Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hows your F150 holding up?

isellacuras

15 hours ago, isellacuras said:

I ended up with the 3.5L. I know it will tow better than my 5.3L 2001 Tahoe. New truck is rated at 7000#. 

I made the same transition from a 5.3 Tahoe to an Ecoboost exactly like yours. You may forget the boat is back there it will tow so much easier. 

5 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Wow!  Took a trip up to a lake at 2000ft ASL. It's about an hour and a half drive. I knew the boat was back there but truck barely broke a sweat. I don't think I got over 3500 rpm where my Tahoe was on redline the last 20 miles or so. Very happy with the performance. Looks pretty with boat in tow too. FACFF041-6438-4F9B-AFB5-AC4EBE2A3091.jpg

65FAAD64-292E-4724-ACE9-BF32C9D87677.jpg

Looks sweet Brian. That's a sweet set up

A NA engine will never keep up at altitude with a FA engine. That is one big advantage to turbo engines. ISA, nice looking set up, need some black wheels for the trailer though ;)

Beware of the new 10 speed in the new f150, mine has been in the shop 3 times now for over 2 weeks total time. They can't seem to find out what's wrong. Most of them are fine.

I have a 109k on my 2012 F150 3.5 EB and it runs just as well as day 1. I usually like to get a new ride in this miles range because the truck tends to start feeling a little old and I'm still stuck in the 90's where 100k was the end of life for most vehicles. I'm just going to keep mine serviced and keep her going. Next year's F150 diesel may change my mine though

25 minutes ago, surfdude said:

Beware of the new 10 speed in the new f150, mine has been in the shop 3 times now for over 2 weeks total time. They can't seem to find out what's wrong. Most of them are fine.

I think mine is a 6 speed. 

2 hours ago, Falko said:

need some black wheels for the trailer though ;)

I can't bring myself to do it. I don't care how it looks on the trailer. The truth is on the water ?. Kidding aside, there's so many other things I'd rather spend money on than wheels, tires and fenders. Mine get me to the lake just fine. 

• Like 3

I'm at a surf comp right now and one of the dealers brought down a tige rzx and towed it with a lariat f150 and it was not handling it well. Not sure which engine it had, I'm guessing the big Eco boost, and it also had small lift. The back end when loaded down with that monster, it was weighed down so low it was insane and it was just swaying around. Not as bad as the fuel consumption, he went through a full tank within 250km of uphill highways:cry:

Congrats on the new pickup! But am I the only one that can't see the pics?   I tow my Craz with a 16 F150 2.7L ecoboost and it does great.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 11:52 PM, Cole2001 said:

I'm at a surf comp right now and one of the dealers brought down a tige rzx and towed it with a lariat f150 and it was not handling it well. Not sure which engine it had, I'm guessing the big Eco boost, and it also had small lift. The back end when loaded down with that monster, it was weighed down so low it was insane and it was just swaying around. Not as bad as the fuel consumption, he went through a full tank within 250km of uphill highways:cry:

If it wasn't handling it well it would have to either be a smaller 2.7 ecoboost or be geared completely wrong and still have the lift + tires. The 3.5 F150 when set up correctly is the best thing there is aside from stepping up to a 250 or 2500. 

35 minutes ago, robbennett said:

If it wasn't handling it well it would have to either be a smaller 2.7 ecoboost or be geared completely wrong and still have the lift + tires. The 3.5 F150 when set up correctly is the best thing there is aside from stepping up to a 250 or 2500. 

I for sure know it was not the 2.7, that would have been way overloaded. 

This truck, different boat. 

If I were looking at an older F150 (say 11-12-13), what are everybody's thoughts on the 6.2?  I know I'd be giving up a little fuel economy.  But the simplicity of the N/A motor is appealing in light of the problems that have been described with the eco.

Am I crazy?

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

If I were looking at an older F150 (say 11-12-13), what are everybody's thoughts on the 6.2?  I know I'd be giving up a little fuel economy.  But the simplicity of the N/A motor is appealing in light of the problems that have been described with the eco.

Am I crazy?

Very good engine. Know multiple people with them in Raptors F250 and FX4 trucks. You can also find really good deals on them! 

The F250 with the 6.2 is horrible, they need to give up on that combo. Was talking to a well service crew the other day that said the pulling unit could out run the truck when it is pulling the crew trailer. That is bad!

My dad had a 2012 f250 with the 6.2 and he enjoyed it. No problems, but he definitely likes the Chevy better. Skiing buddies work truck is also the f250 and he said it was a decent truck. 

Edited by Cole2001
On 2017-07-08 at 8:52 PM, Cole2001 said:

I call bs on the 250km. I scaled my ri and I'm 8500lbs on the trailer lake ready and I just towed the #3 to osoyoos with my 3.5 ecoboost lifted with 35's and I did the 400km trip on one tank of fuel with about 20 litres left over. I'm also doing 120 up the slide hill so I'm not taking it easy. I have air bags in the back of mine and it's the. Eat truck I've ever towed with and I've had them all. 

1 hour ago, wheelman said:

I call bs on the 250km. I scaled my ri and I'm 8500lbs on the trailer lake ready and I just towed the #3 to osoyoos with my 3.5 ecoboost lifted with 35's and I did the 400km trip on one tank of fuel with about 20 litres left over. I'm also doing 120 up the slide hill so I'm not taking it easy. I have air bags in the back of mine and it's the. Eat truck I've ever towed with and I've had them all. 

Well that's what he said. It might not have been completely empty but enough to stop for gas. That was from Kelowna to hope with a triple axle rzx3.

7 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Am I crazy?

I know many Ecos out on the road and the biggest issue I have seen is a bad coil on plug.  Ya other issues have come up  but no worse then any other power plant and less then many.  One #ell of a lot of them on the road. I love them and thinking of getting a new vehicle I want the Eco.  As for fuel economy the respond to what the driver is asking for I see some running quite low but as with anything how you drive and how its packaged. The people  I know who drive them in the normal range are seeing 18 / 19 overall MPG. Nothing overwhelming but then the performance of a large V8. For me I would hesitate to buy any other power plant. I don't want diesel.  

7 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Am I crazy?

The eccoboost is just so nice. I was also concerned with turbos and other stuff. I just added a warranty to 120k for $2300 which is cheap piece of mind for me. Covers all the nick nacs as well as the big stuff.

I rolled 140k this week on my 2013. I will roll 141k next week. I love my truck. I really want a 2017 Limited, but they are quite proud of them. I will probably end up with another Platinum. 

Those that have the Coyote on the F-150 forum love them.  When with question of 3.5Eco v 5.0 Coyote gets asked, it's a lot like like listed v surf gate around here.