Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Wakesetter false Low Voltage

I finally purchased my first boat last fall, a 2012 Malibu Wakesetter 24.7 LSV.  Loving it.  Since then I have spent a lot of time reading here on the forums becoming more familiar with my boat.

While it has been a great experience, it has not been without incident.  The primary annoyance, is that the touch screen is constantly reporting a low voltage situation.  I have now gone through significant effort to resolve the situation.  I had both batteries tested and both came back as almost new.  I bought battery trickle chargers so that I can shore charge the boat between rides.  I have taken a voltmeter to it and everything seems to be in order.  I now how a voltmeter that plugs into a power port and gives me the voltage.  The voltage is always above 14v when running and above 12v when stopped.  Finally, I had the dealer look at it and they agreed, all is well, the alarm is the problem, not the voltage.   The "computer" will need to be replaced, that'll cost you $2k, thank you for your money.  Well needless to say I am not excited about dropping $2k on a new computer.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and how did you resolve it?

What is the "computer" that needs to be replaced?

Having looked it over I am guessing it is the device labeled Viper Malibu Medallion 1539-10798-01.  I am very handy, can do pretty well anything I set my mind to.  Electronics are very easy for me to understand, part of what has been so frustrating about this situation.  Assuming that is the device, I can get a replacement for far less than the $2k the dealer is asking and should be able to install without issue.

Is there any reason I could not replace that module myself?

I am concerned that there might be special re-programming required, or specialization to my boat that I may not be able to do.

Having spent many hours reading, your thoughts and comments are very appreciated, both in the past, and any you may provide now.

XkeHnE_toIEon6p4y7eSpjGOA35_5tg9F3TO0hom

Edited by AaronMefford
Add Image

Before you dump 2k into a new brain, have you considered getting the lastest software update for it? Might work, might not but I bet someone on here can send it to you for free to eliminate that possibility.

Did not realize that was an option, would have assumed the dealership would have done that.

What does it take to get a software update installed?

Get the current version for your '12 sent to you from a crew member or your dealer should be able to do it for you for a pittance of a sum :whistle:and 2 week wait right about now . IIRC some dealerships were providing them to/for the customer. Down load it on a thumb drive. Go to the boat and bring up your diagnostics screen and press UPDATE MALIVUE. Plug in the thumb drive and follow the prompt(s). I only had one prompt IIRC. I had a weird and annoying LOW DEPTH warning keep going off. The update evidently fixed the issue as I haven't had any more instances like I had in the past.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 2010 with the same issue. I am going to try this. 

Hoping that will solve the issue.  I am going to start with the alternator to starter first then try the battery to Perko switch if that doesn’t work.  I don’t think it it the computer as I have measured the voltage at the back of the key and the voltage drops 1 volt there as soon as I turn the key on.  I also replaced my alternator which didn’t change anything other than I now have a spare alternator.

Let us know if you find anything different. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump on this one.  I have a 2008 24 LSV that suffers from same issue. Any updates on this?  Would like to know how much length of cable was needed when anyone did this successfully too.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Any update on this?  My 2011 VLX has been doing it since I bought it a few years ago.  Finally had alternator replaced and spark plug cables and still having issue.

Most voltage drop issues are caused by loose, corroded, or faulty electrical connections.  Starting with the battery and going to the main cable connections on the engine and under the helm are a good place to start.  The same kind of problems with the pins on the main harness and component plugs can also cause voltage issues.