Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

best ski wake..or lack of??

dharr

Can some of yu give me some imput on your boat and the wake that it makes. i have a malibu sunsetter VLX now, and that does NOT work for skiing. i am getting rid of it, and getting something else. preferable around 20k.

Sunsetter d-drive? what are these like to ski behind?

maybe even some pics of your wakes?

Thanks

Do you ski only or board too? If you board, find a '99 to '02 Sunsetter LXi. Mine is a '01. Awesome ski wake and enough board wake with the Wedge and some sacks. If you don't board, why not go for a Response?

Do you ski only or board too? If you board, find a '99 to '02 Sunsetter LXi. Mine is a '01. Awesome ski wake and enough board wake with the Wedge and some sacks. If you don't board, why not go for a Response?

I second that but the years are 99'-04'. In 05' They changed the hull.

Personal Opinion -

My favorite is the Response LX but since I often have more than 3 or 4 people, I went with the Response LXi.

The RLX has a slightly harder but smaller and narrower wake. The RLXi has a softer but taller and wider wake. Either will do nicely for slalom/footin. The RLX is probably a little better for boarding.

Missed the $20K part ... in that case, a used Sunsetter LXi. It is not far from the Response and you would most likely only notice the difference in a course.

/Steve

Edited by ibelieve

You're correct about the years of the Sunsetter LXi hull, but the problem with anything newer than '02 (and maybe even '01 or '00) will be finding something within the $20k budget that has been well taken care of.

I second that but the years are 99'-04'. In 05' They changed the hull.

I'll 3rd the Sunsetter Lxi, but you may have a difficult time finding a decent one < $25K.

You're correct about the years of the Sunsetter LXi hull, but the problem with anything newer than '02 (and maybe even '01 or '00) will be finding something within the $20k budget that has been well taken care of.

Gotcha.

I've got a 00' Sunsetter Lxi I'll sell you.. It has a wake like a jetski.

You want to let it got for 20k then? ;)

Since you had a v-drive, but are dumping it I'm going to assume two things here:

1. your slalom wake is much more important to you now than your boarding wake

2. you want space for storage and passengers, which is why your bought the v-drive in the first place

Given those two things are true, I'd say the following would fit the bill in this order:

1. Sunsetter LXi

2. Sunsetter

3. Response LX

Given the $20k requirement and the fact that it has changed (for the worse) recently, which has potentially driven up the resale value of the older ones, a Sunsetter LXi may be hard to find in that range. I only see this one http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/3/85090553.htm on BoatTraderOnline right now around that price.

So, that leaves us with the Sunsetter, which I had for a few years until I went to an RLXi.

Nice boat - good storage, although they went to a real trunk in, I believe, 2002 that is much nicer. Preivously it had a flip up back seat that was so, so. I'm not going to say the wake is up to par with an RLX or RLXi, but it was a real nice wake for slalom and even footing. From a driving standpoint it had more of a Cadillac feel to it than an RLX or RLXi - no big surprise here.

Just my $.02.

Mike

Edited by mlange

Gotcha.

If you let it go for 20K - I'd seriously look at it. I just happen to be in the market (where's that VTX brochure?)

Gotcha.

23k and its yours.. 20k might be low balling it just a little bit.

And I heard they ski better when you cut the coolers out Innocent.gif

More room for ballast! LOL

Biggrin.gif

Sunsetter d-drive? what are these like to ski behind?

Thanks

We have an '03 Sunsetter 21XTi and love it. We are primarily skiers and the wake is nice. It's not what you would get from a Response, but we have been very pleased. I don't have any pics but maybe I can get some this weekend.

Like the others have said, I think it depends on what you like to do. We slalom but don't run a course. And we are very new to wakeboarding, so the wedge is plenty for us. When boarding or tubing with the rope on the tower, there is plenty of seating. Not so much when skiing off the pylon. That is one downside of direct-drives.

I'm pretty sure that 2003 was the first year the XTi came with the Diamond hull. I don't know if you can fit one in your budget, just trying to answer your question about Sunsetter DD's.

thanks much for all the imput. i will ask a basic question. what is the difference between the sunsetter lx, and the sunsetter LXI. there is a 98 sunsetter DD here with a wedge for sale. will that work? or is the LXi that much better?

Yes i am more towards the skiing now, and that wake is still more important thatn the wakeboard wake. but i do NOT want a small response. not enough storage or water clearance.

Thanks

I have to agree with the other "sunsetter" owners. I have a 2001 Sunsetter and the wake with the wedge down is great for wakeboarding but the slalom wake is pretty good. I ski and board with three other guys who all have responses...they are rather good skiiers in the course so they notice the difference behind my boat. If you need or want more room and can handle a little bump between bouys 2 and 3...sunsetter is a good option. Good Luck! Biggrin.gifBiggrin.gifBiggrin.gif

thanks much for all the imput. i will ask a basic question. what is the difference between the sunsetter lx, and the sunsetter LXI. there is a 98 sunsetter DD here with a wedge for sale. will that work? or is the LXi that much better?

Yes i am more towards the skiing now, and that wake is still more important thatn the wakeboard wake. but i do NOT want a small response. not enough storage or water clearance.

Thanks

the Sunsetter LXI wake is significantly better than the Sunsetter LX. The LXI has the same hull surface as the Response during the prime LXI years.

Edited by Addictedto6

Thanks

The LXI is 8" longer than the LX and has a large storage area in the back of it. The LX uses the "wake hull" vs the LXI's "diamond hull", and the LX holds an extra 3 gallons of gas.

Given the $20k requirement and the fact that it has changed (for the worse) recently, which has potentially driven up the resale value of the older ones, a Sunsetter LXi may be hard to find in that range. I only see this one http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/3/85090553.htm on BoatTraderOnline right now around that price.

Mike

That one looks like a good one. No wedge, but I think I can at least see the wedge plate in one of the pics. We looked for a long time last spring at only the 2000-2004's (we did not like the one piece seat in the 99's)and I hardly saw anything even close to 20K unless it was torn up interior and 500 hours!

Skiline's for 23K looks great too!

We love our "new" 2001 Slxi great wake!

post-1386-1155919057_thumb.jpg

Edited by 89SN2001

Am I going crazy or does anyone else see the "broken record" thing going on here.... :unsure:

Nevermind... :)

Edited by skiline00

Thanks

The LXI is certainly a better choice between the SLX and the SLXI (99'-04'), due to the diamond hull and flatter wake.

Thanks

the Sunsetter LXI wake is significantly better than the Sunsetter LX. The LXI has the same hull surface as the Response during the prime LXI years.

The SLXI (21'8" x 93.5") is wider and longer than the Response or the Response LX (20' x 90").

Thanks

The LXI is 8" longer than the LX and has a large storage area in the back of it. The LX uses the "wake hull" vs the LXI's "diamond hull", and the LX holds an extra 3 gallons of gas.

The SLXI is 8" longer however since the truck is cantilevered it has the same surface area on he water plus a 18 cu. ft. trunk for storage.

We have a 2006 sunscape with the diamond shape hull 21 ftr with 340 and wedge in back my wife and son wake board and ski the wake is great. I on the other hand barefoot and pull lots of footers an the wake behind the boat at 100ft is great the curl is awsome and wake not hard to cross when footing. Two weeks ago i pulled an amiture tournment fo wakeboarding with my wedge down and one factory balist tank up front filled the riders were in AWE the could not belive the wake they thought it was totaly awsome.

Sunsetter LXI, imo, problem is with center ballast and wedge down , it still throws less wake than a non weighted non wedged 21 vdrive, but awesome family / ski boat.