct the problem. So, I would ask around to find out if anyone filed a report with the city public works or with the local law enforcement before your mishap occured.

Also, someone in the neighborhood will know exactly who it was that dumped those hazzards. Word will get around and if the coast guard, dnr, local law cares about stoping it they will have to do something about it. Encourage the law to talk to each other and agree on who has authority over this.

Good luck with the new boat. It can only get better.

Oh, by the way, you should probalby be looking at geting the cheapest prop you can, or if possible repairing your old one for now. Sounds like there might be another discount on ACME props before spring. (unless your insruance is willing to buy you an ACME now.)

Welcome to the site.

Sorry for your luck. You gotta be very careful boating on strange waters.

I'm sure you'll love the new ride once it's fixed.

The guy I bought my boat from kept it at Skiers Pier.

Hope you get it fixed right and soon.

Yeah, im talking to the city today since they are selling the padlock keys for the launch.... i am also in the process of asking around about other people damaging their boats in that launch....unfortunately being so late in the season not too many people are putting boats IN the water at this point.

As for it being on the blocks like a camaro....is that really better then sinking? The camaro on blocks on the lawn sits for years till u cant get anyone to take it off your hands...what happens to a boat suspendded on the cinder blocks that broke it......how long can it sit....lol

As for an ACME prop, i dont know what brand or type prop they're putting back on....all i know is for an insurance clain i told them to make sure it was new not reconditioned....lol....same deductible either way.

-Mark

Make sure they install an ACME prop!

I bought a new 4 blade Cutter prop the day I got my boat as it needed a prop and the dealer sold me on it. I then picked up a ACME 525 3 blade an the hole shot is way better with the ACME and just better performance all the way around.

On a side note you want to buy a cutter prop with less than 10 hrs on it?

I have no idea what prop is in the quote that they ended up doing....insurance already has the estimate and everything so i cant ask them to change anything now....

this means nothing to me but maybe someone can tell me what kind of prop im getting.... the work order calls for a 1313x1.25 Prop

is the 1313 a model? a specification number? i dont know what im getting...lol