Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hows your F150 holding up?

isellacuras

42 minutes ago, JasonK said:

Was it an interference designed engine?

An interference engine is one that if the timing chain/belt breaks, the valves will physically contact the pistons causing damage.

5 hours ago, lmm1967 said:

WOOHOO - My reputation is equal to my post count!! At least until I hit the Submit Reply button on this one.

All joking aside I've lurked around here for a while - mainly looking for info, researching  etc.  We have been boat-less for about 2 years (previous boat was a Cobalt) and are ready to jump back into the boating world. Malibu, Axis or (GASP) Mastercraft are all on our current list of possibilities.

Malibu 25LSV, Axis A24 or MC X23 or the main contenders right now.

Purchase will be sometime late this winter most likely (Atlanta boat show perhaps) and since we probably won't be able to test drive boats around then - we're learning what we can now.

Wasn't my intention to come across as bashing the EcoBoost motors - ours was great right up until it threw the timing chain codes. They don't ALL have the issue - but the numbers are high enough that Ford has issued a TSB on it.

Gotta watch out for fan boys, there are plenty for for every make. Just seems like the EB's are more sensitive than others.

• Like 2

Just a warning for GM 4 cyl. Eco-tec motor owners: they are interference designed and won't warn of timing chain/tensioner failure. Replace your timing set before 150k miles.

17 hours ago, lmm1967 said:

Ours went south at 61,900 miles on 2011 2WD XLT - Ford refused to good faith even though the TSB was referenced. I sold the truck to the dealer on the spot.

I had a rod bearing letting loose on a 2014 3.5 EB, 70,000k miles.  Ford was great took it back swapped me for a 2017 Lariat, love the new gen2 3.5 EB and the 10 speed trans. Restarted my payments with no additional cash to the deal.  It was the deal of a lifetime.  Only deal with the GM.  Trust me things get do e.  A good reputation is what they want.

2013 SCREW. Timing chain and cam phasers at 60K. Not fun. Warranty. Switched to full synthetic after they told me oil residue was building up. GTDI design sucks, thus the reintroduction of port injection technology in new 2017 ecoboost engines.

Edited by Sride

I've had good luck with mine. 2012 EB Screw Max Tow. I'm at 140K and still truckin'. No issues so far, just kept up with maintenance. Synthetic oil, trans at 100K (pan drop not flush), plugs at 60k and 120K. It tows really well. I recently pulled about 9000 lbs from Colorado to Va and it did great. I'm also offroad 5 days a week working for a ski resort. I'll buy another if i dont go diesel. 

I am pretty sure part of my issue was related to the place I was getting the oil changed. I asked the manager of the place if he was putting synthetic blend like it calls for and he got all weird about it. Wouldn't surprise me if they were running regular oil through it. The phaser issue was an OEM manufacturing problem.

Long story short, I am back to doing my own changes on the Ecoboost with Pennzoil Ultra Plat. If you want it done right, _____ __ ______! I plan on dropping the pan this month and also changing out the transfer case fluid.

Edited by Sride

I'm at 95k on my 2011 5.0.  So far so good.  Does anyone have a maintenance schedule for these.  I've found conflicting ones.  Should I change the trans fluid soon.  I'm sure I could use plugs too.  All I've done is oil, brakes and air filters. 

• 2 weeks later...

I little twist in my search has me looking at a new 2017 with the 2.7L EB.  I tow a 2012 VLX so its maybe 5500# on the trailer (best guess).  I don't think I will be upgrading the boat any time soon so what are your thoughts on the 2.7?  I was pretty well stuck on the 3.5L but had no evidence to support my wants and desire for the bigger engine other than it was bigger and more powerful.  I have a friend that works for ford and he sent me over a lost leader deal in which the numbers sound pretty attractive.  I am also hunting a used 3.5L 2014 with 32000 miles that is a pretty well loaded FX4.

On 7/2/2017 at 9:28 PM, isellacuras said:

I little twist in my search has me looking at a new 2017 with the 2.7L EB.  I tow a 2012 VLX so its maybe 5500# on the trailer (best guess).  I don't think I will be upgrading the boat any time soon so what are your thoughts on the 2.7?  I was pretty well stuck on the 3.5L but had no evidence to support my wants and desire for the bigger engine other than it was bigger and more powerful.  I have a friend that works for ford and he sent me over a lost leader deal in which the numbers sound pretty attractive.  I am also hunting a used 3.5L 2014 with 32000 miles that is a pretty well loaded FX4.

Have you considered a brand new, lesser trim level F150?

Here's why I ask... I was watching Raptor videos  the other day and saw one comparing a lifted STX at $45k to the Raptor at $70k. It wasn't trying to say the STX was better; it was simply made to show a two ends of the spectrum. I watched that video and actually liked the look of the lifted STX more!!

Now let's talk price... the truck in the video is overpriced because it was built by Southern Comfort. A stock STX supercrew with 5.0L motor is $43k MSRP but easily had for $33K (I found several dealers willing to go there). Add the 6" lift, 20" wheels, and 35" tires and you're at $40k (worst case). Do a level kit instead and it's even cheaper. And the STX has some nice features for a relatively base truck (i.e. 8" touchscreen, backup camera, body color bumpers, etc). Add aftermarket leather for $1500 and be done!

Don't like that idea... bump up to XLT and you have the option of the 3.5L ecoboost and few more creature comforts. 

Anyway, here's the video... love that blue truck (ignore the white one)

Yes I am considering new also. Not sure I want to spend 40-45k for not exactly what I want. I started looking for <$30k and finding myself looking at nicely equipped Trucks in the 35-40 range with +/- 30k miles. I drove 2+ hours this morning to look at a loaded 2013 fx4 3.5 EB in my second color choice and it turned out to be a total POS. The deal my buddy sent me was a screaming deal on a new one which has most of what I want but only had the 2.7L. Caught me off guard cause I know nothing about that power plant and it's capabilities. I'm almost home from my wasted journey today so I may stop by ford and actually take a look. 

34 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

I'm officially in the F150 club. 2014 FX4 3.5L EB, luxury package, navigation, moonroof and more. 34k miles. Looking forward to towing with it. Going to break it in tomorrow and take the boat up to the hills. 

E773C91F-23B9-4B1E-BA08-34491F2F4A50.jpg

Very nice.  Congratulations.

But a black pick-up in CA?  I thought they banned that color and vehicle ;)

After not having air in my Tahoe for the last 6 months or so, the black truck is nothing since it has great A/C,cooled seats and remote start. Keeping it clean will be another story. I have had two black cars and after each one, I swore I'd never have another. 

On 7/2/2017 at 11:28 PM, isellacuras said:

Your boat/trailer is closer to 6500lbs. My old 06 was just shy of 6,000 and I know this 2012 is heavier.

11 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Your boat/trailer is closer to 6500lbs. My old 06 was just shy of 6,000 and I know this 2012 is heavier.

I ended up with the 3.5L. I know it will tow better than my 5.3L 2001 Tahoe. New truck is rated at 7000#. 

On 6/22/2017 at 8:14 AM, NHolladay said:

I had a rod bearing letting loose on a 2014 3.5 EB, 70,000k miles.  Ford was great took it back swapped me for a 2017 Lariat, love the new gen2 3.5 EB and the 10 speed trans. Restarted my payments with no additional cash to the deal.  It was the deal of a lifetime.

Only deal with the GM.  Trust me things get do e.  A good reputation is what they want.

So I've read your post 10 times and it makes no sense.

you laud Ford for doing you right and swapping you into a new truck.... then something happens and you start talking about GM?

10 minutes ago, nyryan2001 said:

you laud Ford for doing you right and swapping you into a new truck.... then something happens and you start talking about GM?

"Only deal with THE GM"

Meaning, only deal with the General Manager of the dealership if you want to make sh*t happen.

Edited by MaliWop
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

Sorry bro by GM, I meant General Manager of the Dealership.  Straight to the top. He was the GM of the Ford Dealership I bought from.  I should have been more clear